Home General Discussion

Silver Salmon Derby

Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
Headed to Valdez, AK ( yep, where the guy hit the rock and spilled all that oil in the 80's) for a couple days of chasing silver (coho) salmon.  Here's the gig:  

Three forum fivers up for grabs.   One each for heaviest salmon,  total number caught and total weight.   There are two of us going, only my catch counts. 

I'll get back Tuesday evening; winners posted Wednesday.   Its a 7 hr drive; I'll be on the road back by 1 PM Tuesday, so I'll take guesses till then.  
I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've chased the silvers in the sound before...awesome time! How many days are you going for?
    Don't look ↑
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Down Sunday, back Tues...so figure 2 full days.  Booked a charter for Monday and have gear for the rocks at Allison Pt Sun PM & Tues AM.    
    Still 2 per day on the tags up there? I'll guess 5, 51 lbs, with the biggest being 14 lbs
    Don't look ↑
    Depends whether you're north or south of the line.  2 for halibut, different number for salmon and that varies by type.   Won't say to keep from skewing the guesses..😀😀😀
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    66 lbs, largest 15.5, 9 fish
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heaviest coho16 lb,  total catch 8,  total weight 100
    A little dirt never hurt
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Heaviest coho16 lb,  total catch 8,  total weight 100
    16?
    They are little ones?
    I guess I'm used to Chinooks and Sockeye.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to say:
    Heaviest 20
    Total # 7
    Total Weight 87
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    29 lbs
    total 269 lbs.
    ill pay for shipping on a few lbs!
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    24.5 lbs

6 Total

98 lbs for the lot 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heaviest salmon 12 lb,  total catch 16,  total weight 125

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

Well.....   got back a few minutes ago.    Have to sort through things to ascertain the lucky few, bur the weekend totals are...and I'm not making this up.....0, 0 and a big fat 0.   2 days of hard fishing yeilded precisely 1 silver salmon between 4 of us on the charter and none off the shore.  Worst fishing I've ever encountered.   So i'm going to try again in a couple of weeks.  Stay tuned!!
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, I hope you are able to stock up on the next trip.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope you had fun anyway.
    Crunched the guesses...    @TNBigfoot68 takes the total weight with 66 lbs.   @NorCalR1 gets the total number with 6. @IndustMech takes the heaviest with 12 lbs.   Need nachos for you first 2 guys if you'll PM me.   I'll get fivers headed out as soon as I get 'em....  Congrats!!
    Btw...   the average Prince William Sound coho salmon runs about 14 lbs and the daily limit is 6.  Had things gone as planned, averaging things, solid guesses would have been around 16-18 for the heaviest, 12 for total, and about 170 for total weight.
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry you struck out!  That’s why it’s called fishing, and not catching. Hope you tie into them on your next outing!  Tight lines. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
    Happens that way sometimes, @skydiverD.   At least it wasn't windy, raining and miserable too.  Valdez is breathtaking when you can see it.
    Those are the most pathetic fishing results I have heard of since the last five times I went fishing for silvers... :D

I know the real deals that you were saving them all for the next trip.  Get them next time brother
    Don't look ↑
    It's been tough the last couple years.  The state let all the commercial purse seiners come right up to the Narrows and that's created a complete block. Not much getting through. 
  • Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You ever go shark fishing there? I went once and got skunked. Later I was reading the Alaska Air mag on the plane that had an article about the guide. He said he always gets fish, well except for one time! 
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

Nope..never did intentionally.  Caught one when we were chasing halibut.  That was interesting
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember being a kid, and catching a massive lingcod while after rockfish. That was terrifying...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    I remember being a kid, and catching a massive lingcod while after rockfish. That was terrifying...
    I remember catching an eel when I was 7, it was several feet long,  wrapped itself around my kidsized fishing pole and then around my arm. Rather scary....
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winnings arrived today from Santa Paul @Trykflyr_1 a killer lineup thanks again.

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Winnings made it with no damage from the long journey. A few of my favorites along with some new ones I’ve yet to try. Thanks Paul

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, Paul.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.