Home Cigar 101

Beads

How long should beads last? I know I have seen something on here before suggesting they lose there properties after a while...but how long is that. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I think 5 years is the typically quoted length of time; after that, they still work, but they begin breaking down and falling thru the holes of the humidifier and onto your sticks
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    That's about what I thought but my humi has been staying low for the last couple of weeks. This winter has been different than the last few...now that global warming has turned, lol. My 65 beads are running 62/63 which isn't an alarm but just being cautious since I am out of town a lot and I have not been checking nor smoking as often. The hygro is good btw, I had to replace the battery a few months ago and it has been recal'ed. Thanks again.
    No problem. You could always add more beads to compensate, but 62 ain't that bad for cigars by any means. So long as it stays above 60RH or begin wild swings, I wouldn't worry too much
  • If your 65% beads are at 62-63 you probably need to charge them again. I had that same problem and this worked for me.
    The beads are less than 2 years old. They shouldn't be going bad already. Were yours Heartfelt or another brand?
    bwcarter54:
    If your 65% beads are at 62-63 you probably need to charge them again. I had that same problem and this worked for me.
    If it's occurring in the winter, it could very well just be reduced humidity in his house; when the humidity drops in your house, it means the beads need to release more humidity since the humidity in your humidor leaks out much faster than it would if your house were more humid. Sometimes the beads can't compensate faster than the humidity leaks out, in which case you either need more beads, or learn to live with 2-3% less humidity than is ideal.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    xmacro:
    bwcarter54:
    If your 65% beads are at 62-63 you probably need to charge them again. I had that same problem and this worked for me.
    If it's occurring in the winter, it could very well just be reduced humidity in his house; when the humidity drops in your house, it means the beads need to release more humidity since the humidity in your humidor leaks out much faster than it would if your house were more humid. Sometimes the beads can't compensate faster than the humidity leaks out, in which case you either need more beads, or learn to live with 2-3% less humidity than is ideal.
    Definitely. My 65% beads are very difficult to keep at 65% in the cold, dry Michigan winters. I recently purchased some 70% beads because I'm lazy and don't like charging my beads every couple days, lol.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Andy! Welcome back brother, how the hell have you been?

I've heard the five year stuff as well. In my experience they last about a year before the start breaking to pieces and turning yellow. I've heard that once the start turning yellow they are losing their ability to properly maintain humidity.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wow.... ive had my beads for about 5 years

they seem to be spot on.

on THIS page you will find this quote:
    Heartfelt Industries:
    One good point to remember is humidification beads have an indefinite life span. There is nothing to wear out and all that is needed to maintain them is either the addition of distilled water or the drying out of the beads if they become water logged.
    Maddy...I have been great. Got a baby on the way in the next few weeks. Been traveling a ton also. Its been crazy.

How's the snow there in VA? Hope all is well!
    kuzi16:
    wow.... ive had my beads for about 5 years

they seem to be spot on.

on THIS page you will find this quote:
    Heartfelt Industries:
    One good point to remember is humidification beads have an indefinite life span. There is nothing to wear out and all that is needed to maintain them is either the addition of distilled water or the drying out of the beads if they become water logged.
    Kuz, the only thing I see on here that I did wrong was put the beads in tap water. It was once and I realized right after I did it, I then 'cleaned' them with distilled water. I'm not sure that this is the issue however, some of the beads are taking on the yellow tint that Maddy mentioned.

I may just have to get new beads to make sure I don't loose my stogies.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    Maddy...I have been great. Got a baby on the way in the next few weeks. Been traveling a ton also. Its been crazy.

How's the snow there in VA? Hope all is well!
    Hey man congrats!

The snow sucks, its melted here now.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    Good to see you back Andy. In the event that you choose to purchase new beads, I thought I'd pass along an alternative source. Same beads as Heartfelt, about half the price. Link I've purchased a couple pounds to use in my cooler and humidor, and they work great...plus they come with a free mesh sack.

Congrats on the new addition, glad to see it working out for you this time. Take care.
  • leonardleonard Posts: 359
    j0z3r:
    Bad Andy:
    Good to see you back Andy. In the event that you choose to purchase new beads, I thought I'd pass along an alternative source. Same beads as Heartfelt, about half the price. Link I've purchased a couple pounds to use in my cooler and humidor, and they work great...plus they come with a free mesh sack.

Congrats on the new addition, glad to see it working out for you this time. Take care.
    I recently purchased the same beads from the link. Needed more beads for the ever growing tuppadors. They are spot on. Thanks Joe!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    As usual I have nothing of value to add... BUT... Nice to see you again ANDY!!!!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ok, I went to re-charge my beads this weekend (they are holding the RH right at 68) I have 70% beads, so Im pretty happy.

Back to my question. When I went to re-charge them, I sprayed them getting it badk to approx 70% clear and 30 % white. I put them back into my humi and noticed white dust covering my hands. Is this silica dust? Is this dust they put on the bead to protect them in shipping? What is it?

I am feeling much better now knowing that I keep all the cello on all my sticks. I wouldnt want to be smoking this stuff.

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Fourtotheflush:
    Ok, I went to re-charge my beads this weekend (they are holding the RH right at 68) I have 70% beads, so Im pretty happy.

Back to my question. When I went to re-charge them, I sprayed them getting it badk to approx 70% clear and 30 % white. I put them back into my humi and noticed white dust covering my hands. Is this silica dust? Is this dust they put on the bead to protect them in shipping? What is it?

I am feeling much better now knowing that I keep all the cello on all my sticks. I wouldnt want to be smoking this stuff.

It probably is silica dust, or a powder put on them to avoid them sticking together.

When I purchased my beads they came with mesh bags to put the beads into, so they never come in direct contact with any of my sticks.

Doubt if it would hurt you to have a bit on a stick, but I know what you mean.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I have the beads in the mesh bags and the dust is permeating through the bags and onto my hands.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Fourtotheflush:
    I have the beads in the mesh bags and the dust is permeating through the bags and onto my hands.
    I would fire off an e=mail to whoever I bought them from and ask them. If anyone should know, it would be them.
    Probably just the beads breaking down from bumping into each other and rubbing on the mesh bag; you could just empty your mesh bag into a cooking strainer and roll the beads around in there to get the dust off
    Thanks for all the info and the congrats. It's good to see that some of y'all are still on here. I need to check in more often. Always good people and great discussions.
    Update:
    I overcharged the beads...left a some extra water in with them...and I am now up to 65%. I think it may have been a combo of keeping them a little too low and the extra dry/cold weather we are having this winter.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    I keep mine in pouches I made with white panty hose (they were my favorite pair too), and I get the same thing sometimes when I spray mine down. I spray straight through the panty hose and I usually have to move them around with my fingers to make sure I'm getting the ones in the middle of the pouch. I'm pretty sure this is just the beads breaking down from rubbing up against one another when I do this.