Home General Discussion

Real or copy

KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
Hi Everyone, 

I was given these at Knights meeting tonight. One of the guys just got back from the Dominican.  He said the small one was rolled by a guy and the other came from a humidor.  Just curious what you all thought.  No matter what I’m going to be smoking and enjoying both sometime lol.  

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No pic?  I don't see them....
    Don't look ↑
  • KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry edited with pics!
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that's a fake, they did a real good job on the band.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either way, light it.  Awesome
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
    Either way, light it.  Awesome
    Thanks it was a really cool surprise!  
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cap is a bit off for a Cohiba.
    Could have been a bad day for a roller, but not likely. 

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    I vote smoke it.
    Don't look ↑
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Not even close. Fake

I will just point of the obvious for those who may be deceived.

No Triple cap. Immediate toss

Look at the "C" in Cuba

Look at the "H" in Habana

Look at the Taino Indian Head

Look at the flaking of the embossed gold around borders

Notice the hologram area is not a hologram print

Gold border touching squares

Non crisp cut on the bottom of the band. Actually can see a dull cut with danglers.

Measure the cigar and ring gauge as well. Looks like a Faubosto should measure
    50 x 124 (4⅞″)

Just a few imperfections that confirm it is fake

Real band below

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not genuine. 
    Fellow BOTLs, if we know it's an obvious fake dont encouragement them to "smoke it anyways".  That's the worst advice you can give them. 
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least it's a genuine fake. :D
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoke YOUR cigars! They are yours enjoy them. There are tons of folks here that smoke stuff I wouldn’t touch and I’m sure I smoke stuff they wouldn’t like. Unless these yahoos are going to start supplying all of your cigars for free don’t sweat it.
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
    Thanks for all the input!  That’s pretty good to know what to look for in the future.   Any harm or risk for smoking a knockoff?  
    Thanks for all the input!  That’s pretty good to know what to look for in the future.   Any harm or risk for smoking a knockoff?  
    Do you like crabs? Not the seafood kind. If you do ...
    "smoke it anyways".
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the worst end of things they have been found to contain floor sweepings (even bits of plastic debris), but most often it is just a sub-par cigar made to look like a Cohiba. It's your call really.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give it to Mikey, he'll smoke anything.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for the youngsters on the forum who might miss Peter's comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLQ0LZSnJFE
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not even close. Fake

I will just point of the obvious for those who may be deceived.

No Triple cap. Immediate toss

Look at the "C" in Cuba

Look at the "H" in Habana

Look at the Taino Indian Head

Look at the flaking of the embossed gold around borders

Notice the hologram area is not a hologram print

Gold border touching squares

Non crisp cut on the bottom of the band. Actually can see a dull cut with danglers.

Measure the cigar and ring gauge as well. Looks like a Faubosto should measure
    50 x 124 (4⅞″)

Just a few imperfections that confirm it is fake

Real band below

I guess when looking at both there is a huge difference.  You pay better attention to detail than I do.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    On the worst end of things they have been found to contain floor sweepings (even bits of plastic debris), but most often it is just a sub-par cigar made to look like a Cohiba. It's your call really.
    I once received a well-intentioned gift of 5 plastic wrapped fake Cohibas from someone vacationing in the Caribbean.  While I'm sure they were fake, they were pretty good cigars. 

Of course, some people like the smell of roasted toe nails in the morning.

Just kidding.  I would look it over carefully, then if it seemed OK, I'd smoke it.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Thanks everyone for the input.  I’m only halfway freaked out now lol. Can’t be worse than a flavored short filler Tatiana. 
    ^^^^That is pretty funny.  I’ve decided to dissect it. After reading some comments on here and watching the cigar obsession videos with all the junk in them, I want to stay clear of it.  After looking closer I found what looks to be a cigar beetle hole?  I kept it in a ziplock away from all my others just in case. I will share the results of the dissection.  Probably get around to it tomorrow evening.

Okay here is the dissection for your viewing pleasure.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what you would call "short filler".
     :s 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never again will I "just smoke" another fauxhiba.  Bleah!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    @Amos_Umwhat same here!
    What did you do with all of the spiderwebs and toenails?
    Don't look ↑
    but "smoke it anyways"
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ain't smokin nothin with eveidence of cuban fakery or bugs. You had both. Thanks for the autopsy. 

Speaking of smoking cigars with bugs in them. One time I got this terrible brown wet "tar buildup" coming out from the head of my cigar, almost drippy. Never had that experience before or since. My best guess is I was smoking lots of beetle larvae that day. I don't recall a terrible taste, just a horrible sight to see.