Home Cigar 101

Can I use a travel case humidor long term?

seym56seym56 Posts: 4
I am a truck driver and I am on the road for months at a time. I was looking at the travel cases and wondering if they would keep my cigars fresh long term if I kept proper Humidification in it. or should I just go with a standard humidor? I'd like to have a latch on the case as the case could be bumped around on a moving semi.

Best Answers

• seym56seym56 Posts: 4
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for all the advice. I'll try some of this on the cigars I have now before I order the 'herf-a-dor. I never would've thought of the cooler. That's something I can get at a truck stop.

Answers

• NineToesNineToes Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I purchased a 40 cigar sampler and a herfador about two months ago. It's been doing the job of keeping my sticks nice. I am going to buy a cooler(ice chest) to store more sticks in as I grow my collection. I  live in west texas(very dry) so which boveda pack would be the best? Sorry if it is frowned on to ask a question in another members thread.  
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NineToes said:

Sorry if it is frowned on to ask a question in another members thread.  
    It is not frowned upon. 

Your rH is largely a matter of personal taste, and relativity.  I've noticed through the years that those who live in very dry areas tend to prefer the lower percentages.  I think that this is probably because you don't want a huge shift between your storage and smoking environs.  If you run into problems, you may try letting your cigar sit out in the environment in which it will be smoked for 30 minutes or so before lighting.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65 or 69% 

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

NineToes said:

Sorry if it is frowned on to ask a question in another members thread.  
    It is not frowned upon. 

Your rH is largely a matter of personal taste, and relativity.  I've noticed through the years that those who live in very dry areas tend to prefer the lower percentages.  I think that this is probably because you don't want a huge shift between your storage and smoking environs.  If you run into problems, you may try letting your cigar sit out in the environment in which it will be smoked for 30 minutes or so before lighting.  
    Thanks for the knowledge.  As of yet I haven't had any problems but come to think about it I usually have my cigar out of the humidor for about 20 minutes or so before i light up. Thanks again. Really digging this forum. Glad i found it. 

ShawnOL said:
    65 or 69% 
    Thanks Shawn.