Home General Discussion

Humidor Newair CC-100H

I am new to this, so please bear with me.  I just purchased a Newair humidor and followed the instructions on how to season it.  I filled the container with distilled water, placed it on the bottom and about three hours later the hydrometer read 80%, I removed the water tray and added my cigars.  Since that time the humidity runs high, around 85%, I bring it down by opening the door for an hour or so, the reading goes down to 75%, I close the door and an hour later the humidity is back up to 80%+.
Any thoughts on what is going on and how to correct this? Thanks in advance

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add some boveda packs. They will absorb humidity over their rating
  • JoelJoel Posts: 2
    Thank you deadman
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider leaving the door open longer.  Let it go down to 60% for example, and see how far it rebounds.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is this with or without cigars in it??
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to note is that as the temperature drops (presumably when you close the door of the humidor) the relative humidity rises for the same amount of moisture in the air because cold air can hold less moister in the air than warmer air.

Boveda packs are the way to go to regulate humidity.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 hours is.not long enough to season the cedar. I reccomend a week with the distilled water. Leave the cigars out during this time. After a week, remove the water dish, fill with cigars, amd place boveda in there.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point, Nick, I didn't catch that part.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got one of these as well. I just put 4 Boveda 84s in it for seasoning without any water. Humidity went from 55% to 61% the first day. Now it's slowly rising.
    I think patience will be the key.
    Sorry I misread. I got the CC-300, but I think the concept remains the same.