Home Cigar 101

5 vegas.....not impressed

i ordered the 2009 5 vegas box special a month or so ago and so far smoked the gold and cask strength.

so far i am not impressed at all. the gold probably more because the flavors just didnt seem to mesh well IMO

the cask strength was okay for a smoke but i bet i had to touch it up 5 times before i finished it. terrible terrible burn.

Comments

• I've had a couple of the golds and wasn't that impressed either, the "A"s though are one of my favorite cigars. Love them.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    There are going to be a lot of guys who disagree with you. Myself included. But it's all subjective. Give them another chance - they are some of the most consistent sticks, have a huge variety of different cigars that are all excellent, and happen to have a wonderfully low price tag.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    You know give the cask II a little time in the humi and they will be great ..... the last one i had had an insane loose draw and had to be touched uo three or four times which i found unusual ....... i have also found that the 5V golds and classics arent my cup of tea any more .... not sure why but i used to enjoy them and not so much anymore .... still love the "A" and triple A series and the relic as long as its got at least 6 months on it .................. just my two cents
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    You know give the cask II a little time in the humi and they will be great .....
    Definately agree with this statement. I bought a ten pack back on a DD because everyone was raving about it on here and I hated the first one. After several weeks in the humi, the second one I smoked was awesome!
  • taddowtaddow Posts: 51
    I agree with this well. I haven't tried all of the 5 Vegas but I find myself smoking these every so often and find them to be pretty good.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    clearlysuspect:
    kingjk729:
    You know give the cask II a little time in the humi and they will be great .....
    Definately agree with this statement. I bought a ten pack back on a DD because everyone was raving about it on here and I hated the first one. After several weeks in the humi, the second one I smoked was awesome!
    Funny, my first CSII was OTT (from same DD) and was great. The rest are still resting, can't wait to revisit :^)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i found that fresh 5 vegas cigars (under 6 months in the humidor) dont seem to do well. its exactly as stated in the original post of this thread... burn problems.

give them time. let them rest. when you pull em out in october around the campfire you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't impressed by the cask strength 2 either and the one i smoked had quite a bit of rest on it. it was okay but it wasn't like a diesel with 6months on it or anything. I haven't had the gold so i can't say. The Relic is just okay and the last one had a ton of burn problems for me, it must have needed some rest. I say, try the Miami and the Classic.
  • I didn't like the Gold at all. The one 'A' I had was so so. The Cask was pretty good. I absolutely love the Miami. I will definately give the A's another shot though. Too many people like them and I may have had a bad stick. Haven't yet tried the Classic, but will soon.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I have not met a 5 vegas that I liked - Gold, Relic, CS II, A. But to some of the points above they were all fairly fresh and didnt have 6+ months on them. That being said, do I want to sit on 5 Vegas for 6 months or just go with something I know I will like fresh, with significant rest, and like after aging? I will go with other makers for a while. I do want to try some of the limitada's.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I do not like the Gold, or Classic. The CS2, A and AAA are good smokes
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I like the Classic a lot, and like the 'A', too, though I'm not much of a maduro man.

My only problem with the Classic is, as already mentioned, inconsistent construction. I've had good luck with the torpedo, and decent luck with the panatela, but I think every 55 I've smoked has been seriously underfilled. For about the same money, I can get an Uppman, which, to me, has a similar, very traditional flavor profile (which is what I like about both), and are always well made.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've had more trouble with the 55 as well. The only other Classic that gave me trouble was one double corona that was either packed too tight or had a plug. Aside from that, I've had little to no trouble with the Classic. And on the whole I really like 5 Vegas, I'm not crazy about the Relic or some of the Limitada blends, but for the money they are very reliable cigars.
    j0z3r:
    I've had more trouble with the 55 as well. The only other Classic that gave me trouble was one double corona that was either packed too tight or had a plug. Aside from that, I've had little to no trouble with the Classic. And on the whole I really like 5 Vegas, I'm not crazy about the Relic or some of the Limitada blends, but for the money they are very reliable cigars.

So I dont smoke all that often. maybe 1-2 per week, more during spring and summer. so spending a few dollars more per cigar doesnt really bother me. Say I spend $3 more per cigar thats only $75-100 per year which really isnt over the top.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    j0z3r:

So I dont smoke all that often. maybe 1-2 per week, more during spring and summer. so spending a few dollars more per cigar doesnt really bother me. Say I spend $3 more per cigar thats only $75-100 per year which really isnt over the top.
    More power to ya then, smoke what you like. For me 5 Vegas makes a good, everyday type cigar...it's not the only thing I smoke, but I do enjoy most of what they put out. Then again, I smoke 2-3 per day, so it's always nice to have some $2-$3 cigars on hand that I don't hate.
    j0z3r:
    Fourtotheflush:
    j0z3r:

More power to ya then, smoke what you like. For me 5 Vegas makes a good, everyday type cigar...it's not the only thing I smoke, but I do enjoy most of what they put out. Then again, I smoke 2-3 per day, so it's always nice to have some $2-$3 cigars on hand that I don't hate.

