Home Non Cigar Related

Weighted Blankets??

twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
So my wife is intrigued by the concept. She has hinted at wanting one. Has anyone here tried one yet? Would love to here reveiws or opinions.
no matter where you go, there you are.

Comments

• Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never tried one personally, but I used to work with severely special needs children and if one would have a seizure we'd put a weighted blanket on  and it had a very calming affect on him or her. 
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son bought one a few weeks ago. He seems to like it.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been thinking about one for my son. I would love to hear a review about the calming affect on children. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always liked a heavy blanket. Feels good. Heavy & hard pillow too.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a weighted blanket, they are comforting. My wife who is not autistic likes it too though not in the summer.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well this is a little bit off. They have been recommending weighted/heavy blankets for some animals for years. Seems to help with insecurity and fears. 
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Well this is a little bit off. They have been recommending weighted/heavy blankets for some animals for years. Seems to help with insecurity and fears. 
    Yes, I got my dog a thunder vest as he's terrified of thunder thunderstorms or loud noises. It calms him right down. It's like a pressure vest.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a weighted blanket, they are comforting. My wife who is not autistic likes it too though not in the summer.
    Thanks for the info, my son is slightly Autistic, and likes 3 or more blankets on him at night, I think it is the weight he likes. The wife and I have been considering getting him one.  
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Military wool blankets.
    Scratched myself to death with those damn things and they weighed a ton.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Thanks for the info, my son is slightly Autistic, and likes 3 or more blankets on him at night, I think it is the weight he likes. The wife and I have been considering getting him one.  
    I have the same problem. 
    Drives my wife nuts, cause she cooks if she gets close to me.
    It is a touch sensory thing and if he is like me, he won't grow out of it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use a white and black wool Hudson Bay 6 point blanket that I won at a tomahawk throwing contest 30 years ago. It's heavy and warm. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First I heard of weighed blankets was on this week's 9-1-1 show where I learned that they won't stop a meteor.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    We use a white and black wool Hudson Bay 6 point blanket that I won at a tomahawk throwing contest 30 years ago. It's heavy and warm. 
    My family had one of those from 80 years ago, I remember it fondly. Sadly, I had to throw it away 10 years ago when my mom died due to being stored improperly. 
    She's in the trophy room of course.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I "get" why some like these. My wife would love one.  As for me, crank the heat and turn up the humidifier and give me the lightest blanket possible.  I hate feeling trapped while I sleep.  I hate a blanket tucked around me.  I hate when my wife tucks the middle of the blanket around her and then it pulls down on me.  So much so that we used to use two twin blankets instead of a king.  But then she complained about feeling...something...when we didn't share.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    edited September 2021

With the nights getting cooler, boss lady threw my indian blanket on my side of the bed last night.
    It's amazing how a heavy blanket helps insomnia. I only woke up twice last night.
    After all summer with light bedding, I forgot how I missed my blanket.
    It's similar to a Pendleton blanket.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 25lb one with the glass bead in it. They are great for warm nights where you don't want to actually pile a lot of blankets over you. The only downside to them that I have found is they restrict the natural movement of your feet, which can lead to some wicked leg cramps. When I use mine I just scoot down and hang my feet off the bottom of the bed to counter it.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was shopping for a new pillow recently and also wanted to show my support for a certain pillow company which will remain un-named... and I saw they sell weighted blankets so I decided WTH and bought one. It probably weighs around 40 lbs and it came with a warning that you should start slowly and only use it for 15 to 30 minutes at a time until you get accustomed to it. I opened the box and decided it must be naptime and I slept like a damn log for around an hour. I have only used it a few times since I rarely get a chance to take a nap, but last night we were putting clean sheets on the bed and I decided to use the heavy blanket for the first time at night. I slept great but woke up early, so not sure if that is good or bad. It definitely has a calming effect.

"Not all heroes eat crepes"

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Ah, pillows. I like a thin pillow and sometimes no pillow at all otherwise my neck hurts. I found D-Core pillows that have sort of a cut-out where your head rests so your neck is supported by a thicker part of the pillow that I really enjoy. I have and adjustable bed that really helps me sleep too, elevating the head and feet slightly. I stash the remote in my pillow case so it doesn't get lost in the bed.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

@Brokegunner said:
    I slept great but woke up early, so not sure if that is good or bad. It definitely has a calming effect.

The question isn't how early you got up, but how rested did you feel?
    It's one thing to sleep good, but another thing if you wake up all groggy and feeling like crap.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had 2 weighted blankets, both for about a few months until I somehow ripped them and the beads started getting everywhere. I've given up since then, but I enjoyed using them while sitting in a chair.

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    I've had 2 weighted blankets, both for about a few months until I somehow ripped them and the beads started getting everywhere. I've given up since then, but I enjoyed using them while sitting in a chair.

Get yourself a Pendleton blanket. Not cheap, but well worth it.
    Or an old military issue wool blanket, they weighed a ton.
    But you have to put a sheet between them and you, or they'll scratch you to death.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: