Home Cigar 101

Just Me?

Well, my issue. After trying various labels, I really think as a Cigar Nation (Who Dat!) How are really knowing what we smoke? If I gave you a cigar, had you closed your eyes, you probably could not identify the brand. So, it begs the question, it's all about HYPE!. Cool, we fall for the tisement, then, we say,self, why did I do that?? Why is it that we try to find that "best cigar""? Cigar.com could care less. Orders,Orders,Orders, is their goal. I challenge anyone to tell me what cigar is "THE BEST"!!!

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I don't know that anyone can tell you what cigar is the best...I can tell you what is the best for me, but there are many who wouldn't agree. We have a game here where someone sends unbanded cigars to another person and the receiving person tries to guess what it is. It's not all hype, though some of it is, and if you pay attention to the cigar you can pick up on certain things that will tell you what it is...maybe not the specific cigar, but at least the country of origin.

Besides that, I'm afraid I don't really see the point of this post. Cigar tastes are highly subjective and no two people have the same taste buds, so cigars are different experiences for different people.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Well, it's a total promo for Camacho, but they really do raise a very good point: http://www.blackbandproject.com/ - Bottom Line/lesson of the video's is, smoke what you like, not what someone else says is best
  • I would like a Padron 3000 or an Oliva Cain F with my eyes open, closed or blinking. I wouldn't like a Cameroon wrapper regardless of any hype. People will try cigars due to hype, but I can't imagine letting hype decide whether or not I enjoy that cigar.

"Why is it that we try to find that best cigar?" Because it's the best. Same reason a baseball team tries to sign the best players, a guy tries to find the best looking wife, and an employee tries to find the best salary.
    Unthought_Known:
    I wouldn't like a Cameroon wrapper regardless of any hype.
    Why is that? A lot of people have some notions of what a cameroon wrapped cigar is, and for a great deal of them they'd be right, but there are some real gems out there sporting a cameroon wrapper. Just thought I'd throw that out there, as I try to never write off a particular wrapper based on the overall cigar.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im going to respond first without reading any other posts.
    eyegofler18@comcast.net:
    Well, my issue. After trying various labels, I really think as a Cigar Nation (Who Dat!) How are really knowing what we smoke? If I gave you a cigar, had you closed your eyes, you probably could not identify the brand.
    i have passed this test before.

there are cigars out there that i can tell you by taste alone. i proved it on the old forum. i can prove it again here if need be. some cigars are very distinct. some, are not.
    eyegofler18@comcast.net:
    So, it begs the question, it's all about HYPE!. Cool, we fall for the tisement, then, we say,self, why did I do that?? Why is it that we try to find that "best cigar""? Cigar.com could care less. Orders,Orders,Orders, is their goal. I challenge anyone to tell me what cigar is "THE BEST"!!!
    as for what cigar is the best...

i challenge you to tell me what song is "the best"
    or what restaurant is "the best"
    what color is "the best"
    what car is "the best"

it cannot be done. its subjective. i cant tell you what you are going to like.
    are some cigars hype?
    yes

are some cigars actually good?
    yes

why do i try and taste as may cigars as i can? because its fun. im not always looking for "the best" im looking for the experience.

i have a list of cigars in my head that are my favorites. but, trying to pick a favorite or "best" cigar is like trying to pick out your favorite child, or the best guitarist in the world. it cannot be done. some of the best have different factors that make them better than others.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I agree with Kuz, and we even have a thread that was based around trying three unmarked cigars and seeing if you could guess them. I guessed as greater then chance, and some people were damn near close to 100 percent. Certain cigars (CAO America, Padilla 1932, DPG Cuban Classic) I would know blindfolded and upsidedown. There are certain cigars you will NEVER forget.
  • j0z3r:
    Unthought_Known:
    Why is that? A lot of people have some notions of what a cameroon wrapped cigar is, and for a great deal of them they'd be right, but there are some real gems out there sporting a cameroon wrapper. Just thought I'd throw that out there, as I try to never write off a particular wrapper based on the overall cigar.
    I had a Torano 1916 Cameroon about 1-2 months ago and it didn't do it for me. I was excited to try it because I heard great things about it, but there was a very distinct taste that didn't agree with me. I figure it must've been the Cameroon wrapper.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    not sure about that; what was the filler and binder made of? If it was that distinct, I don't think it'd be just the wrapper. Try a Nub Cameroon and compare to a Conneticut or a Habano
    Unthought_Known:
    j0z3r:
    Unthought_Known:
    I had a Torano 1916 Cameroon about 1-2 months ago and it didn't do it for me. I was excited to try it because I heard great things about it, but there was a very distinct taste that didn't agree with me. I figure it must've been the Cameroon wrapper.
    I can see that, the 1916 didn't really impress me, I thought it was ok but nothing spectacular, really just kind of middle-of-the-road. Before you write a cameroon wrapper off for good, I'd really suggest trying out a couple of cigars: Camacho Select uses a cameroon wrapper around a complex core of very tasty tobaccos, med-full with a good deal of pepper through the nose, I've really come to enjoy that one. Another, if you can find it, is the La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet the #1 lonsdale is the best size...again, this one uses a cameroon wrapper around Dominican and Nicaraguan fillers and is complex and strong, full bodied for sure.

