Home General Discussion

Cigar Lighters?

Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
What do you guys use for a cigar lighter? I see the many types of lighters, 1 flame, 2 flame or 3. Right now I use a torch like you use to light a grill or fire. I've read that you shouldn't use a match or candle etc. I don't know the differences in the cigar lighters and would like your thoughts and comments.
You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've have many lighters. Some are better at certain lighting needs than others. But the best one I've got for all around use is a Bugatti CEO. Triple flame, fuel window, and a built-in punch. 

My advice on general lighter use would be not to put the flame directly on the foot,  keep the flame back a ways and let the heat slowly light the foot.  

Matches are ok but let the sulfur head completely burn off before you light the cigar.

Single jet flames are ok but take longer on the initial light. And they are great for re-lights or touch-ups. 

I like the alec bradley burner (turned down to it's lowest setting) for my initial light. Re-lights are pretty good with it too. But it's a **** to operate if there's any wind. 
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a triple flame Moretti, which is great for lighting up outdoors, but I really feel it's overkill for parlor smoking.

I've seen a lot of guys using cedar slats/matches. Would like to order some to give it a try. I think for lighting indoors they're the way to go.

There's only been one or two occasions where I was glad I had a triple torch. Most if the time I'd rather use something that consumes less fuel and toasts slower. Half the fun of smoking is taking your time to light up.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have the Bugatti CEO that I got from my Secret Santa last year. I love it for initial toasts and relights.

I also carry the Black Ops single flame lighters. I have a couple of them, and love everything about them. They are very sturdy, easy to adjust, and great for touch ups. (Also dirt cheap)

So I toast with the CEO, then I will switch to the Black Ops to complete the lighting.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many good lighters out there. I prefer a triple torch. I keep my good lighters home and take my cheap ones out on the golf course or where ever because I've been known to forget them and lose them. I also pre cut my cigars when I go out somewhere so I don't lose my good cutter. I always have a spare cheap lighter/matches/ cutter in my truck and golf bag. This is what you need to
    do when you get old and forgetful.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pre-cutting makes sense, Al, and will also keep you from taking along a stick with a bad draw.

When indoors, the Alec Bradley Burner can't be beat.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a triple-torch that I use most, also a Zippo Blu single and a Ronson Jet-Lite single, different flame lengths.  Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.  Experimentation is your friend.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Firebird triple torch with built in punch and a cheap single torch a vendor threw in with an order.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another vote for the Bugatti CEO. Make sure you purge your lighter when empty before refilling to get the pressurized air out to avoid frustration in the future. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bic.
    I have a dozen or so torch lighters I use a lot, but most the time, I can never find them, but the Bic lighters never disappear.

Although, my little brother got me 5 boxes of Davidoff Giant cigar matches, the I really like.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Pre-cutting makes sense, Al, and will also keep you from taking along a stick with a bad draw.

When indoors, the Alec Bradley Burner can't be beat.
    The Burner is on the Daily Deal.
    Thank me later @timb
    A little dirt never hurt
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

IndustMech said:

Never scorch - never, never, never, never, in no flame great or small, soft or torch, never scorch except in winds of tornadoes or hurricanes.

It makes you wonder about the multi-flame cigar lighters marketed under the name Scorch Torch.

I am still curious if an improperly toasted (scorched) cigar is any hotter than the cherry once the smoke is underway.
    I still haven't conducted that experiment I have always said I was gonna try. Two same cigars, same box, same age etc, , toast one as per my usual slow easy method and then immediately thereafter, quad torch the next one close up and draw puff it till I get fireballs going, just to see if it tastes worse. My guess is it will. The real question is how much worse. 
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    IndustMech said:

Never scorch - never, never, never, never, in no flame great or small, soft or torch, never scorch except in winds of tornadoes or hurricanes. 
    @Bob_Luken, That’s the point that I was getting at. I love the slow “ritual” of heating and toasting a cigar, especially the aromas of the tobacco as they heat up. My flame never touches the cigar. 
    I hate to see the abuse of a cigar when someone with a blowtorch “scorches” the foot of the cigar and 1/2” of the wrapper...especially when it is a “cigar aficionado” doing a video review. That method has to affect the taste of the cigar! 

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    dbeckom said:

I hate to see the abuse of a cigar when someone with a blowtorch “scorches” the foot of the cigar and 1/2” of the wrapper...especially when it is a “cigar aficionado” doing a video review. That method has to affect the taste of the cigar! 
    You might be right, but how do we really know?  Who's to say that scorching it is really scorching it and that it's bad?  Maybe that's just a rumor that the butane manufacturers came up with to increase their sales, just like Hallmark comes up w/ fake holidays and special occasions so they can sell more cards.

Half joking/half serious....
    I think we're going to need some thermocouples and some analysis software and some blind trials to determine the best profile for lighting your cigar. 

I like to turn the end of my cigar evenly black and then wait a few minutes and sniff the foot before hitting it again and then starting to smoke the cigar.

• TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps we could obtain a government grant to study the benefits of various methods for lighting a cigar :)
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TBonz said:
    Perhaps we could obtain a government grant to study the benefits of various methods for lighting a cigar :)
    Some bozo "scientist" back a few decades ago got a grant to study why children fall off bicycles.  Don't see why we couldn't get one.   BTW, he determined they lose their balance.
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
    I always thought it would be interesting to do a study of the effects of equatorial solar radiation on the female epidermis.   B)
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TBonz I meant the wtf in a positive way. As how stupid can anybody be to do allow such a stupid study. But then again we're talking about the Government. Fall off a bike. WTF.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sleddog46...   I only remember that because it made me think WTF even back then when I was in high school.  Stuck with me all this time...
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
    edited November 2019
    peter4jc said:
    dbeckom said:

You might be right, but how do we really know?  Who's to say that scorching it is really scorching it and that it's bad?  Maybe that's just a rumor that the butane manufacturers came up with to increase their sales, just like Hallmark comes up w/ fake holidays and special occasions so they can sell more cards.

Half joking/half serious....
    • My reply in percentages.
    • 50% Haha. Good one. 
    • 30% If you assume somebody is slow toasting with a quad torch every time, yes, that would eat up a lot of fuel. How about a soft flame? Better for slow toasting in my humble opinion and uses less fuel I suppose. 
    • 20% Unaccounted for.   

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my reply in percentages.
    • 50% Haha. Good one. 
    • 30% If you assume somebody is slow toasting with a quad torch every time, yes, that would eat up a lot of fuel. How about a soft flame? Better for slow toasting in my humble opinion and uses less fuel I suppose. 
    • 20% Unaccounted for.   

I usually slow toast with a quad flame.  Does it use a lot of fuel?  Yes.  Do I mind?  No, but I also don't burn the wrapper.  Everybody has their own preferences.  I just like to watch the foot slowly glow to life.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

I light with a soft flame and don't believe that toasting before the actual lighting is necessary.
    I bet that would be useful for snow removal as well!  B)