Home General Discussion

Want to try a lounge - foolishly intimidated

BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
So I'm a relative newb to the leaf but I'm enjoying things so far. I keep thinking how nice it would be to have a cozy, friendly place to go to slowly enjoy my smoke, and perhaps bullshit with some friendly regulars. Especially in the winter. So part of me really wants to try a cigar lounge. There's a well rated, friendly sounding one near me but I am too scared to go in as a lounge customer.

I've read tons of articles on lounge/B&M etiquette and it all makes sense to me. So I think I'd be able to avoid stepping on toes. I'm a chick but I have always gotten along great with guys - so that shouldn't be the issue. I dunno, I'm just chickenshit. It's probably a combo of going into something like this alone, worrying about looking like an idiot, worrying that the regulars will glare at me cause I'm new. Please tell me I'm just being foolish. Thanks!
It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating. - Jack Handey 

Comments

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Jeeze, if I felt half as confident as you, I could rule the world!  Just do it girl, I bet you a dollar to a donut hole they would welcome and help you with any questions or issues.  

PS:  What part of the world you from?  Just might be a BOTL or SOTL close to you.....
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Don't worry, the people working the lounge may know less than you about cigars. (and especially the difference between mold and plume)

I enjoy lounges with an easy-going vibe, not feeling welcome by pretentious lounges. Luckily they're not hard to find here.

I think @VegasFrank is our resident lounge lizard, maybe he'll chime in.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Fridays and Weekends are popular times to vHerf.  It uses Google Hangouts.

As the night wears on and we get more lubricated the vHerf gets more, um, entertaining.

Join me on the vHerf or try the iOS vHerf Link for iPhones -Chris
    Post edited by Yakster on
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry about it, Liz.  Lots of people have never been to a cigar lounge, myself included.  Now that my son is old enough to get into bars we will be hitting one in Boston this summer.  Pickings are slim in these parts.  As @Stubble said, you'll probably be welcomed by all.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You ^ should go to Two Guys Smoke Shop in NH.  Salem, Nashua, and Manchester locations.

@BadSneakers, lounges are just Hangouts, there's nothing to them.  I've never been to an unfriendly one before, and everybody loves seeing new people at their local Hangouts.  

From my experience, there are very few know-it-alls or a-holes in these places. Nobody cares who is smoking the high-end or boutique cigar. In fact I'd say that a lot of guys just smoke the house cigars and are hanging out watching TV and shooting the breeze. I like going to hang out sometimes, but I also like going and throwing on my headphones and sinking into my own world because I want to smoke inside. Everyone is accepted and there's no complicated etiquette.  Well, other than borrowing someone's cutter and then licking your cigar up and down.... Don't do that!

Chris is also right. Join us for some v herff sometime using the link that he provided. Pretty fun group of people. If you do join us, I apologize for Ricky in advance....
    Don't look ↑
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Just go. If no one is willing to help or be friendly then that’s not your lounge, move to the next.

Did you say you where in the Miami area? There’s a lot of good SOTL in that area. DM me if you like. 
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go to a cigar lounge, walk in like you own the place!
    Not smug or arrogant, but no fear either.
    Ask questions and be patient to replies, even if they wander off topic.
    9 out of 10 people there will be happy to see you and the other one is an @sshole you don’t want to talk to anyway. 
    The v-herf is a great place to meet members here, information and bad behavior are widespread every time we are on.
    I apologize for Patrick in advance.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do it. There are no lounges around me but during a recent trip to Phoenix I made an effort to visit as many lounges as I could. Not one bad experience. Even in the one where I broke the chair! I knew very little about cigars but everyone was real helpful. You may experience more "helpful" people being a lady but puttying your cigar out on the back of a couple hands will take care of that. Seriously, go and enjoy yourself. You can do what I did and ask if anyone here lives near where you want to go and see if they would join you. Good luck.
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fraid of what? You need to take your boyfriend with you? Your Dad? Your pit bull?

