Home General Discussion

Seasoning Humidor

RogerRoger Posts: 7
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
So I am trying to season this new humidor (used the wipe down method and the sponge on a ziplock bag until it read 72). Then I took the sponge/ziplock back out.. I forgot to see if the analog hygrometer was reading correctly. It showed 72 percent. I went and bought a digital hygrometer today to only see the new humidor reads 87% at 71.4 degrees F. This is a smaller humidor (25-50 desktop). 

What do I need to do to get the percentage right? Let’s keep in mind this is my first humidor (other than the smaller travel size). 

Thank y’all in advance!

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @peter4jc what do you think?
    Don't look ↑
  • RogerRoger Posts: 7
    That’s funny.. Does anyone have any ideas... I’m letting it sit until I can figure out how to get it to drop a to the ideal 69-72 (is what I have been reading). I just don’t want to put the cigars (8 of them) in there yet. I want to get the percentage right first 
    Ok I'll bite then....assuming it's been seasoning for the requisite two weeks...

Leave it open for a few minutes, then load it up with already properly humidified smokes and throw a boveda in there.  Voila!  Done. 

It's a tiny humidor, so you have a better chance of controlling the humidity in your kitchen.  Then again chances are that a 60g boveda will do a good enough job in that small box either way.
    Don't look ↑
    edited December 2019
    Vegas,

This is my first humidor and I was told to wet it down lightly with distilled water or humidor solution. I stuck the wet sponge and then wet the humidifier with the distilled water.  When it recess he’s the ideal 68-72 remove the sponge and ziplock bag.  I’m only on day 2 and just worried about the 87 percent Did I do this right at all? Normally i buy just a few cigars at a time and place them in my traveler case before smoking. However I want to have a collection now and have a feeling I’m destroying this humidor.

It is a 

Mantello 25-50 Cigar Desktop Humidor Royale Glasstop

edited December 2019
    Day 2?  Put the sponge back in it for 12 days.  Close it, and forget it for 12 days! After 12 days, we'll talk.  

Oh, two pro tips for you: 1) don't wipe it down with solution. That will ruin it. 2) Take the little humidifier it came with, fill it with water, and gently place it in the trash can.  Get a boveda. 

Don't look ↑
    edited December 2019
    Ok I got 2 boveda 69 packs... Is that what I need? I wiped it down with distilled water and a sponge very lightly

Can I leave the humidifier in it for now or immediately toss it tonight and let the sponge filled with distilled water stay in it for 12 days.. 

Thank you this is my first humidor at 33 years of age. I normally get them from the shop and smoke them or put 2-4 in my travel case with the boveda 69 pack
    Wet sponge 12 days.  Throw away the humidifier now, it's a mold factory. after 12 days, boveda and cigars.
    Don't look ↑
    Thank you so much sir.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    @Roger , Go to the Cigar 101 section, near the top you'll find a thread on seasoning humidors titled "Having Trouble with Your New Humidor?".  Follow the instructions you find there.  This will lead you to roughly 3,000 threads asking exactly the same question.  That is all.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you get it where you want it, reeeeeeeeeeee- lax.    If there's a 6 as the first digit of your Rh, you're good.   Don't stress the daily variations  
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    @VegasFrank, I got a lump of coal from 🎅 so I'm keeping my mouth shut. 
    Add mine and we can have a BBQ while smoking cigars
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Roger Welcome to the forum. You've gotten some great advice so far but I am going to lean in a new direction. Think of your new humidor as a big 75 foot ocean going pleasure boat. And what should every boat like that have? A life-raft. You may be asking yourself, "WTF is up with this guy?". I just want to get down to the cold hard truth. Your humidor has a high chance of being a frustrating infuriating piece of sh_t.  IMHO There's a 50/50 chance you'll have a bad seal and regulating humidity would be a never ending struggle. So that's why I'm saying you need a life-raft for your cigars. Be prepared to abandon humidor and store your cigars in plastic containers with Bovedas. I'm talkin' about Tupperdors, Coodidors, Herfadors, and even ziplocs, so you won't have to stress over your cigars when your wooden humidor wants to act like a ****.

Any specific questions you have for me, feel free to ask. Also I dug up an old thread with some humidor seasoning discussions. Click on the following link. https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/838565/newly-seasoned-humidor-is-waaaaaaay-too-humid/p1

^^^^  I've forgone 2 really nice desktops in favor of plastic.  Still have 'em, but now they hold fly tying material.   
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only keep my cheap yard gars in my humidor. The rest are in my winedor and my weatherproof plastic cratedor.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    edited December 2019
    I'm aspiring to be like @Far_North_64 with his wall mounted, slide out tray equipped coolidor.   That thing is skookum as frig!!