Home Cigar 101
Options

Travel Humidor?

I will deploying to Haiti soon. I am wanting to get a travel humidor and I have a couple of questions... Any suggestions on a solid travel humidor? (10-15 sticks) Should i seperate the medium bodied cigars from the full bodied cigars? Will 4 months be too long in a travel humidor for my smokes?

Comments

• Options
    nudienudie Posts: 112
    not if you maintain it properly... maybe put some cedar dividers from another humi in there too... http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-CIO3540
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Herf-a-Dor 15 capacity is pretty solid, hard plastic outside, foam lined inside. I'd suggest putting a water pillow in there to maintain humidity, but aside from that your cigars will be fine in it for that duration. If it were me, I wouldn't bother separating the cigars, if there is any exchange between the cigars it would be so minimal you'd never notice.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    +1 for herf-a-dor
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    +2. I got the 10 count and love it. For you, get the 15. A water pillow will work for a while - just dip it in some distilled water when it gets a little dry. I'm completely paranoid, so I would bring a digital hygrometer with me if I were you.

Another thing you might do is get a cheap, larger humidor sent to you. You can grab a 50-100 count humidor for $40-50 shipped these days and it would allow you to keep a lot more variety on hand. I was deployed in '05-06 and one thing I truly regret is not taking the time to smoke cigars, read great literature, and think about the important questions that all of us should think about.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    OH. And if you do end up wanting the 15 count herfador, call Jeff at ccom and tell him you're getting deployed. He runs a charity that helps deployed troops and wounded vets. I'm sure he'd love to talk with you about your deployment, and maybe he'd get you a good deal on that herfador and a couple great sticks to go with it. :)
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I have a 15 count travel herf that I use like twice a month (I'm always leaving) I actually have crap sticks that I put in to hold space if I am only bringing a few with me. I love it. I do have two sides to a cigar box in there on the sides of the herfador. They are so skinny they don't affect anything, and I get that cedar piece of mind.