Home Ratings & Reviews

Bad draw

Last night I had a Romeo Y Julieta and the 5Vegas Alpha and both cigars had a great taste, when you can taste it the draw on both of these cigars was terrible, I litterly had to use a wire to poke a hole thru the cigar to get any kind of smoke, I was completly disappointed...

Comments

• jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    yea, that happens from time to time even to the best cigars.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    in general, if you keep your cigars in the humidor longer some of the burn issues "age out"
    I also find that a cigar with too much humididty will daw more firmly.
    there is a tool out there that takes care of that. Its called the cigar poker... or something like that. You can tell by how little i know about it that i do not have one. Ive heard nothing but good things about them though.

I hope that helped.
  • golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    The following link will take you to a great tool to help improve the draw of a "bad draw" cigar. http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=38
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Yea, it's a real pain in the posterior when the draw affects the enjoyment of your smoke. I have not heard any negative comments about the cigar poker so it probably can't hurt to have one. I use a straightened out paper clip when the draw is tight, it helps.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Thanks for the tips everybody, I just took a wire clothes hanger and cut a 9" straight piece and made a handle and it works perfectly...
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Not to mention cheaper ;)

Not ~everything~ in this hobby needs to cost high $ to be good ;)
  • i usually use a toothpick to open it up a little. works sometimes but not always.
  • jclew6300jclew6300 Posts: 2
    I have these kabob skewers that are threaded like screws - that has done a great job at fixing tight draws.  I think I got them for a couple bucks at the grocery store.
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    I love the ingenuity.
  • matt.hickeymatt.hickey Posts: 54

jclew6300:
    I have these kabob skewers that are threaded like screws - that has done a great job at fixing tight draws.  I think I got them for a couple bucks at the grocery store.

All that comes to mind is Clinton and Lewinsky when you talk about **** your cigars. LOL Sorry couldn't pass it up. Thanks for the tips!

-Matt

• VinniumVinnium Posts: 12
    What type fo handle did you put on the metal hanger. I don't think we have any metal hangers around the house, all plastic. Probably not going to perform as well, LOL. Great one about Bill and Lewi.
    What constitutes a bad draw? Am I supposed to get a lot of smoke from one draw?
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    I just bent the wire to form a handle, I think a bad draw is like trying to smoke a brick, very little smoke for the effort....
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    matt.hickey:
    Not necessarily a lot of smoke per se. While you should get a respectable amount of smoke, a bad draw is primarily indicated by the amount of effort is required on your part to "draw" air (and the produced smoke) through the cigar.

So if you are straining so hard your eyes bug out and your cheeks are caved in, but only a tiny puff of smoke is produced...that is a bad draw :P
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Smoke=Fire:
    matt.hickey:
    Not necessarily a lot of smoke per se. While you should get a respectable amount of smoke, a bad draw is primarily indicated by the amount of effort is required on your part to "draw" air (and the produced smoke) through the cigar.

So if you are straining so hard your eyes bug out and your cheeks are caved in, but only a tiny puff of smoke is produced...that is a bad draw :P

i like my draw a bit firm.
    I dont want it to feel like i have a 50 ring straw in my mouth. I want to feel as if i am sucking in a thicker liquid...like a half melted milkshake. It makes me feel like i am being productive. Not only that but too easy of a draw and you will burn hot because there is too much air passing by the cherry of the cigar. Fire likes O2. I find that i like the draw to be a bit harder than most. but again, its what you feel will be a good draw.

As far as smoke goes... I like a ton of smoke. Some of the best cigars will have a bit of resistance and a ton of smoke.
    Thanks for the clarification. I have had both a good draw and a bad draw now and I think I better understand what you are talking about.
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    16 finish nail works great. 
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What level do you keep your humidor at? I used to keep mine at 70% because I was afraid of oil loss over the years and I would sometimes have issues. Since switching to 65% boveda packs I have had literally zero draw issues. I also have not experienced any flavor loss, so long as I keep the cello on, even long term. *That tool Kuzi referenced is called the draw poker and it does work rather well. You have to order it from thompsontheterrible though...lol. 
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't handle the necro! 

dancing happy tom cruise elephant burger