Home Cigar 101

Looking for recommendations

MunozSalMunozSal Posts: 4
Hey guys! So I'm looking for some cigars to try out. I've had some cigars since I turned 18, but I would only have one every few months. I've always liked cigars, but I have no clue what separates a good cigar from a bad one. I'm looking for some recommendations or personal favorites!

Thanks in advance!
Tagged:

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you recall anything that you've had and enjoyed before?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it burns, tastes and smells good its a good cigar.  If it tastes like sh*t its not. 

As Wylaff asked, what have you liked so far?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out the "What Are You Smoking" threads in General Discussion .  There are three of them.  Morning, Afternoon, and Evening.  Those three threads will give you an insight on what different members enjoy.  Taste is subjective so YMMV.  What do you like to experience in a cigar?
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend you try a Sobremesa.

Here's a thread we put together last year of Forum to 25 cigars which should give you a pretty good idea too.

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/899715/ccom-forum-top-25-of-2018/p1
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy some samplers. It is a good way to try a variety.
  • MunozSalMunozSal Posts: 4
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice guys!
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @MunozSal , that cigar you liked was called Blind Man's Bluff by Caldwell.  

Quote: Caldwell Blind Man’s Bluff is medium-bodied, and comes sheathed in an Ecuador Habana wrapper concealing a Honduran Criollo binder and long-leaf filler from the Dominican Republic and Honduras. Enticing nuances of pepper, cedar, bread, and cinnamon.

This is a good place to start.
    Medium bodied cigar.  Note the wrapper and filler.  Try cigars with any of these tobaccos.  See the notes of tastes?   One or more of these qualities may be why you liked it.  When shopping online, read the stuff they say about the nuances, hints or notes.  This could also point you in the right direction.

Also, as jd50AE said, samplers are a great way to try out different sticks.  Research the ones you like to find out what's in them.  Take notes if you have a bad memory like i do.  There are samplers for every budget,  as well.

I hope this made sense and helps you.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoke whatever @Usaf06 is smoking.  That is all. 
    Don't look ↑
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoke whatever @Usaf06 is smoking.  That is all. 

And drink whatever he drinks

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, samplers are the way to go, just keep track of what you like.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try everything.
    Well, except Macanudo. 😆
    Find what you like. 
    As was stated, what you kike today, may not be what you like in a year, so until you establish what wrapper/fillers you like, don't buy boxes. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    0patience said:
    what you kike today, may not be what you like in a year
    There is no need for the antisemitism Tony. Geez....
    Dammit, if we could edit after we notice it, that would help. And if my fat thumbs could type on a phone, that might be even better.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that @KenpoKnighthas a cohiba for sale....
    Don't look ↑
  • Acasazza21Acasazza21 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Sal! Glad to see y'all made it aboard. 

For those on the curious side, Sal is a co-worker of mine who I had over for cigars a couple weeks ago and told him to stop by this magical wonderland of knowledge. 

He is also located in the Milwaukee Area and hopefully we can get him on the VHerf.. and maybe if I can get some free time I'll get on there too!