Home General Discussion

Organized my coolidor..kinda...sorta

Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
Used 14" wire squares to make shelves for 7"x12" Spanish cedar trays. Not enough room to pull a tray completely out but far enough to explore what's on it. I added a cigar Oasis blowing up from the bottom and two low power fan on each end blowing down the back of the trays. Can be tweaked to great advantage but this was all I had energy for. Holds about 450 sticks.

Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you stand the coolidor upright would the racks still fit? Then you could slide out a tray.
  • Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But then I can't sit on it!
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what problem do the racks solve?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Keeps air in between the trays and out of 10 different tuppidors.

Why would you want air between trays? What untoward results occur if you have, say, each type of cigar in its own cigar box, the way they come at the store?

I ask because I have a similarly huge coolidor, full of boxes of home rolled, Each variety I roll gets its own separate box. I buy emptied boxes at the gar store for a buck a pop. I require that the box be good looking, cedar lined, with a good **** seal, and latch. Each blend I roll generally ages in in its own box for at least a year before I grab some out. However, I never researched how to do it. I just figured that each blend needs to steep with its fellows to mellow. After all, you go to the store, they have umjpteen boxes, most of which come with individual cellophane; but they all came one variety to the box, closed, latched, and the box wrapped in cello. Granted, the box may be opened for individual sales. But. you find something you like, you buy a box of strictly that.

What does air add?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^   @Yakster might have some insight regarding cigars and air. Recently he punched holes in the baggies in which he stores his smokes. On the other hand, pipe smokers prefer the anaerobic fermentation of their tobacco. 
    webmost said:
    Why would you want air between trays? What untoward results occur if you have, say, each type of cigar in its own cigar box, the way they come at the store?

I ask because I have a similarly huge coolidor, full of boxes of home rolled, Each variety I roll gets its own separate box. I buy emptied boxes at the gar store for a buck a pop. I require that the box be good looking, cedar lined, with a good **** seal, and latch. Each blend I roll generally ages in in its own box for at least a year before I grab some out. However, I never researched how to do it. I just figured that each blend needs to steep with its fellows to mellow. After all, you go to the store, they have umjpteen boxes, most of which come with individual cellophane; but they all came one variety to the box, closed, latched, and the box wrapped in cello. Granted, the box may be opened for individual sales. But. you find something you like, you buy a box of strictly that.

What does air add?

Why is the word f_l_a_n_g_e turned into asterisks by the forum software?
    Is **** profane in any sense?

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one wants to see your man-****
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But on the air subject. I have always heard when aging/storing that you need a little air exchange from time to time.
    By air I meant the humidity can circulate easier. Also the shelves allow me to pull out all the trays at once.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:

What does air add?

will ferrell chill GIF
    Right? I'm lucky if I can bend over and open the cooler. Besides I need to space to attached the 450 moisture probes into each cigar so I can monitor each one individually. Don't want that Hymalayan glacier melt filtered water I use to go to waste.

If you stand the coolidor upright would the racks still fit? Then you could slide out a tray.
    @silvermouse Good point but if the wife agrees to it I'm going to build a little 6x6 room in our pantry for winter smoking and I plan on having the cooler double as a table. Besides if there harder to get at I'll finally have some I'll forget about and come across years later. Umm 10 year old Ghurkas...smooth. 

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the regular axial rotation of the cigars to avoid moisture pooling on one side causing burn issues.  :D

^   @Yakster might have some insight regarding cigars and air. Recently he punched holes in the baggies in which he stores his smokes. On the other hand, pipe smokers prefer the anaerobic fermentation of their tobacco. 

Not much insight here, I have a crate full of cigar boxes and bags of cigars from trades. I understand the boxes will breath moisture to some extent, I still like to pop a small Boveda into some of the boxes. The bags aren't going to breath much so I figured taking a hole punch and punching a lot of holes in the bags would be a good way to keep the cigars organized by who sent them to me and avoid having to put a Boveda into each bag.

I like the ideas of racks, looks good. My bin is quite messy with the stacked boxes and bags filling up most of the space, I often have to move stuff around just to get the lid to close. I feel I paw though the cigars often enough to get air exchange.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Yakster said:
    Don't forget the regular axial rotation of the cigars to avoid moisture pooling on one side causing burn issues.  :D

That's why they are all on rotisseries. 

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure they're aligned with the caps all facing North, ensuring to allow for proper magnetic declination and drift while compensating for the induced error of the racks. 
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Post edited by Yakster on
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Can dead men vote twice? (at elections)

No, only once.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Can dead men vote twice? (at elections)

No, only once.
    Unless you are inquiring about Cook County Illinois, where the dead vote early and often!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Remember Tired Virgins Make Dull Companions, Add Whiskey! 😁

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used 14" wire squares to make shelves for 7"x12" Spanish cedar trays. Not enough room to pull a tray completely out but far enough to explore what's on it. I added a cigar Oasis blowing up from the bottom and two low power fan on each end blowing down the back of the trays. Can be tweaked to great advantage but this was all I had energy for. Holds about 450 sticks.

Well isn’t that just Freaking orderly😁