If I liked them, I would smoke them at any reasonable price point. I like Nub that is a fairly reasonable price on the DD here. But basically these guys here keep us rolling in premiums for cheap so Im not compaining at all. Without Ccom I wouldnt have tried most of the brands I now Know and love.

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Fourtotheflush:
    Without Ccom I wouldnt have tried most of the brands I now Know and love.
    Likewise.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Likewise.
    interesting.

without the good people on the forum i wouldnt have tried as many brands as i have. the PIF and the games and contests all introduced me to many, many brands.
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Likewise.
    interesting.

without the good people on the forum i wouldnt have tried as many brands as i have. the PIF and the games and contests all introduced me to many, many brands.

All part of Ccom, I credit them for this too. I have tried quite a few great sticks from all the fun games here!

• 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    The 'A' was the last cigar I smoked before the arctic temps set in here in VA and I have to say that I instantly labeled it my future "everyday smoke." I hope when the temps warm up I don't change my mind but at the time it was about the best smoke I had had for the price.
    I have only had 1 A. It was box pressed and I really had trouble getting much smoke out of it as it was tight and plugged. I tried a few different teq's to unplug it. I think it worked eventually, but ruined the smokin experience for me.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    To me, 5 Vegas represents a very quality product for a typically insane price. The 'A' is a cigar that has a Costa Rican Maduro wrapper. It is similar, but in my opinion, better then a Partagas black; every time I've had one, I've had a positive experience, especially with the Apocalypse vitola. An 'A' Apocalypse around a grill in the summer is a superb experience. I'm not horribly fond of the classic, but I have no complaints about it, either. The Miami is a fantastic smoke as well, a great array of flavors, even in the reblend. This year's Limitada is also a fantastic smoke, nice and strong with the sweetness that you'd look for in Dominican products. The relic I've never had a great experience with, the construction makes maintaining humidity and such very hard. The Cask Strength II is everything that I look for in a cigar; it's full-bodied, a black pepper bomb with just this quality about it... it helps that I've had some great experiences with it as well. As my dad put it, it's just a special cigar.
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    I bought a 5 pack of the Relic when it first came out.....I have one left. NOT a fan of this cigar at all. VERY VERY tough to draw......And I am a BIG fan of 5 vegas.......just not this one....and I was really hoping to like it.
  • SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    I had a 5 Vegas A Apex last night that was in my humidor for a bit over a year, and it was quite delicious. This morning I had a AAA and it too was fantastic. My favorite of the line before the invent of the AAA was the original Cask Strength (which sadly I have only three left), though I have not tried the CS II yet. I like the Miami as well, and even the Original 5 Vegas Classic. I however cannot stand the gold.
    I have also not tried the Relic, or the Limitada 09. As for the Limitada, I have only one each left of the Limitada 05, 06 and 07, and liked them all.
  • I also cannot stand the Gold,but love the Classic,the A & the AAA.The Miami is great too. I have a couple Cask II, Relics, & Limitadas resting.Soon as I shake this cold I want to give them a try.
  • EJS54EJS54 Posts: 12
    I have had a few Gold's from various orders and trades and to me they seem like a cheap version of a mild Macanudo gone wrong. I'm a guy who enjoys the milds all the way up to the strongest but the 5 Vegas Gold just doesnt do it for me. The maduro A's..."hey this isnt AS bad". I would have one again. Still on the mild end but sure wouldnt complain about smoking. I have had two Miami's and what can I saw....WOW those are good. Of the 3 I have mentioned those are the only 3 of 5 Vegas series I have had. I might attempt a few other different ones but going to steer clear of the golds. I wouldnt order the A's again but like I said, its neutral for me. I will have to try out the AAA's though.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    I like most of the line up from 5V, including the gold. I don't claim to be a connie fan, but I like this one. Miami is my favorite and A is great too. I have some AAA but have decided to wait for warmer weather on that one. IMHO, Don't try a relic "fresh". I did this and it was way off! After a couple months it was better - still not awesome though. Classic is pretty good as far as I am concerned I have this problem where I always factor in price. Classic is good for the dough.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    And on the whole I really like 5 Vegas, I'm not crazy about the Relic or some of the Limitada blends, but for the money they are very reliable cigars.
    I agree 100% with this, not too hot on the Relic or some of the Limitadas, but other than that I dig most of the 5 Vegas lines. The CSII is one of my favorite all-around cigars.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    5 Vegas is my go-to cigar. I've had them fresh OTT and have had them aged for 6 mos. and both were great. Only one time have I had any burn issues with any. I've had all save the Relic, and some of the Limitada's (had the '08 thanks to bacon.jay) and they have all been very good with a an almost perfect burn everytime.

The 'A' is probably my least favorite of all the ones I've had. Just goes to show, YMMV when it comes to anything subjective!
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    The Gold is a bit too mild for me, but I keep some on hand to share with noobs. I feel the Classic's taste profile is about as close to an ISOM as you can get. Personally I haven' had any burn issues with the Relics.