Home Cigar 101

Noob getting into cigars

As the subject says, I am a total noob when it comes to cigars. I had a CAO Black torpedo and a couple others, but now I want to branch out and try multiple types. The plan is to pick up the Scorched Earth II Sampler from this site and a 100-count humidor; however, I have no clue as to what to do after that point. Can someone point me in the direction of good instructions on preparing the humidor, keeping the cigars "healthy", etc.? I'm worried about stumbling across instructions that are inaccurate and ruining a batch of cigars.

Your help is much appreciated,
Mark

PS. I apologize if this is a frequently asked question, but I am literally clueless in this area and look forward to becoming much more informed. Thanks again!

Comments

• Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    Welcome. There are no bad questions. I think the humidor question can be answered with a quick look in the Cigar 101 section try a search for humidor seasoning as a start. Most of the threads and information on this site is top notch and won't lead you down the wrong path. Definatly give one of the guys at Cigar.com a call and Im sure they will hook you up with what you need. The scorched Earth sampler, to me would be a great start, although a leap of faith, a good one! There is a lot of 5 packs in there, you may want to look for some samplers with 1's and 2's to get a bead on what you like first. Have fun and enjoy!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Good idea with a large sampler and a good sized humidor. For your humidor, most guys will recommend picking up some "humidity beads" and a digital hygrometer. In my humble opinion, these are almost as necessary as a humidor. Analog hygrometers are nothing but trouble, and foam or gel just sucks for controlling humidity. Heartfelt Industries are a great brand for beads, but after hearing a bunch of guys recommend these here: Link I purchased a pound of them and love them.

Seasoning a humidor is easy - just don't rush it. Leave a shallow bowl of distilled water in your humidor for 4-7 days. You could put your beads in there as well, just make sure they are charged up with distilled water completely. The wood will start to absorb the humidity. Some recommend wiping the inside of your humidor first with a slightly damp sponge before hand - I'd rather not.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Its pretty easy, Hang around these forums and read read read. If something doesnt make sense or you dont understand, ask some questions! Everyon here is really helpful. That is until you start talking politics in the Non Cigar Related then watch out! Enjoy and welcome to the forums.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    TatuajeVI already nailed it on the humidor; only thing I'd add is emphasis that you make sure you only use distilled water with those beads - tap water ruins them; and search around the forums for "salt test", that's how you calibrate your hygrometer (they're never accurate out of the box, so make sure you get one that's adjustable). Also, when you get your cigars adn after your humidor is properly seasoned, it's a good idea to let the cigars sit in your humidor for about a week, since shipping through different climates can change them drastically, and this week of rest helps them taste better.

• The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Just my two cents as I always state I hate the salt test I always use the Boveda calibration kit to calibrate my hygrometer. Also TatuajeVI is right I have over a pound of beads from that site and they work GREAT ! You won't find them any cheaper. Other than that take you time with the seasoning and use distilled water. Also if you are going to start out with a large sampler like that you may want to look into a bigger humidor because you are already on your way to the addicting past time of fine quality cigars ! :-)
  • Thanks for all the advice. I imagine I'll be spending a lot of time going through the forums for a while. I went ahead and made some purchases. In addition to the sampler, I've ordered a 300ct humidor because well... I can see myself needing that in the future :) I also ordered the beads mentioned, a digital hygrometer, and a triple-torch lighter. I have a cheap cutter already, but are the more expensive ones really any better? And is there anything else I'm missing to get me started?

I've always wanted a hobby, and I believe I have now found one. Very excited.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Sounds like you're ahead of the game so far :) The expensive cutters aren't better, but they last longer (eg - good cutter keeps its blades sharp longer than a cheapo, but a new cheapo cuts just as good) and there's a few differences between them, but only up to a certain point. An example - Xikar cutters range from $30-$80, but the $80 has the same blade and warranty as the $30 one (lifetime, with free replacement and blade sharpening), with the only difference being what kind of handles you like (yes, the only difference between the $30 xikar and the $80 is the handles).
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, this is a great group. I want to second what Tat says. I use the same beads and they hold the RH very well and are a lot cheaper and include the mesh bags for free.

The ccom samplers are the way to go until you find something you want to buy a full box of. Also, don't start too small with the humidor. If you do, like I did, you will quickly find yourself with a second and third and...
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Xikar cutters range from $30-$80, but the $80 has the same blade and warranty as the $30 one (lifetime, with free replacement and blade sharpening), with the only difference being what kind of handles you like (yes, the only difference between the $30 xikar and the $80 is the handles).
    Wow! I didn't know that. Thanks X...
  • leonardleonard Posts: 359
    I think the Xi2 has a plastic body and the Xi and Xi3 have steel frames.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    jmarkh:
    Thanks for all the advice. I imagine I'll be spending a lot of time going through the forums for a while. I went ahead and made some purchases. In addition to the sampler, I've ordered a 300ct humidor because well... I can see myself needing that in the future :) I also ordered the beads mentioned, a digital hygrometer, and a triple-torch lighter. I have a cheap cutter already, but are the more expensive ones really any better? And is there anything else I'm missing to get me started?

I've always wanted a hobby, and I believe I have now found one. Very excited.

300 ct is a really good idea. You would be upgrading real quick.