Home Non Cigar Related

B/SOTL in Recovery?

BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭
I'm in recovery and when I initially started getting into cigars one of my concerns was the very real connection between cigars and booze. There's nothing wrong with that, of course. But I was worried I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy the range of notes in a good stick since i would never be pairing it with some good whisk(e)y. Of course I quickly realized this wasn't the case - there are a load of non-alcoholic drinks that pair very well with cigars. So far I've found good coffee goes well wtih many sticks and even dark sodas (coke, dr pepper) can pair well. I had a Dr Pepper with a La Gloria Cubana R the other day and it was amazingly synergistic. 

It would just be cool to know if there are any other BSOTL who are clean/sober. 
It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating. - Jack Handey 

Comments

• Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only pair my cigars with relaxing. For me it doesn't need to be augmented with anything in my opinion
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭
    Duly noted. Congrats on your 3 1/2 years!
    It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating. - Jack Handey 
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duly noted. Congrats on your 3 1/2 years!
    No worries, it's got the second A for a reason is all.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me used to be angry young man
    Me hiding me head in the sand
    You gave me the word, I finally heard
    I'm doing the best that I can

I've got to admit it's getting better (Better)
    A little better all the time (It can't get no worse)

--Paul McCartney
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sober... currently either... but I wanted to recommend Root Beer / Sarsaparilla as a great non-alcoholic pairing.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoke more cigars with a Diet Coke than I do with anything stronger.  Probably over a year it is 10 to 1 on Diet Coke vs. a beer.  I rarely drink anything stronger than a beer and haven't paired cigars with liquor.  
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too ^, or a diet Dr. Pepper.  I find that the abrasiveness of the carbonation helps to keep the pallet fresh when I smoke six face melters in a day.  
    Don't look ↑
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anybody screwed up their palate with orange juice or eating citrus and totally ruined a cigar? Or is that just me?  
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually pair cigars with iced coffee, since that's pretty much all i drink.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody aware of programs for Rage-aholics?  Seething cauldrons of rage seeking to spew vitriolic hate and disdain out onto select groups that may disagree with them? 

These people need help, too.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody aware of programs for Rage-aholics?  Seething cauldrons of rage seeking to spew vitriolic hate and disdain out onto select groups that may disagree with them? 

Last I checked they had their own party to play around in.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:

Last I checked they had their own party to play around in.
    I think there are two parties to play in.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coffee and water are always good with a smoke. Congrats on your work and being in recovery @BadSneakers

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I make no secret that I rarely drink alcohol and why. 
    I do sometimes indulge in a bourbon with a cigar, but I am very careful to never have more than two small drinks in a night.
    Which works for me. 

But, as was said earlier, root beer and sararsparilla are great for pairing with Cameroon cigars 
    They are my favorite drink with cameroons.
    Otherwise, I have no problem drinking a cola, Pepsi being my preference.
    Water, coffee, even hot chocolate work with certain cigars. 

You have to find what works for you.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.