Home General Discussion

Help me fill up my small humidor

Fine137Fine137 Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
Im a relative newbie to cigars, having  smoked only a few varieties.  Specifically the Padron 90th anniversary, a Montecristo White Series, a Cohiba Siglio VI, Montecristo #2, a Padron 85th Family reserve and an Ashton VSG Eclipse.

i have a 120 cigar capacity in my humidor, currently stocked with 10 Siglio VI, 10 Padron 90th and 10 Montecristo #2 and 7 Padron 80th anniversary maduro, 5 Padron 80th anniversary natural and 5 Padron 85th Family reserve and 10 Montecristo White Series.  So room for about 60 more.

I got obsessed with collecting fine wine many years ago and kept adding additional storage as I purchased more wine.  I want to avoid that with cigars, knowing my tendencies, so I am putting a hard limit of that 1 humidor for cigars.

i don’t and won’t smoke often, perhaps 1 x week or two, but when I do I want it to be top notch.  I’m not in need of daily smokers.  I don’t mind the cost although cost isn’t necessarily an indicator of goodness.

in my limited experience, I have loved the Padron 90 natural, Siglio VI and Montecristo #2 and White Series.  I did not care for the Padron 85 or the Ashton VSG Eclipse.  Both these were too heavy for me.  I suspect I’m a middle of the road kind of guy, not too heavy, not too light.  I favor an easier draw over a hard one.  I like a 50+ gauge and <= 6” in length.  

Lastly since I won’t be getting to these on a frequent basis, they need th ability to age for a few years.

Would appreciate your thoughts on how I might round out my collection while filling up the humidor over time.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine says Davidoff is top notch.  
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Yeppers, start by Finding the year of the snake, good luck.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Fine137Fine137 Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
    Well, the year of the snake doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen, can’t find any but the year of the rat.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that ^ was a Patrick joke.  Here is a real exclusive for you.  I'll split a box with you, if you want...

https://youtu.be/OV5oUU5yL6Q
    Don't look ↑
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out Avo also, made by Davioff. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try an Ashton Symmetry. 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    La Flor Dominicana makes a good cigar.  BTW, you'll probably find the stronger cigars easier to smoke after you've been smoking for a couple of years.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. Go the the newbie trading thread and get a sponsor. I'll do it if you want. That why you can try different kinds and find more brands you might like. I like Opus X, to me it's one of the few that lives up to the hype. Davidoff is a great choice too.
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Try an Ashton Symmetry. 
    ...Ya hit the nail on the head @peter4jc.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    San Cristobal, Velvet Rat, Ratzilla, Hemingway, along with those mentioned above.  I'm quite fond of The Late Hour, too.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Fine137Fine137 Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.  I did pick up some of the Ashton Symmetry, some Padron 40th anniversary (I’m such toadie for Padron), some Davidoff small batch #1’s, Atabey Duendes and some Highclere Castle Victorians.

Love the idea of trading to add some variety.  I’m not that tech savvy and could not find the forum for newbie trading.  Could someone link me?