Home Non Cigar Related

I'll Always be a FIB at Heart

CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I have some big news. After a year or so of feeling like Charlie Brown kicking the football, one of the companies that gave me an interview and then said "You sound like a great fit, we'll have someone get back to you shortly with our decision" actually went through with it and hired me. I didn't want to say anything about it, because I had heard that many different times before, but I filled out the paperwork early this morning to make it official. I just gave my two weeks notice today, and I'll be moving to Dubuque, Iowa on the weekend of the 26th-27th. 

I got a job as an insurance agent. I was complaining about my job hunt to my mom, and she told me that Dubuque has a 2% unemployment rate, and is desperately in need of employees. I rolled my eyes and applied to a few of the companies out there just to appease her, and it ended up working. 

I'll see all of you FIBS and cheese-heads on Sunday, which works out well as a little going away herf. I'll probably be on a major buying freeze until I get settled in and have steady income with some rainy day savings, but I've built up more than enough of a collection to get through it, partially thanks to everyone here.

I'm still hoping to go to the major herfs that are held throughout the year, but I can't commit to anything as of now until I find out what my schedule will be like, or how vacation is going to work in a commission based job. 

It's certainly been an adventure living here and biking all over the city in all kinds of weather. I can't say I'm going to miss that part, but I'm sure there are some things about Chicago that I definitely will miss, such as the people. I think I'm going to be very good at this new job though. It's also going to be a way to gain really valuable experience that is going to look so much better on my resume than "riding a bike". I'm shocked that I got hired honestly.

It's been an unbelievable journey for me these past 3 years. Going from getting thrown out of the house with just a few bags of stuff, to struggling to feed myself, to holding a steady job and supporting myself without assistance from anyone else, to now becoming a full blown professional. It's been making me more than a little emotional today. Time to smoke this Davidoff 50th from @IndustMech after dinner to celebrate. 

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news, Calvin, too bad you have to move, but it sounds like a great opportunity.  We can always hang out on the vHerf.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Calvin!
    I have faith that you will succeed in any endeavor you attempt.
    Hopefully this is just a door to bigger and better things. Good Luck!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go, Calvin

Changing sucks and is dreaful fills you full of fear  But ya gotta start somewhere or be destined to dwell  linger in badness for all time
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Calvin. 
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Calvin. You’re going to do great! Make sure you send me your new address for our Christmas card list
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real question is, do we have to stop calling him fvcking Calvin now?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck to you!!!!!!
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey buddy that is awesome news. You will knock it out of the park.  Congrats 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    The real question is, do we have to stop calling him fvcking Calvin now?

Absolutely not. 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome Calvin, good luck
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s awesome brother. I think that’s going to be a great fit!
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!!!!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news. Congrats Calvin. 
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Calvin and good luck with the new job! 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Calvin!  I'm totally jealous.  I cannot wait to move out of IL.
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!  
  • Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s awesome Calvin. Remember what I said about being in sales. I think you’ll do great. Congratulations.
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the new job and move.  Hope all goes great for you.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of insurance?

I wanna be your first customer, please.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome news @CalvinAndHobo!!  I hope it works out well for you and "buying freeze" means we need your address to keep you well stocked!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    peter4jc said:
    What kind of insurance?

I wanna be your first customer, please.
    Supplemental health insurance, but sadly I’ll only be licensed in Iowa so you’d have to move first. 
    Awesome news @CalvinAndHobo!!  I hope it works out well for you and "buying freeze" means we need your address to keep you well stocked!
    If I smoke a cigar a day I’m going to be all set for more than a year, I’ll be just fine. 
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They say you only live once. This is bull. If you do it right, you get to live many lives over the span of one.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, you only die once, everyday you're alive is special.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Calvin! Great news! 

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if you were aware of this but Patrick used to work in sales. Maybe he can give you some pointers.
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats and Best of luck CaL-BrO.