Home Cigar 101

Cracked Wrappers.

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
With the humidity low this winter. I recently had to toss a cigar because the wrapper started to un roll. I was gentle with the stick but the wrapper cracked and fell apart. The next day I pulled the same brand out of my humidor and lightly misted it with a spray bottle of water. I let the cigar rest in the humidor for a hour and lit it up. No issues with a cracked wrapper. 

Comments

• Jrfoxx2Jrfoxx2 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭
    Interesting idea.  I have been having issues with split wrappers when using my draw tool. Primarily on Coronas
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrappers are applied pretty moist so the roller can stretch the leaf and provide a nice smooth exterior. Then the wrapper shrinks as it dries. If the wrapper leaf dries to much it becomes brittle. If the cigar interior bunch retains moisture and swells bit and the wrapper is brittle from being dry the wrapper will probably split. Just handling will make a mess of a thin brittle wrapper. By misting the wrapper will stretch and give a bit. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to post this on the Things You Hate thread, but it fits here too.

Just cracked the wrapper on a New World Cameroon with my V-cutter. Waiting for the El Ligador wrapper repair to dry. I'll have to try misting the cigar next time.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cameroons, sungrown and sumattra seem to all be susceptible to this.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    I wonder if @Bob_Luken's intimate cigar prep method would help.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The snot works wonders.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • ThisGuy03ThisGuy03 Posts: 4

@0patience said:
    Cameroons, sungrown and sumattra seem to all be susceptible to this.

I have had three of my sticks crack on me in the last week while resting in the humidor.

1.) San Andres
    2.) Leaf by Oscar 6x60 Sumatra
    3.) A Southern Draw Connecticut

Very frustrated with this, as it's my first time experiencing this behavior from any of my sticks. I have a NewAir CC-100H with about 80 cigars or so running 70 degrees and 70 percent RH. I don't keep any cigars in the cellophane, but it looks like I will start to from now on to try and curb this from happening in the future.

Anyone else got an idea of how this happens besides quickly shocking the cigar from low RH levels to high RH levels?

Thanks.

70 degrees and 70 percent RH

That may have something to do with it.
    Thin wrappers and high humidity are a bad combination.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • ThisGuy03ThisGuy03 Posts: 4

@0patience said:

70% high? Isn't that the ideal storage rh?

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThisGuy03 said:

@0patience said:

Most here prefer lower. Personally I do 65-68

70 sounds good, it's a round number, but it's far from ideal, especially where you are, go lower and let your cigars acclimate for a few hours before you smoke them if you can.

@ThisGuy03 said:

@0patience said:

Ideal storage, according to whom?

If it wasn't high, then why are so many people having troubles at 70, while those of us who are running 65-68 don't seem to have those issues.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither do those of us who run 62-65. Of course, my rh today in Vegas is 12%

Don't look ↑
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

@0patience said:

@ThisGuy03 said:

@0patience said:

If it wasn't high, then why are so many people having troubles at 70, while those of us who are running 65-68 don't seem to have those issues.

This is so hotly debated I don’t even want to weigh in on what is best.
    Fact of the matter is the little hygrometers we use aren’t that accurate. +/- 2 at best. If you could move the hygrometer around inside your humidor you’d likely get different readings. Point is arguing 68 or 70 is pretty pointless. Goal should be to stay below 70 in your smoking box. Aging box is a different animal and there are as many opinions out there as there are possible scenarios of temp/rh

@madurofan said:

@0patience said:

@ThisGuy03 said:

@0patience said:

Fact of the matter is the little hygrometers we use aren’t that accurate. +/- 2 at best. If you could move the hygrometer around inside your humidor you’d likely get different readings. Point is arguing 68 or 70 is pretty pointless. Goal should be to stay below 70 in your smoking box. Aging box is a different animal and there are as many opinions out there as there are possible scenarios of temp/rh

And I have said a thousand times that it is all preference. What works best for that specific person.
    My point wasn't that it should be this or should be that.
    My point was, quit listening to the X-spurts and figure out what works best for you.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

@0patience said:

@madurofan said:

@0patience said:

@ThisGuy03 said:

@0patience said:

And I have said a thousand times that it is all preference. What works best for that specific person.
    My point wasn't that it should be this or should be that.
    My point was, quit listening to the X-spurts and figure out what works best for you.

Couldn’t agree more.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find a crappy roll usually leads to a cracked wrapper. Could be wrong.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:

@ThisGuy03 said:

@0patience said:

Way way less at 65 which works for me.

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking 68-70 is normal too. Good thread, now lowering my humidors. Having some trouble getting too humid in MA now. Think my seals may not be the best.

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least for the time being, provided the same majority of people keep believing in the 70 percent theory, all 65% Boveda are cheaper than the 69%. For years I've been perfectly content with this, so here's hoping it doesn't change.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BKDog do you do anything special in the summer when it gets humid?