Home Cigar 101

Which hydrometer is more accurate?

TyroneTyrone Posts: 4

Best Answers

Answers

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whichever one reads more closely to what the actual ambient condition is.  Duh.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    They're both showing 70%.  How can one be more accurate?

Now, if it came in red or green, that would be awesome.  Not a fan of blue hygrometers.

Welcome @Tyrone.
    Is this DZR?
  • TyroneTyrone Posts: 4
    Both are stock photos.
    The Humi-Care is inside my humidor and reads 72°, while the analog is installed in a hole on the front of the humidor and reads 80°.
    That's why I'm asking. 
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Whichever one reads more closely to what the actual ambient condition is.  Duh.
    Glad I won't have to ask you questions to make sure it's you tomorrow. 
    How interesting that when the OP accepts the posts as answering the question, they get shuffled to the top and the original sequence of posts gets tossed.
    I think they get shuffled in order of YES, NO, and then the posts that haven't been answered
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrone said:
    Both are stock photos.
    The Humi-Care is inside my humidor and reads 72°, while the analog is installed in a hole on the front of the humidor and reads 80°.
    That's why I'm asking. 
    The purpose of hygrometers (spelling) is to display relative humidity. Your post is showing the ‘degree’ sign. This is confusing to oldfarts and might be construed as senior abuse. 

Be careful, young fella.....  👴🏻
    You only have 25min. to edit your post @jlmarta before it is permanently etched into forum history.
    jlmarta said:
    Tyrone said:
    Both are stock photos.
    That's why I'm asking. 
    The purpose of hygrometers (spelling) is to display relative humidity. Your post is showing the ‘degree’ sign. This is confusing to oldfarts and might be construed as senior abuse. 

Be careful, young fella.....  👴🏻
    Sorry, meant to show % !

Be careful, I'm not
    a young fella...lol
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Codger Fight!!!
    Tyrone said:

Be careful, I'm not
    a young fella...lol
    Maybe so. Still, chances are you’re younger than me 
    since I’m about three days older’n dirt. And I haven’t run into very many gals named Tyrone. Sooo, I rest my case. 

Just had to rattle your cage a bit since you’re a newbie. Welcome aboard. Lotsa great folks around these parts. 👍
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    @Usaf06 doesn't use hygrometers.  He's the Chuck Norris of cigars, and if he doesn't use them, some government agency will soon come around to all of cigar smokers and confiscate them. The day after I read that, I threw mine away!

Throw your hygrometer away. test the humidity of your cigars the way Nick does. Squeeze them.

#WWNS #WWND
    Don't look ↑
    @Usaf06 doesn't use hygrometers.  He's the Chuck Norris of cigars, and if he doesn't use them, some government agency will soon come around to all of cigar smokers and confiscate them. The day after I read that, I threw mine away!

Throw your hygrometer away. test the humidity of your cigars the way Nick does. Squeeze them.

#WWNS #WWND
    Oh, you’re one of those guys who sits around squeezing his cigar?  Isn’t that kinda perverted.... ?
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and hell yes!
    Don't look ↑
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this post real, I'm willing to bet the analog one was never calibrated.  As was stated there is no need for those if you run bovedas.  Bovedas get crunchy recharge and or add more.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this post real, I'm willing to bet the analog one was never calibrated.  As was stated there is no need for those if you run bovedas.  Bovedas get crunchy recharge and or add more.

Just keep in mind that in some cases the Boveda can become too saturated and bloat, thereby negating its fantastic properties at absorbing excess moisture. I've only had this happen once by coincidence in a coolidor, but never inside my acrylic jars or coleman coolers. I'm thinking it had to do with the season change and absolutely insane relative humidity we had for a few weeks this past summer. Most folks wouldn't even have to worry. I also have this located just outside my bathroom, so I am thinking hot shower doesn't help any either. There's a hole at the bottom of these things, I must have forgotten to plug that one because the other one is plugged.

And hygrometer. Digital. Always digital. A Zederkoff or Xikar will do fine, the inexpensive little foreign digital hygrometers are decent, just know they can be hit or miss and may fail over time and wind up with really wonky readings --not every time, but it can and does happen. I'm still using one that is +10RH off, which is fine as long as you keep track of it.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."