Home Cigar 101

Having trouble with your new humidor?

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
Greetings gents, and ladies.  Are you new to cigar smoking?  Got a new humidor and picked up some cigars as a novelty during your trip to the Caribbean last year?  Need some advice?

Well congratulations, you've come to the right place.

However, before you start a new thread to ask your particular personal question, meditate for a moment on the fact that you're not the first one to be in this situation.  

Next step:  Go to the top of the page and find the "Search" box.  Type in one or more of the following words or phrases; New humidor, humidity problems, Boveda, coolidor, help, hygrometer, calibrate, storage, and last but not least cellophane.

If, after reading the copious amount of information these searches will provide you find that your individual question is not answered there, proceed to the next step.

Next step:  Go to the Newbie Welcoming Thread and introduce yourself.  Tell us why you're here, where you're from, why you've taken up cigars and what you expect from your membership here.

After those things, if you must, start your new thread and ask your personal, particular, individual question.

The above views represent only the desires of the speaker, and are not necessarily endorsed by anyone, anywhere, at any time.

Thank you for your attention.

Carry on.
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• Willy_MNWilly_MN Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Can it be stickied or set as an announcement like the others that reside at the top of the categories?

Excellent post, BTW, @Amos_Umwhat
    Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations.
    #f**kyourhashtags
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last time I looked (yesterday) there were 945 discussions on Boveda alone. o:) 
    Greetings gents, and ladies.  Are you new to cigar smoking?  Got a new humidor and picked up some cigars as a novelty during your trip to the Caribbean last year?  Need some advice?

Well congratulations, you've come to the right place.

However, before you start a new thread to ask your particular personal question, meditate for a moment on the fact that you're not the first one to be in this situation.  

Next step:  Go to the top of the page and find the "Search" box.  Type in one or more of the following words or phrases; New humidor, humidity problems, Boveda, coolidor, help, hygrometer, calibrate, storage, and last but not least cellophane.

If, after reading the copious amount of information these searches will provide you find that your individual question is not answered there, proceed to the next step.

Next step:  Go to the Newbie Welcoming Thread and introduce yourself.  Tell us why you're here, where you're from, get JD's addy so you can send him a sample of what you smoke now, why you've taken up cigars and what you expect from your membership here.

After those things, if you must, start your new thread and ask your personal, particular, individual question.

The above views represent only the desires of the speaker, and are not necessarily endorsed by anyone, anywhere, at any time.

Thank you for your attention.

Carry on.
    ...fixed it...
    bump
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must read. Why I came to the forum was to learn how store cigars and other stuff. I spent days reading different threads and posts about humidors, hygrometers, coolers, Tupperware and such. My first post had nothing to do with that.  My first thread to comment on was the fitness thread, lol. I have been at the right place ever since. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately this will get buried and never searched.  On the upside copy and past and bumping is a thing.

What this guy said, oh wait.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Amos_Umwhat you tried, but you just can't fix somethings, like stupidity.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have to admit my first posts had to do with humidors because I was worried I was doing something wrong. And I was. But I didn’t know better than to look through the threads first. So I don’t mind answering the same questions over and over. We all were there once. 
    None of us knew anything when we started. I used to message Kuzi constantly with questions. He always took the time to help me get to where I am.
    so anytime you new fellas have a question feel free to pm me. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately this will get buried and never searched.  On the upside copy and past and bumping is a thing.

What this guy said, oh wait.
    I heard this guy was an a$$
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I made it a sticky.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Andrew!
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • SmokeEmceeSmokeEmcee Posts: 9
    Boveda, Boveda, Boveda! And a container with a tight seal. Boveda changes everything in the humidor game.
  • Ram_0922Ram_0922 Posts: 7
    edited July 2019

New guy to cigars and bought a manticello 100 ct humidor, glass top as it was top rated in numerous sites I researched. Now, my question is that I'm doing the wet sponge, with distilled water, and I have a xikar gel humidifier in there as well. My reading on my caliber IV hygrometer is around 85% and it has been like this for about a week now, and I calibrated it twice with the salt test in a zip lock bag and it read a constant 75% for a day before I started seasoning the humidor, so my question is do I leave sponge in there until it comes back down to 70% humidity or do I need to take sponge out and then let it drop down. I have not bought any cigars as of yet because I did not want to rush this seasoning process but I cannot find anywhere of when to take out sponge. Any help is greatly appreciated in this new venture I am undertaking with some good knowledge that is on here. Thanks,

Post edited by Ram_0922 on
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it in another week and then take it out. Give the wood time to soak up the moisture. 
  • Ram_0922Ram_0922 Posts: 7

@deadman, thanks I will do that!

• SigariSigari Posts: 2
    Hi there,

I am new to this forum. My question is the following, please:

I have a couple of table-top wooden humidors, with boveda packs in them. I am also getting the Newair CC-300 humidor for temperature control. Are there any downsides to placing the wooden humidors inside the Newair CC-300? 

The reason for doing that is because I'd like to store cuban cigars in one wooden humidor and non-cuban, central American cigars in a different wooden humidor, to prevent the blending of their different smell. Yet, in order to keep all cigars  cool, I'd place both wooden humidors inside the Newair CC-300 (room temperature is 77-78 at home otherwise).

Will there be a problem with that set up? In particular, the wooden humidors have a good seal, so will they prevent air circulation from the interior ambient of the Newair  to reach the cigars stored in them? Would that be a bad thing? Any other considerations I should be aware of with this setup?

Many thanks         
  • SigariSigari Posts: 2
    Thank you, peter4jc. Very helpful
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't me... I was hacked.  Don't start vicious rumors.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis