Home Cigar 101

Cigar suggestions

Spyk_Saturn12Spyk_Saturn12 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭
Hi guys. Very new to cigar smoking and have recently learned the finer points to where I am experiencing amazing flavors with some of the cigars I have experienced. Rocky Patel 15 year anniversary has been pure bliss for me. I have my first humidor coming in and would love to load it up with them. I tried a cheaper Rocky Patel today in hopes of finding something close as an every day smoke and was very disappointed in how bland it was in comparison. It was a Rocky Patel edge torpedo. I found it like the difference between a fine scotch and a natural light. I've recently found I have sever OCD and bipolar type 2 and taking the time out of my day to enjoy a cigar has really been helping, however, I can't help but hope there is a cheaper alternative to the 15th anniversary, even if it's a different brand, that would satisfy me and could save the others for more special occasions. I've looked on the internet for both people that share my opinion on the edge and for similar smokes to the 15th anniversary and have come up empty handed which has led me here, which I see could possibly be a great thing for me going further into this hobby since with the new medication drinking is out of the question. Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a good place to start. There's one for 2018 too.

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/900625/2019-ccom-forums-cigar-of-the-year-results#latest

I tried the edge, wasn't too my tastes.

#DZR
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't had a RP 15th so I have nothing to base any opinions on, and doubt many here have had them either.  It would still be a shot in the dark since the way individual palates register a cigar varies widely.  All you can do is try a ton of cigars, but you will find something else you like, hopefully many cigars you like as much or more.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Spyk_Saturn12Spyk_Saturn12 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭
    Hmm so it's more just about trying cigars than any of them being similar @peter4jc. I know I've tried a few others as well and was a big fan of the sun grown. I would describe it almost like drinking carbonated sweet tea 😆. Maybe there are some cheaper lines of sun grown. 

@Yakster I'll definitely look into those. I am absolutely loving this hobby. It's like Christmas day every time I try a new cigar.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Welcome to the forum @Spyk_Saturn12 I would suggest you indulge yourself and buy more Rocky Patel 15th anniversary. You should still explore new cigars but you can keep reminding yourself of what you're looking for. As a new smoker you may not be aware of discounts available on online cigar auction sites. cigarbid.com is one of them and there are others. These sites will fulfill your current love affair with the RP 15th anniversary. That way you can have plenty on hand as you also try other new cigars that you also like. I must warn you however, these auctions can become an addiction. And I am unsure if I am being insensitive to your OCD, and the possibility that cigar auctions would not be a good thing for you. I'm really not sure but, I'll give you the same advice as I give anyone else. On cigar auction sites, it is best to set yourself some goals and limits ahead of time and stick to your limits.  Here are two current auctions you might want to investigate. 
    https://www.cigarbid.com/a/rocky-patel-15th-anniversary-toro/3426741/
    https://www.cigarbid.com/a/rocky-patel-15th-anniversary-robusto/3426740/
    I also want to put things in perspective by saying that few cigar smokers smoke the same cigar regularly. If you took a poll of daily smokers here, nobody's smoking the same thing twice in a typical week.  
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
    @Bob_Luken all great stuff thanks. 

My OCD is kinda funny how it works. My bipolar makes me want to spend and my OCD makes me do and redo spreadsheets to make sure I can afford. Medicine recently fixes allot of that so we are good but I appreciate the concern. 

Glad to hear people don't usually smoke the same every day. I've been trying something different most days myself since I started so neat to hear I fit the mold 😆

Thanks for the advice on the auction. I was kinda looking to make the 15th a once or twice a week deal and keep exploring. Super appreciate the welcome atmosphere here already. 
    edited January 2020
    @Spyk_Saturn12
    When your humidor arrives you will need to "season" it. Don't use the wipe down method. Use boveda seasoning packs or another osmosis method and boveda packs for maintenance. Also it would be a good idea to learn about cigar storage alternatives, Tupperdors. These are low maintenance, convenient alternatives to traditional wood humidors. Because traditional wood humidors are often hard to regulate relative humidity. They can be very frustrating, sometimes constant frustration.  Plastic storage is so much easier. And you can use both methods at the same time. Lot's of guys have wood humidors and plastic storage as well. 
    Welcome to the forum, @Spyk_Saturn12

Where do you normally smoke, @Spyk_Saturn12?
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, @Spyk_Saturn12.  There are so many different blends out there that you may end up always trying new cigars for the rest of your life, not that that's a bad thing.  A couple suggestions; try a lot of samplers.  Make note of which wrappers, binders and fillers you are enjoying.  This will help steer you to similar cigars. 

Keep in mind, if it's good it won't be super cheap.  If you're looking for a great smoking experience, you're not going to find it in a $30 bundle.  I wasted a lot of time and money trying to find a good, cheap everyday smoke.  In the end I enjoyed the smoking less.  

