Home Cigar 101

What is "habano" ?

ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anybody have a guess?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

Comments

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An overused term.
    There are many here who know more than me, but my understanding is it’s tobacco grown from Cuban seed.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guitarded said:
    An overused term.
    There are many here who know more than me, but my understanding is it’s tobacco grown from Cuban seed.
    Pretty much what I thought, too. 

So, is it something else?  A particular strain, or process?  

Bunny ears? 

I give up. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually hear the word habano referencing specific Cuban seed tobbaco grown outside of Cuba and used for wrapper leaf. (Habano and Habano 2000 are supposedly two different types.) And also the word habanos, plural, usually references authentic Cuban cigars. 
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly today it's a Nico Jalapa or Esteli grown variety of wrapper, typically from Cuban seed and it's spicy. One of my favorites, for sure.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input.  I figured it was Cuban seed grown elsewhere but thought there might be more to it than that.  @BKDog , it's one of mine, also.

Is there only one strain/species of tobacco grown in Cuba?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is a great question ... a lot of tobacco actually comes from Cuban origins , including corojo, criollo, “habano”, and if you ask nick mellilio he talks about Cuban seed Connecticut broadleaf... but the term “habano” feels more loose then just the varietal of tobacco leaf. I don’t have a feel for it either... other than to call it a brown /reddish wrapper typically not light ( though there is Claro and oscuro variants)
    I am not good enough to tell the difference between criollo, corojo, habano ( just by sight/ no band) myself... so maybe someone out there can lend their expertise...

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's when someone grows cuban seed and is too lazy to say nicaraguan/dominican/ecuadorian/etc grown cuban seed wrapper and they want stupid people to believe that it is cuban heritage wrappers.

Some places will pronounce that it is 'Habano' because it is grown, aged and fermented in the "traditional cuban ways". Which, of course is BS.

That being said, there is a difference in taste between the Nica Habano and Ecuadorian Habano, in my opinion. Just like their is taste differences in the different regions, because of soil, climate, etc.

Like what you like and don't believe the hype.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.