Home Ratings & Reviews

CAO Black

First let me preface by saying that I am somewhat of a noob to the appreciation of cigars.  I have smoked many cigars over the years but only for the past year have I really been in search of what I truly appreciate.  So take this at face value.

I have a pretty decent palate when it comes to wine/beer/scotch (my beverages of choice) tasting.  But I have had a difficult time pulling distinct flavours from the cigars I have been smoking.  There are quite a few cigars I enjoy; Macanudo Maduro, Hoyo de Monterey Maduro, Gurkha Titan, Cigar.com Blue Label to name a few.  While I've enjoyed these for the "body" of the smoke I haven't been able to put a finger on what precise flavours I enjoyed most from these.

I recently purchased some CAO Blacks and I have to say that these are my new favourite.  My first impression was with the wrapper.  Oily, consistent, waxy.  At first the waxy wrapper threw me off but after smoking the whole thing down I found that this was truly a positive attribute.  The wrapper was never soggy or saturated.  It lit well, it burned well.  In fact, the ash was bone white, tightly wrapped, and never broke away until I decided it was time to do so. 

The thing that impressed me the most was the flavour and it's ability to pair.  The first one I lit, I smoked along side a North Coast Brewing Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.  It tied in with the bitter specialty malts perfectly and I was able to pick up heavy cocoa and chocolate flavours about 2/3rds in.

Tonight I smoked another, but this time paired with a Glenlivet Nadurra 16 year.  At first I wasn't sure that these would go.  I find that much of the time the smoke of a cigar will overpower a good scotch muting much of the character.  While these didn't  completely mate on the frontend, they really brought out the best in each other on the finish.  Flavours I hadn't found in either on their own were brought forward with a punch; again, cocoa and a lingering graham cracker, wheaty mouth between each puff. 

Really consistent overall from build to smoke.  I really can't wait to see how this new favourite pairs with a nice red wine.

If you guys/girls have any suggestions for cigars that pair really well with beer or wine, I would love to hear about it.

Cheers!

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i too enjoy the CAO black. I think i have one from early in o7 in my aging humidor. A friend of mine that had to move to colorado has another one just like it. when they moves back well smoke a pair of well aged CAO blacks.

on a side note...
    you mentioned that "the ash was bone white," among other things. the other atributes were more fitting to describe the quality of the cigar. the tenatiousness of the ash was the best indicator. this means that it was a good roll. the color of the ash tells us very little about the quality of the tobacco or the consistency of the roll. the color tells us what minerals were in the ground where the tobacco flants were grown. some of the very best cigars i have had left ash that was a dark grey.
    one of these days im gunna try and figure out what color ash is from what kinds of minerals. I have a feeling that will be a hard thing to learn
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    That it I was looking into buying some today and this clenchs it, good reviews deserve and try.....thanks guys
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I have several Blacks resting in the humi, haven't tried them yet. I have, however, enjoyed a number of the Black VR's, which have become one of my favorites.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    I have several Blacks resting in the humi, haven't tried them yet. I have, however, enjoyed a number of the Black VR's, which have become one of my favorites.
    I have a black in my humi as well. I have yet to try them but I have had the Black VR and enjoyed it very much. I highly recommend it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hey, Ron's back! How did everything go with your move?
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Hey, Ron's back! How did everything go with your move?
    It went, thanks for asking though. Moving is always a pain in the tail end. I'm still unpacking after a week. Hopefully I can finish that up soon but I'm actually almost to a point where I can just take my time with the rest. I just hate having all the boxes in storage. I have way too much stuff and need to get rid of some of it. LOL
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Regardless, welcome back. You were missed.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Another nod for the black. I love the chocolate, wish it was a little stronger though.. I haven't had the VR yet, but I'll have to give it a try.
    yeah.. i liked the VR also.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I just smoked a Black Bengal... didn't like it too much

A little too much like getting hit in the head with a brick.

On the plus side...now I have a couple more traders
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    laker1963:

Heh.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    laker1963:

On the plus side...now I have a couple more traders

I guess I should elaborate. I found this cigar just too full bodied for me. It burned well, but I found the whole experience just way over the top. I guess I like my cigars a little more subtle.

I sacrificed a Titan Toro from a 5 pack this afternoon. While the cigar was a little larger gauge then is my prefference, It was definately more to my "tastes" . I don't talk a lot about flavors and such... more about the way the cigar affects me, and I just found the CAO Black Bengal too "in your face". But I am sure plenty of people LOVE it!
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    The CAO Black was one of my top 3 when I started about 5 yrs ago. I'm not good at describing the flavor profile but the ones I've smoked over the past year just don't seem to be the same. In fact, I have none at this time. I know my likes/dislikes sometines change but I just no longer care for it. I would like to hear some of your thoughts on the CAO Black, especially from those that posted to this thread over 2 years ago. Thanks
    way to necropost.

i havent had one in a while either. i may have to. but my B&M stopped selling CAO once they got bought out. it may be a while.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Old Rasputin is delicious.
    Light 'em up.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I could never get into this stick. I kept trying it and it just never did it for me.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Still one of the best connies on the market especially for the price. 
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resurrection!

Just figured I'd mention something I noticed with the couple of blacks I had.  Didn't like the first one.  I figured it might have to do with the cedar sleeve.  I removed the sleeve from the second one and put it back in the humi for two months.  Smoked it and found the annoying taste was gone.  I noticed it also with a Fuente cigar that looked like a CT wrapper.  I don't seem to care for Connie's sleeved with cedar.  Dark wrappers it doesn't bother me, just the Connie's.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The CAO Black Mosaic (Corona) is on the Daily Deal today.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet!

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, today I got an email from a Dan Osmun - think it may be Andrew's replacement at HQ - offering CAO Brazilia Gol, 5.0 x 56, 10 for $50 shipped.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis