Home Non Cigar Related

Iran tensions

MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
Nothing political please, but what do you think the next action is either for the US or Iran after these missle strikes?

Comments

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Death from above

All quiet in the desert currently.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many variables.
    A reasonable move would be to make it rain hellfire.
    But I suspect that there will be some posturing.
    Things will get moved around to strategic points and they will probably wait for another strike. 
    Then, I would assume all bets are off and it will be hellfire monsoon season.

Or nothing.

I really hope they don't just sit on their hands and do nothing.
    That's a wrong mentality, but this thing with the middle east is getting really old. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The problem, Amos, is that your campaign donor cannot make money selling tanks if you don't have demons to shoot. He gets you in power, you take care of him. That, right there, is your win-win proposition.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost said:
    The problem, Amos, is that your campaign donor cannot make money selling tanks if you don't have demons to shoot. He gets you in power, you take care of him. That, right there, is your win-win proposition.
    Too true, and probably the reason we keep abandoning our equipment all over the place, but it's only a win for the campaigner and the donor.  99.999999999999% of the rest of us are still losing sons, fathers, mothers, daughters, brothers, sisters, friends, a future. 

We're all still losing.    

We're losing the future as these monsters set the world ablaze for power, profit and entertainment.  

I'm about tired of it.

We were all good and tired of it 50 years ago. We hit the streets & hollered. Made Antifa look like your grand-daughter's tea party. Thousands of draft offices, federal buildings, establishment lairs of The Man got bombed each year. People actually did move to Canada, instead of just talking about it. The whole world was watching. Peace stickers on every bumper.

What all came of it, Amos?
    We've been at war ever since.

I still see "Think Peace" bumper snickers from time to time. About as useless as "Just say no". Human nature includes a war drive just as ingrained as its sex drive.

Give Tulsi a chance. See what she can do.

This morning I see a news snippet says Pelosi wants the house to pass a resolution that would limit Trump's ability to wage war with Iran. Doesn't the Constitution which Dems detest do just that? Where've they been since FDR?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that groups behave differently from individuals, war drive being a primary difference. It takes massive social pressure, emotional distress, and propaganda to motivate individuals to put their lives on the line for the state.
    Interesting that groups behave differently from individuals, war drive being a primary difference. It takes massive social pressure, emotional distress, and propaganda to motivate individuals to put their lives on the line for the state.

No it doesn't. Any slim casus belli will do. Always has before.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    webmost said:

We were all good and tired of it 50 years ago. We hit the streets & hollered. Made Antifa look like your grand-daughter's tea party. Thousands of draft offices, federal buildings, establishment lairs of The Man got bombed each year. People actually did move to Canada, instead of just talking about it. The whole world was watching. Peace stickers on every bumper.

What all came of it, Amos?
    We've been at war ever since.

I guess I'm still at it. 

Ike was still the Prez when I was born, so you've described the world I was brought up in.  One thing that seemed to change, the generation coming up behind me was taught differently in school.  Those of our generation were always taught to question authority, to think about what we were told by those in power. 

Thus, a whole generation decided that they didn't want to die in Southeast Asia to uphold a corrupt dictatorship and enhance profit margins for American tire companies.  For us, civil rights meant leveling the playing field for all members of the human race.

The following generation was taught to obey authority, and to never question those in power.  And here we are.  Most Americans seem to have forgotten that we're still in Afghanistan, etc., and Civil Rights means special privilege for tiny fractal groups who are unhappy about their birth gender, etc.  Or millionaire privileged sports figures protesting mistreatment that they've never experienced, or seen in their lifetimes.

BTW, I'm glad you mentioned Tulsi Gabbard, or I might have never heard of her.  What little I've seen, I've liked.  I appreciated her abstention from voting during the shampeachment hearings in the House.  She thinks!  How odd.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    I was partial to "Christians Glad They Voted For Republicans So Planned Parenthood Abortions, Funding Could Hit All-Time High."

I don't get single-issue voters.  They are then forced to bow to whoever pays lipservice to their cause, but who isn't motivated to do anything about it because it keeps their allegiance.

Anyway, that's OT.

Back to war, gents (and ladies).
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.