Home Non Cigar Related

Drinks for mild cigars

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
I'm looking to get into pairing scotch with cigars; any have any recommendations for mild cigars? Do I want a weaker scotch, or something stronger? How to tell the difference between the two, other than experience?

Other than scotch, what drinks go well with your typical mild cigar?

Comments

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it matters. I personally like a strong cigar with a scotch. It tends to sweeten the scotch a little bit. I like Glenfidich and Glenlivet for basic scotch. There is a local scotch from a beer brewer that is called MacTarnahan's and it's awesome with a mild cigar.

as far as other drinks, I personally believe that the color of the stick and the color of the drink should be the same. sprite, water, yellow beers work well with mild sticks. maduros pair well with coffee, chocolate, and dark beer. amber ales and habanos are great
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    dennisking:
    I don't think it matters. I personally like a strong cigar with a scotch. It tends to sweeten the scotch a little bit. I like Glenfidich and Glenlivet for basic scotch. There is a local scotch from a beer brewer that is called MacTarnahan's and it's awesome with a mild cigar.

as far as other drinks, I personally believe that the color of the stick and the color of the drink should be the same. sprite, water, yellow beers work well with mild sticks. maduros pair well with coffee, chocolate, and dark beer. amber ales and habanos are great

I agree with you there dennis I think a good way to pair a drink with a cigar is by the color of the stick and the drink. Another good coffee cigar is the ccom cameroon label, very nice and sweet that goes well with the bitter bite of the coffee. I love pairing drinks with cigars and am a scotch enthusiast myself! That local scotch sounds delish!
  • illinoisgolf99:
    That sounds delish!
    Are you secretly a sixteen year old girl? ;) just playin man
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    woah woah woah hey now, I know you're playing but dang dude hahaha
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    It's not scotch, but Bernheim's Wheat Whiskey is a good match for mild cigars. It's very light, with a short, dry aftertaste.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've been partial to coffee with my milder cigars...usually this comes from the Connecticut wrapper giving off that creamy smoke, I think the taste pair perfectly...I especially like the Perdomo ESV with coffee, those were meant to be together as far as I'm concerned. I've never been a fan of pairing alcohol with cigars, I've tried it a couple times and the best result was a Perdomo ^2 habano with some Bushmills Black Bush, they did complement each other.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    dennisking:

Never thought of it that way. I'm gonna have to take your theory for a test drive.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    j0z3r:
    I've been partial to coffee with my milder cigars...usually this comes from the Connecticut wrapper giving off that creamy smoke, I think the taste pair perfectly...I especially like the Perdomo ESV with coffee, those were meant to be together as far as I'm concerned. I've never been a fan of pairing alcohol with cigars, I've tried it a couple times and the best result was a Perdomo ^2 habano with some Bushmills Black Bush, they did complement each other.
    You definitely called the ESV/coffee combo right, j0z3r. That's a must-try, as fas I'm concerned.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I would either water down the scotch or have it over ice with a mild cigar. Keep away from peaty scotches, stick with the Glens (fiddich, roth, livit).

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I think scotch for the most part will over power any mild smoke.

"Long ashes my friends."