Home Non Cigar Related

Self Inflicted Loss

TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in Non Cigar Related
Today's game between the Titans and the Browns goes to show that the better team does not always win. Browns have scary talent, but 2 ejections, and almost 200 yards in penalties is too much to overcome for any team. Has a team in any sport done anymore to beat themselves except maybe the "blacksocks"  What is your memory of a sports team worse choke job / beat themselves/ just don't show up. 
I was born a fool, and just got bigger!

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many moons ago the Giants were running out the clock on Philadelphia and fumbled the ball and gave up the winning touchdown!
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today's game between the Titans and the Browns goes to show that the better team does not always win. Browns have scary talent, but 2 ejections, and almost 200 yards in penalties is too much to overcome for any team. Has a team in any sport done anymore to beat themselves except maybe the "blacksocks"  What is your memory of a sports team worse choke job / beat themselves/ just don't show up. 
    My Raiders starting with the Super a Bowl loss to the Buccaneers 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chicago Cubs

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    Many moons ago the Giants were running out the clock on Philadelphia and fumbled the ball and gave up the winning touchdown!
    Herm Edwards recovered that one!
    Don't look ↑
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Eagles!!!!
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
    edited September 2019
    Eh, I disagree @TNBigfoot68.  I'm a Cleveland sports and Vegas Golden Knights fan.  Lemme give you my top 10 of worse losses that I've seen just with my teams:

10. Cavs up by 1, leave Craig Ehlo on the best player ever, one-on-one.  Bulls advance.

9. The next year, he does it again, this time with a fadeaway from the elbow.  Cleveland was considered the best team in the league most of the year.

8.browns down miss 7 FG and 3 xp attempts in 2 games to start last year to tie Pittsburgh and lose to the sains

7.  1995, Indians set AL records for run production, but bat a combined .202 and commit 7 errors in 5 games against the braves and lose their first WS appearance since 1954.

6.  Cavs turn the ball over 4 times I'm last 2 minutes and LeBron misses a last second shot that results in overtime in game 1 of the 2015 NBA finals.  Kyrie Irving goes on to break his leg I'm that overtime, and Cavs lose the series 4-2.

5. Tribe up 3 games to 1 on the only 0ro sports team more cursed than us.  We score 2 runs in 3 games and then are down in game 7 by 3.  Cleveland rallies in the bottom of the 8th to take the lead, then squander it in the 9th and lose it in the 10th of game 7.

4. Gold glove shortstop Tony Fernandez boots an easy ground ball in the bottom of the 9tj of game,seven that the tribe is winning.  Lost in the 10th.

3.  VGK, up 3-1 in the first round of the playoffs, squander the series against the inferior sharks.  In game 7, they're up 3-0 with 10 minutes left and are dominating when they get a cheap and undeserved major. SJ scores 4 goals in 5 minutes against one of the greatest goalies of all time. Marc Andre Fleury, who just fell asleep, and even though VGK forces OT, it's over and they're eliminated.

2. Broncos drive 98 yards in the last 5 minutes of the 1986 AFC championship game to erase a 7 point deficit.  During the drive, Elway converts 5 third downs, including a miraculous 3rd an 18 where he was trapped 12 yards behind the line of scrimage, scrambling, and heaved a prayer across his body late to pick up 19 yards

And the grand champion of them all, Ernest Byner fumbled the ball after barely being touched on the 4 yardline as the browns were driving to the win in the 1987 AFC championship game.

There's a reason that we call Cleveland the factory of sadness....
    Don't look ↑
  • TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VegasFrank  - I knew your # 1 after your first sentence :)

Have to agree with @IndustMech about the Cubs but the Red Sox are high on that list too.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I love subjective sports banter. Good stuff, Billy Buckner for the Red Sox comes to mind. Cubs, always, and then there are sure fire draft picks that are giant busts, anybody remember the name Heath Shuler.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I disagree @TNBigfoot68.  I'm a Cleveland sports and Vegas Golden Knights fan.  Lemme give you my top 10 of worse losses that I've seen just with my teams:

10. Cavs up by 1, leave Craig Ehlo on the best player ever, one-on-one.  Bulls advance.

9. The next year, he does it again, this time with a fadeaway from the elbow.  Cleveland was considered the best team in the league most of the year.

Here you go, Frank

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

Yeah, that ^ was MY WTF  :#
    Don't look ↑
    Of course, the Houston oilers were America's undisciplined misfit team, starting with that idiot Jerry glanville and culminating with the 38-3 comeback....
    Don't look ↑
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I forgot about the big choke against the bills when the oilers blew their big fiat half lead.
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here you go, Frank

Didn’t matter who they put on him he wasn’t going to miss that’s why he is the GOAT

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michigan against Michigan State. All Michigan had to do was punt with 2seconds left. Blew the snap and State scored a TD. 
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.