Home General Discussion

Pairing coffee and cigars

*not selling anything here, just need honest opinion!*

Afternoon, Gents!

I have been a lover of coffee and cigars for a long time. I know a lot of people love pairing coffee and cigars together, however, there seems to be no real literature on how to pair some cigars with kinds of coffees (single origins, etc.) unlike alchohol and cigar pairing.

I have an extensive background in specialty coffee (seed-to-cup) and have been smoking for 10+ years. I'm thinking of starting a coffee+cigar subscription that will send out a cigar and pound of coffee that I have vetted that pairs well together, teach how to get the best brew results per brewing method, and flavor notes to look for on both sides.

I know that's something I want I'm the world. I just want to see if I'm the only one here.

If you think it's a decent idea. How much would that be worth to you?

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We already get coffee and cigars from @peter4jc, The Excellent Cup.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    You'd be welcome to introduce yourself, hang around and enjoy the community, and talk cigars and coffee.  There are several here that are serious about their coffee and I think there'd be some consensus that almost any cigar will pair with almost any coffee.  Prove me wrong.

But to your point, I'll bet there are plenty of people who would think it's a great idea you have and that they will improve their lives if they believe you.  It just happens that I don't.

And this isn't meant to sound nasty or cast aspersions on your character or intentions, but this community sees plenty of first posts looking for opinions on a business model and/or 'how do you like my new invention/website', etc.  If you could rewind the clock by a day and come hang out and get a few dozen posts under your belt, it would've looked a lot better.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always drink my Sanka with a gurkha, and I always smoke my Gurkahs with a Sanka.
    Don't look ↑
    Wha...wha....what?  Who? 
    Don't look ↑
    Ummm, I write the letter, and I have a feeling that's not making it in there....
    Don't look ↑
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll just go next door and tell him.
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadman said:
    peter4jc said:
    Note to all members; Frank is gathering material for next year's Dear Santa post and anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of public opinion.
    Ghurkas and instant coffee for Frank 
    Um, not just any instant coffee, it has to be Sanka. Poor guy, I bet he doesn't have any of either of those.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *not selling anything here, just need honest opinion!*

Afternoon, Gents!

I have been a lover of coffee and cigars for a long time. I know a lot of people love pairing coffee and cigars together, however, there seems to be no real literature on how to pair some cigars with kinds of coffees (single origins, etc.) unlike alchohol and cigar pairing.

I have an extensive background in specialty coffee (seed-to-cup) and have been smoking for 10+ years. I'm thinking of starting a coffee+cigar subscription that will send out a cigar and pound of coffee that I have vetted that pairs well together, teach how to get the best brew results per brewing method, and flavor notes to look for on both sides.

I know that's something I want I'm the world. I just want to see if I'm the only one here.

If you think it's a decent idea. How much would that be worth to you?
    My opinion,.... coffee and cigars are good together but, brown liquor and cigars are a much better pairing. Also cigars are much more often an evening ritual so caffeine at night is another down-vote for coffee pairings. But that doesn't mean I don't like coffee-n-cigars, I do. 

I like your idea of expanding everyone's enjoyment of coffee-cigar pairings, and there's nothing wrong with making a buck, but your knowledge is really the product, right?  Is your extensive background in coffee impressive? You didn't elaborate much on that. I would assume that if you had some impressive experience you would have included a few more words about that.  Have you considered writing a book on coffee and cigars? If you're not already an impressive coffee-cigar expert, by the time you wrote a book on the subject, you would be. And during your research for the book you could still offer subscriptions and get valuable feedback from customers. But do I think your subscription idea will make money? 

magic 8 ball GIF by Jim Gaffigan

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Pete's sake stop it.
    If you like the coffee you have, drink it.
    If you have a cigar you like, smoke it.
    If you can do both at the same time without having some sort of a conniption fit, or bad experience, and it pleases you, just do it.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop what? Whatever "it" is, I need to know if I'm doing it in the first place before I stop anything.   
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    OK, deep breath in...2...3...4

Now out...P...R...O...Z...A...

C...Don't we all feel better?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Stop what? Whatever "it" is, I need to know if I'm doing it in the first place before I stop anything.   

You're talking about cigars and what beverage goes well with them, on a cigar forum.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.