Home Non Cigar Related

Question About Canadian Social Customs....

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
My coworker tonight was getting a little bent out of shape about the Canadian Snowboarder who took 2nd in the Snowbard Cross. He was upset that he didn't take his hat off during the US National Anthem during the award ceremony. I made the arguement to him that while it's customary to remove your hat during our national anthem and the nation anthem of others, this might not be the case in other countries. I noticed that the Canadian gold medalist in the Moguls didn't remove his hat either while "Oh Canada" was playing.

So, does Canada share this same custom, or is it just a USA thing? Thanks for all the canucks who respond and settle this debate.

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Interesting. I didn't notice. I'll be interested to hear as well.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    clearlysuspect:
    My coworker tonight was getting a little bent out of shape about the Canadian Snowboarder who took 2nd in the Snowbard Cross. He was upset that he didn't take his hat off during the US National Anthem during the award ceremony. I made the arguement to him that while it's customary to remove your hat during our national anthem and the nation anthem of others, this might not be the case in other countries. I noticed that the Canadian gold medalist in the Moguls didn't remove his hat either while "Oh Canada" was playing.

So, does Canada share this same custom, or is it just a USA thing? Thanks for all the canucks who respond and settle this debate.
    Yeah as far as I know it is still the custom as has always been the case.

I don't know if it is part of the "counter-culture" of the boarder society or just plain rude (which it is) or what. The fact that you saw them do it while the American AND the Canadian anthem were being played just shows it wasn't a dis to the US or anything. Just young TURDS who should know better even if they have to be schooled in proper edicate prior to such events.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I go to a lot of hockey games and when the anthems are about to start the announcer says "please rise and remove your hats" I have always seen this done, now that being said some players on the ice/bench have their helmets on so........I think its a spectator thing.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    As a funny aside, if anyone wants to look up some old George Carlin bits---he does one about not understanding why he should remove his hat for the national anthem...and why it would make more sense to him to remove his pants.
  • rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Vulchor:
    As a funny aside, if anyone wants to look up some old George Carlin bits---he does one about not understanding why he should remove his hat for the national anthem...and why it would make more sense to him to remove his pants.

That one is funny $hit!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    clearlysuspect:

Yeah as far as I know it is still the custom as has always been the case.

I don't know if it is part of the "counter-culture" of the boarder society or just plain rude (which it is) or what. The fact that you saw them do it while the American AND the Canadian anthem were being played just shows it wasn't a dis to the US or anything. Just young TURDS who should know better even if they have to be schooled in proper edicate prior to such events.
    Thank you sir for clearing this up for us. I don't think anyone felt offended. It was just something my coworker noticed and it sparked a debate between us.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I just figured that it was Canada, and it's fookin cold.

All I needed to know about Canadian culture I learned from watching "Strange Brew", eh?
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    zoom6zoom:
    I just figured that it was Canada, and it's fookin cold.

All I needed to know about Canadian culture I learned from watching "Strange Brew", eh?
    lol.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I agree with Laker on this one...I think it is more the "counter-culture" of the boarding community. These guys are a different breed altogether... I don't believe they intend to dis anything or anyone, it's just the way they are.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Hawk55:
    I agree with Laker on this one...I think it is more the "counter-culture" of the boarding community. These guys are a different breed altogether... I don't believe they intend to dis anything or anyone, it's just the way they are.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Wow... When did I fall into a Metallica Acid-Trip... (Pre Lars Ulrich becoming a pretentious child molester phag)