Home Non Cigar Related

Tax question

ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
I never notified the infernal revenue service that my wife died.  Do I have to use a special form this year or just a standard 1040 and attach the death cert? 

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

Comments

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry for your loss sir.  So many firsts you will have to experience since her passing.  And this time, not in a good way.

I use Turbo Tax and when my wife passed I just filed the return as normal.  The program does ask if either of you passed away before filing the return, so then you would answer yes, and it will prompt more details to be entered like the date of passing, etc.  I just e-filed it so I didn't get a look at what tax document it created, but I am sure it did create a tax form that went along with my 1040.  Using turbo tax made it real easy.  I did not have to send in the death certificate.  

This goes back to 2008 so my information could be dated and no longer correct.  
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for this info.  It comes as a relief that it should be that easy.  Dawn did our taxes for the last twenty years so I'm a bit rusty. I didn't realize how much she took care of me until I once again have to do everything myself.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a fellow widower (if we want to use that expression, I don't know) you have my experience-taught condolences.  How long ago did Dawn pass away?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I think I turned in the death certificate with the 1040 when my wife  Alice died a couple years ago.  I say "I think", because I kind of kept my brain bathed in Scotch for quite awhile.  I know I had copies that I sent to half the known world, it seemed like, and the majority of those didn't seem to get the message, if my incoming mail is any indication.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    edited January 2020
    Late last February.  Liver cancer.  It was quick, so she didn't suffer long, at least there's that.  I don't know how I feel about calling myself a widower.  I never in my worst dreams thought I would outlive a spouse.  I keep myself busy with work, chores and cigars.  Life could be worse.

Thank you both for the condolences.  The same to you.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, busy is good.  It will be 2 years in March.  I'm just now starting to feel halfway comfortable in my own house, and have days that I feel like myself, sort of.  I've done a lot of things that we'd planned to do together, with my girlfriend, who knows  because she lost her husband to multiple cancers a few years back.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Condolences on your wife and congrats on finding someone to spend time with.  Being alone sucks.  Right now I'm concentrating on making sure I accomplish all the things she wanted to get done regarding the kids.  Fulfilling her wishes, you could say.

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShawnOL said:
    Thank you very much for this info.  It comes as a relief that it should be that easy.  Dawn did our taxes for the last twenty years so I'm a bit rusty. I didn't realize how much she took care of me until I once again have to do everything myself.
    You're welcome.  I had to learn to do a lot of things when she passed.  Had two young boys to raise as a widower.  The worst thing to learn back then, was how to cook.  Now I love to cook.  LOL.  Guess old dogs can learn new tricks, especially if they want to eat...

I would definitely recommend using turbo tax.  You can have it literally "interview" you for the taxes, and it creates all the proper forms based on your answers.  It could be called "Taxes for Dummies".  Takes away all the complications and makes taxes quite easy to do.
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShawnOL said:
    Condolences on your wife and congrats on finding someone to spend time with.  Being alone sucks.  Right now I'm concentrating on making sure I accomplish all the things she wanted to get done regarding the kids.  Fulfilling her wishes, you could say.
    Being alone isn't the worst thing...  I'd rather cry myself to sleep each night than be married to the wrong person.  When my wife died, I was doing good for several months.  Then the pity party started, my ship was listing hard, and I 'needed' to find another wife to get it sailing straight again.  Big mistake... not being honest w/ myself and God, and wanting to patch things up led me to marry again for all the wrong reasons.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis