Home Cigar 101

Help! Is this mold??

RobearRobear Posts: 12
Can someone let me know is this mold please? 

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it brush off? From the pictures, it looks like some staining or watermarks. Would need a higher-quality picture to know for sure, but if it brushes off or if it was kept in a wet environment that you just pulled it from, it's probably mold. Not the end of the world. Clean it and re-season it and you're good to go.
    Don't look ↑
  • RobearRobear Posts: 12
    No it doesn’t rub off 
    i just pulled it out and rub some alcohol on it 
    Here a better pic
    So you're talking about the black spots. I thought from the first picture you were talking about the white. I have something similar in my cabinet humidor, right under where the humidifier goes. I'm guessing it's more discoloration. But if you hit it with alcohol, you definitely got it and shouldn't worry about putting your smokes in it.

If I were overly paranoid, I wouldn't put any cigars on it for a little while until the wood re humidifies since you dried it out. I'd put a boveda over top of the spot for a month or so, then feel free to stack cigars on top of the boveda to allow the wood to rehydrate. 

That is, if I were paranoid. Personally, I'm not paranoid, so I would just throw it back into the humidor and pile it up with sticks. one thing I've learned since I got serious with this is that cigars are way more resilient than I am and way less affected a little tiny tweaks in the situation than I am. The other thing that I've learned is that properly humidified cigars are the best humidification device that you can own.
    Don't look ↑
    Thanks for the great advice @VegasFrank

Hope you stick around brother. This is a pretty cool place ...
    Don't look ↑
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Rather than starting a new thread I'll hijack this one, since it seems to have been answered.

I received a couple boxes of ccom Cameroon Label on the 21st.  Today I decided to label them with the date and found one moldy one in the 1st box and the 2nd box was mostly moldy.  Is this more common with budget sticks or is it just from these sitting in the warehouse longer?  A bundle of Upmann Legacy I bought a few months earlier started showing signs of mold, as well.

Maybe @TheCigarChick has some insight into this, being in the business and all.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 296 admin
    @ShawnOL This would not be due to a stick being considered budget vs premium (for example), it's mostly likely due to the time it's spent in the humidor in conjunction with where it is in the humidor.  With that being said I'd have to check bin location because there are thousands of SKUs and I'm not insane enough to memorize them.  B)

Did you contact Customer Service?
    @ShawnOL Also, despite our humidor being kept at a strict 70 RH, it is the size of airplane hanger and stocked floor to nearly ceiling, so there's that.
    edited September 2019
    No, haven't contacted anyone yet.  Just discovered it.  I figured the budget bundles might just sit on the shelf longer than the premiums.  That, and my experiences with the budgets.

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both my boxes were fine, or I need new glasses! 
    Surprised the hell outta me.  Oh well, these things can happen.  Hopefully they'll have another box that's still good.

@ShawnOL This would not be due to a stick being considered budget vs premium (for example), it's mostly likely due to the time it's spent in the humidor in conjunction with where it is in the humidor.  With that being said I'd have to check bin location because there are thousands of SKUs and I'm not insane enough to memorize them.  B)

Did you contact Customer Service?

Thanks @TheCigarChick.  I sent an email to Andy d.  The websites "contact us" page is broken.  Keeps asking to redo the "captcha", which there isn't.

If I'm ever out that way, can I get a tour of the warehouse?  I bet the world's largest humidor  smells awesome.

@ShawnOL if you're using your phone to contact customer service, you need to request the desktop site or turn your phone horizontal to see the captcha thingy.
    Don't look ↑
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you got them on the 21st and there is mold already, it isn't likely it's anything to do with your storage.
    UNLESS, you live in an area like me and it's 80+% humidity most the time.
    But even then, I'd have to say mold isn't likely to grow in a week.

Personally, I hate it when I get soggy cigars from vendors and 70% to me, is soggy.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    @ShawnOL If you're out this way give me a heads up, but I'd have to check with Security if we're allowed to bring non-employees or non-vendors in there. Not saying it won't happen, but I don't want to make a promise I can't deliver, you know?

I will preface it's insane down there, LOL. Guys on forklifts and in cherry pickers, constant beeping, people flying around with carts and shipping boxes picking orders... I'm pretty sure I'm going to get run over down there one day because I got distracted.
    Lol.  It sounded fun until you said run over.   :open_mouth:

Yeah, @0patience, I prefer 65-68 myself.  

Frank, thanks for the heads up.  Didn't think about the desktop site.  I gotta get my PC up and running again, the phone is a pain.

Thanks again, @TheCigarChick.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had this a few times before with the same cigar.  Took them all out of the cello and wiped them off, put them in a 20 count humidor at about 65%, all smoked fine. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely mold but still smokeable if you’re not squeamish about such things. Dust it off and light up. 
    Seriously considered it.

Received my replacement cigars today.  Ccom went through every box and inspected each cigar then resealed the boxes.  That's the level of service ccom provides their customers, the highest.  I hope they didn't sell all of them on the DD.  I'd like to order a couple more boxes.  

@ShawnOL Glad to hear it all worked out, although I'm sorry you had received moldy smokes in the first place. 

Trust me, the damaged goods don't go on sale or anything. They will be removed from inventory.
    edited October 2019
    @ShawnOL Glad to hear it all worked out, although I'm sorry you had received moldy smokes in the first place. 

Trust me, the damaged goods don't go on sale or anything. They will be removed from inventory.
    @TheCigarChick
     I guess I didn't word my last post correctly.
    What I meant was after tossing all the moldy cigars, that the good ones may be sold out.
    I still want to buy a couple more boxes because once they're gone, they're gone.  They really are a good cigar that just didn't have the sales they should have.  Ccom should really include some of the house brand cigars in the samplers they offer.