Of course not. Just go and make friends.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks folks. I realize I'm being irrational. Guess I just wanted to get a bunch of people to confirm that. 😂 Weather is probably going to force my hand on the issue, anyhow. Yesterday I enjoyed a smoke out in 18 degree weather and though bundled up and all I was like "oh hell no" to this - and winter is just getting started. Having a warm place to enjoy a stick in the middle of winter sounded awfully appealing.

Yakster said:
    I enjoy lounges with an easy-going vibe, not feeling welcome by pretentious lounges. .
    This is me, as well. I am not into the stereotypical high society, fancy lounges. Nothing pretentious that looks like it belongs in a '90s East Coast rap video. lol I'm a pretty laid back person and that's the vibe I'd like, too.

other than borrowing someone's cutter and then licking your cigar up and down.... Don't do that!
    What a bummer! So no licking my blue raspberry Swisher Sweet up and down till it's all soggy then chopping it with another customer's cutter? 😂

deadman said:
    Did you say you where in the Miami area? 
    I'm originally from Miami but I currently live in southern New England. 

Thanks everyone! 

It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating. - Jack Handey 
    Liz is fun!   Can we keep her?
    Yeah but since Tish is MIA she’s going to have to post nail pics
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. If you can stand the smoke, a lounge experience is just dandy. And in some cases, a necessity. Never have I felt unwelcome, anywhere. But I've never enjoyed a room full of secondhand smoke. I've enjoyed everything else about cigar lounges but I'm partial to fresh air. Most of my smoking is done in my garage where I can keep the smoke out of the house, regulate the fresh air I get and if it's cold, bundle up. Plus V-herf is the best lounge I ever been to. 
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vherf Lounge in 10 minutes.
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    But I've never enjoyed a room full of secondhand smoke. I've enjoyed everything else about cigar lounges but I'm partial to fresh air. 

I hear you. The lounge near me is supposed to have a super fancy vent system that swaps out the air 14 times an hour so hopefully it isn't too bad in that regard. I don't mind some smoke but yeah - if it looks like I'm in the basement of some Martin Scorsese film and Joe Pesci is about to shoot me in the middle of a poker game - that's too smoky.

I don't really have any spot on my property that I can turn into an indoor/weather-protected smoke spot. I can tough it out now but it's gonna be a bummer when the New England winter really gets going. 
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

You jest, but I bet everyone here has seen it happen.  I've had it happen to me.  Guy asks to borrow my cutter for his padron 50th.  Ok guy, sure. I mean, the house cutter is up at the counter AND you plopped down bragging about your overpriced stick, but I'll help your pompus āss.  He proceeds to perform **** on that thing, and then lops off almost an eighth of the dripping wet stick.  He goes to toss my cutter back to me and I say, "keep it."
    other than borrowing someone's cutter and then licking your cigar up and down.... Don't do that!
    What a bummer! So no licking my blue raspberry Swisher Sweet up and down till it's all soggy then chopping it with another customer's cutter? 😂

Don't look ↑
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    badsneakers said:
    " I don't really have any spot on my property that I can turn into an indoor/weather-protected smoke spot. "

maybe?
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/best-tent-heaters-for-2019/
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pop up Shelter, Sport tent  

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t live close to any B&Ms.  When I travel and get the chance to visit one it has always been a great experience.  It’s like walking in a candy store.  The lounge has also been a great experience because you just never know who you will meet or the stories they will tell.  
    It may seem intimidating but just go for it!
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I can tough it out now but it's gonna be a bummer when the New England winter really gets going. 

Welcome to my world!   The garage is usable, but even that's getting chilly these days.   
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
    deadman said:
    Yeah, where is Trish?  I hope she didn't really beat her mechanic to death, I know he was asking for it. 
    LOL, heard from her a 4 months or so ago. That was my question if we need to get bail money together for her.
  • TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadman said:
    Fear not @deadman... I have your nail pic right here... I won't say who's janky bandage falling off has forever ruined  my nail thread....

Stubble said:
    Note to self:  Gawking is bad.  Never gawk again.
    What about side gawk or a casual gawk?