Home Cigar 101

Another, probably stupid, humidor question

Fine137Fine137 Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
My wife bought be a nice 75 cigar humidor for Christmas.  It’s a diamond crown st. James.  The craftsmanship is excellent, very tight seal.  The instructions for seasoning were to wipe interior surfaces with distilled water and close for 2 hours, repeat.  Then fill the humidifier unit with distilled water place it in humidor wait 12 hours, repeat.  Wait for humidity to be in the 60-70% range.

i replaced the cheap digital humidity sensors with a good one.  Humidor has been rock solid at 64-67%, for the last couple weeks.  No issues at all.

But I see many threads in here suggesting I throw away the humidifier and use Boveda packs.  Is there a reason to do this if it’s working well?  And if so, how many packs for 75 cigars?

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Foam humidifiers are a breeding ground for mold and boveda packs are two way systems so they can absorb extra humidity also.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing is, the instructions never include anything about your location, your conditions, the time of year, etc.  I don't recall if you mentioned anywhere, where you live.  But if it's a dry winter by you like it is with me, the humidifier (apart from the mold thing - "Hey, it's not mold, it's plume!" - may be apparently doing a fine job now, but give it a few months and it'll still be doing the same job it's doing now which may be the wrong job for a humid springtime.  Bovedas are 2-way doohickies, in that that they can dispense moisture when the room is too dry and they can absorb moisture when the room is too humid.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also go with one of those PG solution bead type humidifiers, which is what I use in mine. I also throw all of my extra boveda packs in the bottom of the humidor as well. Keeps in a rock solid 65.
    Don't look ↑
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I should caveat that by saying I live in a climate that is extremely dry. RH today is 25% outside a little less inside with the heat on.
    Don't look ↑
  • Fine137Fine137 Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
    I get it now.  Will go the Boveda route.  I live in Atlanta, dryish in the fall, winter and early spring.  Humid in the summer, of course we run the AC so pretty sure the ambient humidity never exceeds 50 or so.