Home Ratings & Reviews

Man O' War Limited Edition Salomon

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
I recently received some Man O' War Limited Edition Salomons from nightmaremike and found a chance last night to sit down and take one for a test drive. I used only water to cleanse my pallet. This is a cigar that I've eye-balled for quite some time online and I'm quite thankful to Mike for offering me this opportunity to experience them. I was blown away by my findings.

The cigar was perfectly constructed as to be expected from a product of AJ Fernandez. The wrapper glistened with lush oils and appeared seamless with zero imperfections. The pre-light aroma was earthy with that "barnyard" smell that screams "flavorful." I cut the cap where I would normally cut a torpedo and immediately noticed a very loose draw. I'd recommend cutting this cigar a little shorter than normal as the tobaccos are not rolled as tight as many other cigars. As with any figurado cigar, the light is hit or miss. I did have to even out the burn off the start but it burnt even throughout the rest of the session.

The cigar started with strong flavors of cream, butter, and toast. These flavors were delicious and while the cigar progressed to other flavors, these three flavors remained throughout. It evolved quickly into an immensely sweet delight. Flavors of plum and banana nut bread were easily noticeable and absolutely mouth watering.

I moved into the second third and the ash fell off at around 2 inches while the cigar transformed into a complex tongue tingler: sweet, buttery, creamy. Fresh almonds filled the majority of this part of the cigar.

The final third finished in traditional fashion. Spice and pepper filled the palate and are continuously smoothed over with sweet cream. The full body makes itself known and I feel painted to my seat. The last smokeable inch is pure heaven with all of the flavors mingling together.

I would rate this as the best cigar I have ever experienced. Many of you know that I've had problems discerning flavors in the past so this statement may be a disservice to cigars I have smoke previously with this skill not fully developed. I would recommend this cigar to everyone and anyone. It will certainly always have a place in my humidor!

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Damn, another AJ Stick, and this one is a combo of two of his best works... I feel another urge to box splurge.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I bought a box a few months ago and have smoked 3 so far. I'd have to agree with your assessment, they are special.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I have rarely been convinced to buy a stick from a single review but I think you just did that.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Goldy:
    I have rarely been convinced to buy a stick from a single review but I think you just did that.
    Then let two convince you...this is an awesome cigar, the best Man o War in my opinion. Now stop dawdling and buy some. :)
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    as soon as the paypal gets filled up again, i am going to talk to tim about some of these
  • i bought one a week ago, and its resting right now, but im excited to try it.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Is this more like the ruination?
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Goldy:
    Seriously. What a tasty review. I was drooling by the end!
    Anyone have any of these in extra numbers enough to trade one or two?
  • taddowtaddow Posts: 51
    I totally agree!! What a great cigar to enjoy.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I am a big fan of the MOW blends, I need to get one of these.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    suspect, I'll have you know that I just called in an order on these from your review. Really looking forward to trying one of these out. Great review.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Based on all the good feedback and the fact that I love AJ's stuff in general, I'm gonna buy a box as soon as I can afford it!
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I picked up a box of these yesterday. This is the only time I've ever bought a box of something without trying it first, but based on how much I like the MoW and the Ruination as well as all the good feedback I'm not too worried. I'm pretty excited actually.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Hey Pheebs, you should buy a box of these. Then I can trade you for half of them. What do you think, you still looking for a fiver of Primeros ? LMAO
    lol, hey furball, check your mail. btw I am wondering if these are better than a ruination? I just can't get into the MOW, but I have enjoyed the ruination after some down time, though the smoke is very, very full... lol.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    phobicsquirrel:
    lol, hey furball, check your mail. btw I am wondering if these are better than a ruination? I just can't get into the MOW, but I have enjoyed the ruination after some down time, though the smoke is very, very full... lol.
    My first MoW wasn't all that impressive - but the second was incredible after 6 months of rest. Man i love the ruination, though. I got to try this blend of the two.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I haven't read anything new from you today. If you are referring to the last one yesterday?... I not answering until you tell me about my offer here? Do you want the Primeros or not? LMAO

But I am getting dangerously low on Ruinations. I also just received some Dominus in an order today as a freebie. I can send one your way with the next package if you want. They are tasty, and I'm guessing after a couple of months or more they would qualify as great.

I can see a rather large multi box split comming up huh?
    I've been wanting to try the dom. Well I might be inclined into doing a box split of the MOW ruinations. Those or the partagas 98's.
    TatuajeVI:
    phobicsquirrel:
    My first MoW wasn't all that impressive - but the second was incredible after 6 months of rest. Man i love the ruination, though. I got to try this blend of the two.
    I'm with ya!