I think often when people say they don't like a cameroon wrapper it's because there are so many mediocre cigars that use a cameroon wrapper. It is the kind of wrapper that needs to be properly blended with its fillers otherwise it can't really shine, the two examples I gave above display, in my opinion, what a well blended, cameroon wrapped cigar can be.
  • nudienudie Posts: 112
    eyegofler18@comcast.net:
    Well, my issue. After trying various labels, I really think as a Cigar Nation (Who Dat!) How are really knowing what we smoke? If I gave you a cigar, had you closed your eyes, you probably could not identify the brand. So, it begs the question, it's all about HYPE!. Cool, we fall for the tisement, then, we say,self, why did I do that?? Why is it that we try to find that "best cigar""? Cigar.com could care less. Orders,Orders,Orders, is their goal. I challenge anyone to tell me what cigar is "THE BEST"!!!
    whats your fave food? where do you get it? how do they make sure you like it? how do they try to get the best ingredients for the cost and pass the savings on to you?... im sure my answers are different than yours... I challenge you to ask yourself the same Q's about your fave cigar factories and distributer/retailer
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Huh. I never noticed the Camacho Select was a cameroon. Love that cigar. Thanks for the info, Joe.
    TatuajeVI:
    Huh. I never noticed the Camacho Select was a cameroon. Love that cigar. Thanks for the info, Joe.
    I try and post something useful about once every 100 posts. :)
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    eyegofler18@comcast.net:
    Well, my issue. After trying various labels,
    Stop smoking the label, try smoking the cigar instead

eyegofler18@comcast.net:
    I really think as a Cigar Nation (Who Dat!)
    Not you

eyegofler18@comcast.net:
    it's all about HYPE!. Cool, we fall for the tisement, then, we say,self, why did I do that??
    Who's we??? If nothing was ever advertised, nothing would ever sell well. They aren't spending your money to advertise, why are you comlaining?

eyegofler18@comcast.net:
    Why is it that we try to find that "best cigar""? Cigar.com could care less. Orders,Orders,Orders, is their goal.
    Really? Dude, not cool. I haven't liked you since you first posted, and I still don't.

Take that cigar out of your mouth kid, you have no idea what you're doing.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:

what color is "the best"
    I interpret this to mean "what is your favorite color"

Red ........ no Blue - AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGG

• nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:

what color is "the best"

One of my favorite movies!!

Black Knight: Right, I'll do you for that!
    King Arthur: You'll what?
    Black Knight: Come here!
    King Arthur: What are you gonna do, bleed on me?
    Black Knight: I'm invincible!
    King Arthur: ...You're a loony.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    nightmaremike31:
    Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:

what color is "the best"

One of my favorite movies!!

Black Knight: Right, I'll do you for that!
    King Arthur: You'll what?
    Black Knight: Come here!
    King Arthur: What are you gonna do, bleed on me?
    Black Knight: I'm invincible!
    King Arthur: ...You're a loony.

I like this movie so much I watched the version with director & actors commentary also. For that scene they found a 1 legged man to play the black knight.

Why you ask?

Its easier to dig a hole for a 1 legged man than a 2 legged man.

• Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    eyegofler18@comcast.net:
    Cigar.com could care less. Orders,Orders,Orders, is their goal. !
    What does this even have to do with your post? Cigar.com cares about getting us great customer service and doing their best to take care of us who stay loyal to them for doing so. Everyone has a different opinion on what the best cigar is. It's all subjective. And I never question why I buy a certain blend. I know damn well why I buy it. I buy it because I like it. There's more to a blend then the taste that can make it better than another one. It seems to me that you really don't know much about cigars, yet you want to spew this nonsense. If you're so upset about it, then maybe cigars just aren't for you. As a matter of fact, maybe nothing is for you, because pretty much everything we buy and consume could fall along these lines probably.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Guys, we know not to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man!