Home General Discussion

Yep Humidor Question

Hey Guys/Gals,

It's been a while since I've been able to visit this forum.  With the addition to a few kids, I've been busy with other life events and haven't had time to explore my new/old hobby.  Anyways, I had a buddy of mine buy me a box of cigars the other day since he knew I haven't had one in years and of course that got me got me scrolling through cigar forums and deals again.  Before I start diving into cigars again though, I'd love to set up a humidor that I can store all of these cigars and easily take care of.   I've been reading a lot about the wineadors again, but I also seen that newair has come out with a humidor system which is pretty much resembles a wineador.  

It looks like the wineador route would allow you to buy a bigger humidor for the price and the only real downfall compared to the newair system is that it maxes out at 66 deg?   

I guess I'm just looking for some up to date opinions on these systems.  Last post I found scrolling through the search tab was in 2016,

Thanks for any help and it's nice to come back to see whats new.

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have both. 66 is fine for temp
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigh, Your search skills suck.  Look up coolidor, so simple, so easy, so cheap, plus you pick the size=storage space.  If temperatures truly are a factor for you, there are many other wineador options, for those use google.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cooler.   If you don't like how it looks, get a desktop you can show off,  throw a few sticks in it for when your friends come over and otherwise leave it empty.  Put a couple Boveda packs in the cooler, fill it with smokes and toss it in a closet.   
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • FryFry Posts: 12
    Sigh, Your search skills suck.  Look up coolidor, so simple, so easy, so cheap, plus you pick the size=storage space.  If temperatures truly are a factor for you, there are many other wineador options, for those use google.
    haha, I can't disagree with that.  Maybe the search function is better on the computer rather then my phone?  Thanks for the tips, I'll look into the cooler.
    Usaf06 said:
    i have both. 66 is fine for temp
    Do you have a favorite between the two or do they both have their pros and cons?
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's true. On my phone, I can't find one post about humidors, traveldors, coolidor, or wineadors. The only results that come up are the posts about the best Gurkhas and how to serve cigar beetles covered in chocolate at your next barbecue. Very strange....
    Don't look ↑
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just my opinion, but the Whynter 251S is superior to the NewAir varieties. But, it's your money. And yes, 66 is as cool as it goes with the Whynter, but the NewAir can be set to go down as far as 54F. I just haven't had any luck with my NewAir, maybe that's just my luck. If I had it all to do again I would go with the heated and cooled NewAir, but I'd still go with a Whynter now.  A regular Coleman cooler is probably the best bet, though. Some folks don't like the way they look, but whatever. I'm almost to a point where I have to turn an entire bedroom into a walk-in humidor...geez.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had to replace the board and heat sync on my wynter after about 2 years. Other then that no issue with either. You don't have to buy the humidor versions. A regular wine cooler is fine as long as its thermoelectric 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Do you guys run a fan in your Wineador or just beads?  I've read some articles where the fan could cause mold, but other articles where people suggest having one.....
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fry said:
    Do you guys run a fan in your Wineador or just beads?  I've read some articles where the fan could cause mold, but other articles where people suggest having one.....

The coolidor/wineador units come with fans built-in, which circulate air. I've heard of no mold issues with the stock fans, and attribute any such claims to improper humidification.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."