Also, don't buy large quantities of any cigar until you figure out what you like and what you don't.  Nothing's worse than sitting on a bunch of cigars you'd rather not smoke.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like that habano wrapper, I would definitely give the LA galera habano a try. you can probably get them for three or four bucks a stick on the auction sites.

those guys are right, you won't find a lot of Rocky Patel fans on this site. I'm a rocky fan though, and I'm starting this forums official Rocky Patel fan club. Interested?  :D

As for the humidor situation, you'll find that most guys on here use plastic. I'm not one of them. I have three wooden humidors and I love them. I love opening the door or lid on a humidor and getting that rich cedar smell. Problem is that there are absolutely no shortcuts. You have to season that damn thing for 2 weeks. Open the box halfway through to check the humidity? Start over. In the meantime, store your cigars in some gallon ziplocs or some tupperware's with boveda packs. 

Yes, you will need to apply a lot of elbow grease to keep it in optimum condition. However, if your humidity is in the 60s, it's fine. There are a ton of humidor threads on this forum. Read some. There's a lot to learn there.

Enjoy your smokes and enjoy the hobby! Hopefully you will stick around and get to know some of these knuckleheads!
    Don't look ↑
    Wow I am overwhelmed and gracious for all the feedback so far. I am in it for the first experience. @VegasFrank yeah that whole experience with the humidor and the smell and look. I'm a musician so the art of it all just really inspires me. I'm wondering what the flavor is that I like so much about the 15th so I know what to look for. I don't really know how to distinguish it yet. I'm trying a 1992 Patel tonight and it's good but not as much of a flavor punch as the 15th. The 15th almost starts like a wiskie and turns into a flavorful dark craft beer taste to me and I'm overly fascinated with it. 

@ShawnOL I'll give your recommendations a try. I'm not brand loyal but besides the Drew estates Java this is all I've tried and my OCD makes me fear not having a similar experience and waiting a day of smoke on something I don't like. Shouldn't be an issue but damn does it flare my anxiety. 

Thanks again guys for all your kindness. I hope to be here for a while!
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have an Igloo cooler filled with Rocky Patels and a full shelf in the Whynter lined with Decades and Vintage 1990 torpedo seconds, as well as several acrylic jars with Broadleafs, Edge maduro, and Sun Grown. Probably about 1,000 RP cigars in all I'd say.
    And that's the smallest part of my collection.
    I can recommend anything by Viaje, Tatuaje, Arturo Fuente, My Father, and Dunbarton (Steve Saka). A great budget cigar that is well made is the Henry Clay Limited Edition.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I

• Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy smokes!! 1000 RP's. Are getting ready for a herf with Frank? I've smoked quite a few in my day. Dont remember not like a single one.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cameroon FTW!

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy smokes!! 1000 RP's. Are getting ready for a herf with Frank? I've smoked quite a few in my day. Dont remember not like a single one.
    I have combined these two coolers into one just to keep all the Rocky's together and they nearly fit inside one cooler. LOL

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    Hey!  I see some refugee Aging Rooms in there, hiding from what I do not know.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BKDog said:

That is a cooler of excellence right there.  You've just earned your way into the official RP fan club as a founding member.  Well played!
    Don't look ↑
    So I tried out that auction and just won that 5 pack for 18.50! That's under 4 bucks a stick and around here they go for pretty close to 12 a stick! Anything I should know about buying them through auction that would be different from buying them from a local humidor room?
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beware the troglodytes in the postal service   They excell at destroying or losing things.  Keep an eye in your order tracking and if it shows up all beat up, take pics before you open it.
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Yakster said:
    1. You may pay shipping, but can consolidate purchases on auction sites.
    2. You should let the cigars sit two weeks to a month in storage to recover from the journey, unlike a local store where they'll be ready to smoke.
    3. Check other sources to avoid paying above retail.
    ^^^What he said.
    To add.....
    Set the price you want to pay and if it goes above it, walk away.
    Too many dumba$$es will actually go to retail, because they get in a bidder frenzy and won't be outbid. Those are morons. Don't be a moron.

Highly addictive.  You either need strong willpower or a large cooler.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

6 bucks for shipping. 20 was my cap for the bid. Still way lower than retail for sure. I just set a cap bid and walk away from that jazz. If it's meant to be I'll get it no higher than my cap. If not I got a few local humidor rooms to buy from until I get lucky 🤣
    Where do you normally smoke, @Spyk_Saturn12?

@peter4jc still kinda new but I've been loving the Javas, the sun grown reserve rps and any of the dated rps. The Javas I don't like as much but they are a nice change up every once in a while. Nothing has beat that 15th experience though. Having a 20th right now. 
    edited January 2020
    peter4jc said:
    WHERE do you normally smoke, @Spyk_Saturn12?

Yes, Where (location) do you smoke? We like to talk about all the components related to smoking cigars, purchases and shipping, storage, lot's of discussions about storage, and where we smoke, because all that stuff affects our taste experience of each cigar. I'm not exactly sure why @peter4jc is asking but he's probably got some excellent advice.  
    Yakster said:
    1. You may pay shipping, but can consolidate purchases on auction sites.

Check your settings on your account and bid often but only within your consolidation period and all winnings will ship together at same price as only one winning bid would have cost. Better to win three bids in a week and ship all for $6 than to win three bids separately shipping for $18 total. 

I was thinking back to when I was a noob and it took a while for it to dawn on my that buying sticks online and smoking them at a lounge was bad form.  I was hoping to perhaps spare @Spyk_Saturn12 the pain of learning the hard way that taking his new RP's to a lounge is poor etiquette.