Home Non Cigar Related

Respect for the Flag

YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am a member of our Rotary International club which meets on Thursdays.  We begin each meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance.  There is an elderly member who is confined to a wheel chair.  I watch each meeting how he struggles to stand up for the Pledge and I wonder why finely toned athletes cannot stand or put their hands over their hearts to honor the flag.

I know this sentiment had been expressed before, but I watch how proudly this man tries to stand and I can't help but think how sad it is that others won't bother.

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    I am a member of our Rotary International club which meets on Thursdays.  We begin each meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance.  There is an elderly member who is confined to a wheel chair.  I watch each meeting how he struggles to stand up for the Pledge and I wonder why finely toned athletes cannot stand or put their hands over their hearts to honor the flag.

I know this sentiment had been expressed before, but I watch how proudly this man tries to stand and I can't help but think how sad it is that others won't bother.

I agree. But, one must never forget the underlying truth. The one that says, “No matter what, there’ll always be an a$$hole around, somewhere.”  

So sayeth The Oldfart.......  👴🏻
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my property whenever you see the stars and stripes you will also find the Gadsen. I won't demand or expect people to respect a flag of any kind, but I'll be stuffed if they won't act the part of a patriot on my ground. In public, they can be as pig headed as they choose, as it is their right and part of the reason I served my country proudly. I don't have to like their opinions, but at least they have the freedom to have opinions.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    So I have to ask.
    Why is an athlete that represents the US allowed such behavior?
    Why are any athlete allowed that?
    In the 80s, a professional baseball contract included clauses that could bench you, fine you or discipline you for actions that go against the morals of the team.
    Clearly, that is no longer the case. 

These athletes today have no idea of what it means to put your ass out there to protect and serve. 

Because some politicians have empowered them to insult the rest of us. 
    In a word TDS (3 words) TDS TDS TDS TDS TDS TDS TDS TDS TDS
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Respect for the flag is clearly outlined in 4 USC, Chap 1, Subpart 8.  Used to carry a fine or jail time.  There is, however, no longer a provision for penalty of any kind associated with violating said Code.  The SCOTUS rescinded that provision in 1990, a mere 8 months after it was enacted.  
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    YankeeMan said:

I agree. But, one must never forget the underlying truth. The one that says, “No matter what, there’ll always be an a$$hole around, somewhere.”  

So sayeth The Oldfart.......  👴🏻
    I was an advisor for a youth group, and I always taught them “Every one is an a$$hole sometimes”. And I usually proceeeded to prove the point myself! How you doing Marty? Hope Barb is well!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember being very proud, when I was old enough, (and after considerable instruction on the proper handling and due respect for our nation's symbol,) I was allowed to raise and lower our country's flag at my elementary school. We would have a rotating two man detail, we knew how to fold it, and we knew all that we were expected to do and all that we were not supposed to do with the flag. For example, if it started raining, we were excused from class to retrieve it, allowed it to dry, and properly folded it and put it away, all with respect for it's meaning. This is how we learned at an early age that it represented all our blessings as American citizens and that is why we cared for it diligently.