Home Cigar 101

aging does and donts?

DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
im new to aging cigars so could any of you give me some does and donts?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dont smoke em...

HA!

Do keep your humidor at 65% RH and about 65-70*
    Do open the humidor about once a week

dont move them much if you can avoid it. only rotate about once every 3-4 months.
    box age is better than indavidual age in my opinion (sadly i only age singles)
    Dont sweat small short term spikes in RH.

uh... thats about all i got. Its a very passive thing. put em in there. let em sit.
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    cool thanks kuzi
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I'm just getting into aging cigars (just bought 40 more of my favorite cigar to put away). But I would recommend that if you're not aging box quantities, at least get 3 to 5 so you can try them as they age and see how they change. Otherwise, as Kuzi said, don't stress about it. Just make sure to open the box every week or so to prevent mold (and catch it quickly if it starts), and handle them as little as possible.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've got my coolerdor set up as an aging box. Nothing in it has much age on it as Its only been up and running for about 45 days, but I don't plan on smoking from it until we hit 2010, then I'm going to see how things are coming along. I've got about 10 boxes and a few bundles in there set up with a Cigar Oasis holding around 64-65%. I'm especially curious to see how the Don Carlos and the Padilla Obsidian do.
    hmmm cool thanks guys
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Wow, Joe. I thought I had dived off into this hobby in a big way. I'm a rank amateur compared to you.
    urbino:
    Wow, Joe. I thought I had dived off into this hobby in a big way. I'm a rank amateur compared to you.
    Well, I have a little bit of an impulse control problem and I love buying things on auction. I've put myself on cigar time-out for the next 2-3 months, absolutely no buying of anything, doesn't matter how good of a deal it is.
    yeah i can understand the impulse problem i had to stop for awhile hints why i havent went and bought all of cigar.com yet
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    Well, I have a little bit of an impulse control problem and I love buying things on auction. I've put myself on cigar time-out for the next 2-3 months, absolutely no buying of anything, doesn't matter how good of a deal it is.
    well see how that goes...

not even one single at the local shop?
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Joe I'm on a hiatus as well. $1000 dollars in 2 months will put you on a cigar buying hiatus quickly.
    hmmm i need to see madurofans humidor s ? im sure you have alot
    Well I have a 48 count wine fridge actually. :)
    a mine fridge huh.... hmmmm how does that work out?
    Well good and bad. Good bc it regulates the temp as well as humidity, bad bc well its huge and doesn't limit my collection at all.
    could you post pics of your winedor? im curious to see this i might go this route ...
    Mine isn't the right way to do and my digital cam crapped. Anyways mine is compressor driven so what I do is I have one real humidor and now I'm up to 4 tupperdors that each manage their own RH but the wine fridge keeps them all at a pleasant 65*. The right way to do this is to get a thermo-electic wine fridge and convert the whole thing into one huge humidor.
    hmmm well that is what i was thinking turning it into a big humidor....
    You need to make sure its thermo-electric in that case then bc a compressor driven one like mine will cause big RH fluctuations.
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    well see how that goes...

not even one single at the local shop?
    Not even a single. I can't give myself an inch or I'll take a mile... I know how I am.