Home Cigar 101

Humidor holding humidity but possibly not seasoned

Spyk_Saturn12Spyk_Saturn12 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭
So I live in Florida. Bought a humidor. Bought a humidity device. Left it in for 8 hours as suggested. Not sure if it was seasoned properly because the humidity always stayed relatively at 70. Recently cranked that sucker down to 65 and the humidity never drops lower than 68 unless I open it. Wondering if even though it's maintaining that, if it wasn't properly seasoned, if that would effect my cigars. Theory is that it may pull the oils if it wasn't properly seasoned even with a good relative humidity or if where it was placed in the box could give a false reading but haven't been able to find much online. Trying to figure out if my pallet was screwed up tonight from eating some whole grain jalapeno corn chips or if the cigars might be pulling oil out of the cigars. Also wondering if a robusto might have a different flavor than a Churchill of the same kind. Tried my Rocky Patel 15th I won from an auction and they seemed slightly less flavorful than the Churchill of the same kind from a local humidor room. 

Comments

• Spyk_Saturn12Spyk_Saturn12 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭
    Well I may have found part of my answer finally. Basically it stated if it's properly seasoned it will hold humidity. If it's not it won't. So my guess here is it is properly humidified. It's holding pretty constant between 67 and 72. Cigars feel pretty perfect not brittle and not squishy. So I can only come to two possibilities. Screwed my pallet with those chips or size changes intensity of flavor with larger cigars having more and smaller having less unless there is some other variable I do not know about. Temp seems to run between 69 and 73. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I may have found part of my answer:   
    1. Screwed my pallet with those chips...
    2. size changes intensity of flavor...
    3. there is some other variable... Temp seems to run between 69 and 73. 
    There, you've answered your own question.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Haha thanks. Sorry my OCD took control last night. Appreciate the confirmation.
    Pallet much better today after trying a cigar that has sit in my humidor longer. Can confirm. Sorry for the silly question. My first humidor. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starting cup number 3 out of 4...   

Time for a Rocket-Man GIF, @Bob_Luken

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Followed the video @peter4jc posted of a method of brewing with a french press. Great tasting, strong, no residue in the bottom of the cup.   

Excellent, thank you.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

@peter4jc no worries. Auto correct hits and sometimes I don't check it close enough.