Home Non Cigar Related

Congestive heart failure.

RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
Two years ago I was diagnosed with AFib of the lower ventricles and had a pacemaker installed. As time progressed I was later diagnosed with Congestive heart failure as well. Now my cardiologist is planning to remove my pacemaker and install a duel pacemaker and defibrillator and wire all four ventricles. No blockages. No bad valves. A otherwise healthy heart, just slowly dying. Anyone else with similar problems?

Comments

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your health troubles.  Hope all goes well with your next surgery.  A relative of mine has been in CHF for many years now.  Good luck.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    I have a fib, also, have had a defibrillator and pacemaker for a number of years now. A few months ago the lights went out I hit the ground and the defibrillator kicked in and revived me. The biggest thing is it is very rude, you don't know it is happening. Changed my cocktail of drugs and I live on! Dr says that we are in a higher percentage of sudden death syndrome from a fib, and pm/dfib will bring you back, where you wouldn't survive by the time someone could respond. The sucky part is no driving for six months after an event. they also sped up my pulse with pm.
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this. Having health problems sucks. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had an ICD (Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator, which I'm pretty sure is what you all are calling a pacemaker/defibrillator) put in about 4 weeks back.  It showed conclusively that there's no Afib going on so I got to go off of the Xarelto which was good because that crap is expensive.  I debated for months whether or not to agree to have the ICD installed because I don't think I'm at risk for what it's trying to prevent, the ventricular tachycardia, but decided it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.  With CHF and/or cardiomyopathy, the function or output of the heart which is measured during an echocardiogram and assigned a percentage known as an ejection fraction, they say if an irregular rhythm starts and escalates it will lead to sudden cardiac death.  In essence, the heart is weak enough that it's not pumping enough blood, the brain says we need more blood, so the heart tries going faster to keep up demand, and before long it goes nighty-night and you're dead.  An ejection fraction below 35% indicates you will need a defibrillator should you go into that death spiral, as a shock will reset the heart to a more normal pace.

From what I was told Afib has the risk of stroke because when the atrium is fluttering instead of pumping blood tends to pool in the atrium and the blood can clot - then when that blood manages to get pumped out that clot goes north and you end up w/  stroke.  It's the ventricular misbehavings that lead to the SCA, sudden cardiac arrest.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s some scary s h I t, Bro. Hang in there....  that’s an order!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom said:
    Two years ago I was diagnosed with AFib of the lower ventricles and had a pacemaker installed. As time progressed I was later diagnosed with Congestive heart failure as well. Now my cardiologist is planning to remove my pacemaker and install a duel pacemaker and defibrillator and wire all four ventricles. No blockages. No bad valves. A otherwise healthy heart, just slowly dying. Anyone else with similar problems?
    My first instinct is to do what others have done, commiserate and encourage.  Then I remember some of your psycho-social experiments on us, a few years ago, when you'd ask a question or make a statement or tell a story, just to see what the group reactions were. 

I have to ask myself, at that point; is this going to end like some of your other threads, with you telling stories about smacking your wife around so you can see if we'll try and get you kicked off the forum?  

So, all I can say is best of wishes managing your health problems, whatever they may be.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Health problems are never a joke I assure you. I still take five pills a day just for my heart. 23 pills a day in all.
    My everyday routine. Three and five times a day. One good thing though, I never have to go hungry.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s a lot of meds brother 
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Afib is impossible to have in your ventricles. Hence the A. Sorry to hear about your luck and best wishes to you.
    edited November 2019
    Just going on what my cardiologist stated. Thanks  for the sympathy.
    We all have take the cards dealt to us.