Home Cigar 101

Possible mold in humidor while seasoning

Ram_0922Ram_0922 Posts: 7
edited July 2019 in Cigar 101
I am seasoning my new humidor. I have digital caliber IV hygrometer that I calibrated twice with salt test. The humidor is a Mantello 100 count glass top. I did not wipe down, only put distilled water on sponge and let it sit in there for about 1-1 1/2 weeks. I also have Xikar’s gel humidifier in there that I used Xikar’s PG solution to fill. Now my reading for my hygrometer has been up to 85-90 and after doing some research on these threads I saw that patience was key and usually try and let it sit for 2 weeks to let the wood get seasoned from the sponge. But my humidity never came down and now I think I have mold in the humidor. My question is what do I need to do next, open it and let it dry out or I took out sponge should it start to drop on it’s own the humidity levels, just at a lost on what my next move is so any help is greatly appreciated, thanks. Also, this is my first attempt at seasoning a new humidor.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    From here it only looks like it's on the edges of the cut-outs on the tray. Is that the case? If so, pull the tray out, (Wash your hands before and after. You don't want to be spreading this mold to other surfaces.) and treat all the mold with a 50/50 solution of rubbing alcohol and distilled water. Allow it to dry thoroughly and return it to your humidor. If this mold is all over the remaining interior, you'll have to treat the entire insides and allow it to dry thoroughly and start your seasoning process over again. 

After reading all your posts, I think you may have gone too long with the seasoning. I would say remove all humidification and allow RH to drop. When it gets down about to the seventies, put your cigars and humidification inside. You should keep your humidor full of cigars, the more the better. It's always trial and error with these desktop humidors. Usually error. And it's never the same way twice. There are too many variables. As for me, I gave up on them years ago. I keep everything in coolers, and recommend bovedas in all circumstances.  

Welcome to the forum @Ram_0922. Keep us posted on your progress.  
  • Ram_0922Ram_0922 Posts: 7

@bob_Luken yes the mold is only on the trays so I will wash that tonight and let it air out a little bit and then start the humidity dropping process as well and take out the humidification devices as well and let it drop down and then put them back in as well when the time is right.

Thanks for input as well. I will look into bovedas as well but was hoping to season it without those and try the process without them as well but if they are that good then I will use them to make my life easier, lol.

@Ram_0922 Remember that when you put the tray back in it will be dry, so roughly 20% of the wood surface area inside your humidor will be dry and will drop your RH until it evens out. 
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never "seasoned" a humidor of any kind in my life longer than 3 days. I've also never used more humidity than that which I will need to properly hydrate my cigars. I lightly wipe down every wooden surface with a damp sponge several times, add the proper hydration, sit for a day or three, and off to the races. Done. There's no need to brag about having the patience of an expert jackrabbit hunter, no need to claim to possess some secret ancient wisdom, either.
    Do you want to know why I think people claim to have success at seasoning those little wooden desktop humidors over the span of 272 years? Because somewhere, at some point in the midst of their insane adventure, the weather permits the external variables to no longer hinder what's happening inside the box. Anything that is comprised of wood and doesn't have a thermal barrier and moisture barrier built into it, is gonna always fight with the external environment because it's breathing. That's right, in the age of everything electronic, people are waking up to the fact that their old analog hygrometers are far too ineffective, and this gives way to the understanding about better humidor options such as the Coleman Cooler. (which is the very reason I arrived here, to seek out greener pastures and learn from those who have actual experience)
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    @Bob_Luken last time I had a humidor question you told me to light it on fire and thank you later. For the record I did not take your advice LOL
    I go through spells. 
  • Ram_0922Ram_0922 Posts: 7

I wiped down the trays last night and am letting them air out. It is so difficult, after reading through all these threads to get a humidor seasoned and working right. I wish I would of come on here first and read all these posts and then see that I should use a cooler or coolidor before I spent the money on a humidor. Oh well there is only one way to learn and that is to go through the process. I am learning a lot by coming on here and reading so my thought is that I am gonna try this humidor again, with Boveda, and see if I can get it stable before I go to cooler method. I don't want to give up just yet. I will let you know how this turns out though and my final thoughts after this process is all done.

Thanks for info though.

The cigar retailers make desktop humidors seem like a newbie necessity. It is an often repeated tale. New guy buys humidor. New guy can't get humidor to regulate RH. New guy comes here and discovers we're all using plastic storage.    

Here are two ways you can have it both ways.

Use a plastic storage container to store your cigars until your humidor is ready and if things ever get out of control you have something to retreat back to. 

Or,.... 

Find a cooler that will hold your humidor. And if you ever want to show it off,... it would be fine outside of the cooler for a weekend or so if you want to have access to it, or want people to see it.  (I keep several desk top humidors inside my coolers, plus extra cigars in trays and boxes.)
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    The cigar retailers make desktop humidors seem like a newbie necessity. It is an often repeated tale. New guy buys humidor. New guy can't get humidor to regulate RH. New guy comes here and discovers we're all using plastic storage.    

Here are two ways you can have it both ways.

Use a plastic storage container to store your cigars until your humidor is ready and if things ever get out of control you have something to retreat back to. 

Or,.... 

Find a cooler that will hold your humidor. And if you ever want to show it off,... it would be fine outside of the cooler for a weekend or so if you want to have access to it, or want people to see it.  (I keep several desk top humidors inside my coolers, plus extra cigars in trays and boxes.)

Man, if I could make your entire post into a signature line, I would. Nothing sums up everything humidor related better than this.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't overthink it. 

Wipe it down with distilled water and a new sponge. Close it for a few days. Throw your hydration in there with good cigars and a digital hygrometer. Keep an eye on the humidity. If it's too low, throw some 80 gram boveda packs in there. It's a new humidor, so it probably doesn't leak. 

If it's somewhere between 62 and 72 you're just fine. If you want to get more technical and precise than that, time to buy a tupperdor.
    Don't look ↑
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BKDog said:
    I've never "seasoned" a humidor of any kind in my life longer than 3 days. I've also never used more humidity than that which I will need to properly hydrate my cigars. I lightly wipe down every wooden surface with a damp sponge several times, add the proper hydration, sit for a day or three, and off to the races. Done. There's no need to brag about having the patience of an expert jackrabbit hunter, no need to claim to possess some secret ancient wisdom, either.
    Do you want to know why I think people claim to have success at seasoning those little wooden desktop humidors over the span of 272 years? Because somewhere, at some point in the midst of their insane adventure, the weather permits the external variables to no longer hinder what's happening inside the box. Anything that is comprised of wood and doesn't have a thermal barrier and moisture barrier built into it, is gonna always fight with the external environment because it's breathing. That's right, in the age of everything electronic, people are waking up to the fact that their old analog hygrometers are far too ineffective, and this gives way to the understanding about better humidor options such as the Coleman Cooler. (which is the very reason I arrived here, to seek out greener pastures and learn from those who have actual experience)
    While I keep most of my cigars in Tupperware with Boveda packs, I also have one of those desk top Humidors that works perfectly.  I started with the distilled water and a new sponge and so on.  No Joy.  Did the put a small light in the box and go into a closet and shut the door.  Hmmmm I see light.  Went to Home Depot and go the smallest weather stripping they had. Carefully run it along the top, close it and back in the closet,  Yea no light!.  Go online and get the Boveda seasoning kit. Couple days later put cigars in Humidor with a couple Boveda packs, and now a few years later my cigars rest comfortably and smoke great.  Thanks to the Cigar.com Forum
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Nothing wrong with having a nice looking humidor. I’ve got 2 myself. Plus the 3 120qt coolers( going on 4 if I don’t knock it off). Coolers are great for storage but look like **** in the den, office or living room. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too recommend Boveda for easy upkeep of your humidity. 1 large pack for the humidor a 1 for every 50 cigars. Also I’d use a solution of white vinegar and distilled water to clean those trays just to make certain you kill the mold.  2 parts water,1 part vinegar. Then let them completely dry and wait till you cannot smell the vinegar anymore.