Home Non Cigar Related

bourbon

jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
so my buddies bachelor party is coming up, we want to pool some money together to get him a very fine bottle of bourbon/whiskey, I dont really know what to get, looking to spend 60-80 bucks. any ideas?

Comments

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Go with a nice bottle of 8 year old Basil Hayden's... it's only $40 or so... it's my personal favorite... Well... I would prefer a Hirsch 16, but that's like $250...
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    My fav is Woodford Reserve. About $34 a bottle or so. Haven't had Basil Hayden's but I've heard excellent things. Or, well... it's not a true bourbon, but Jack Daniels Single Barrel is outstanding.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Bookers. End of discussion. Not that I am very well rounded in Bourbons, but I've had my fair share and this is number 1 in my book. Only 50 bucks and it is 127 proof that drinks like 80. Totally worth the price. It is single barrel, unfiltered strait from the barrel, and aged at least 6 years. Just tasty, tasty stuff!
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    If you're talking about a real nice bottle of bourbon, Wild Turkey American Spirit is right there. It usually runs for around $70 and is exceptional. It's not always readily available, but if you see it, then I would recommend picking it up. It would make for a real nice gift...very high quality bourbon, it's a bourbon that is typically drunk only on special occasions (due to its higher price point), and it usually has a nice presentation in regards to the container(s) it comes in.

Something that's much easier to obtain and runs around $40 would be Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Four Roses Single Barrel and Four Roses Small Batch. Those are all very nice bourbons, but without the pomp and circumstance of the American Spirit.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Hugemoose:
    Bookers. End of discussion. Not that I am very well rounded in Bourbons, but I've had my fair share and this is number 1 in my book. Only 50 bucks and it is 127 proof that drinks like 80. Totally worth the price. It is single barrel, unfiltered strait from the barrel, and aged at least 6 years. Just tasty, tasty stuff!
    I have a bottle of this open now too... same makers (or distributor?) as Basil... I like Bookers, but it's a bit heavier to me. That first sip is BAM... right in your face and it goes really well with a Punch Robusto... Don't get me wrong... the bottle I have is almost gone, but I've had it for about a year and have gone through almost 3 bottles of Basil in that time...
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    Hugemoose:
    I have a bottle of this open now too... same makers (or distributor?) as Basil... I like Bookers, but it's a bit heavier to me. That first sip is BAM... right in your face and it goes really well with a Punch Robusto... Don't get me wrong... the bottle I have is almost gone, but I've had it for about a year and have gone through almost 3 bottles of Basil in that time...
    +1 here...... for bourbon I like Bookers a lot. Binny's has it for about $50. If you want to go with whiskey, I like Crown Royal Special Reserve and splurge on the 1.75L bottle.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Ive never had it but I have heard absolute rave reviews about Buffalo Trace.. Seems to be in your price point and let me say I will be getting this one soon. Also Maker's Mark is pretty good with a fuller bodied smoke, I'm more of a scotch drinker myself... Hope I helped!
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Buffalo Trace is indeed very tasty. As is Woodford. Two of my regulars. I don't know that I'd call either one a special occasion bourbon, though. My choice would be Rock Hill Farms. Very smooth 100-proof whiskey.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Eagle Rare 17 I have heard very good things about. I love Eagle Rare 10 single barrell so the 17 should be much better.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Buffalo Trace is another favorite of mine. And Knob Creek. That is normal staple during college days at the apartment. The bookers was only broken out for the special occasions.
  • my pops had some bourbon at our favorite steak house the other day he couldnt remember the name of it...but it is produced in Cali from 4 different aged bourbons. He is quite a stickler when it comes to his spirits and it isnt very easy to impress him...that being said he loved it. I will try and find out the name of if for you guys.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Well, it seems y'all all agree on at least two distillers.. Bookers, Bakers, and Basil Haydens are all distilled by the Knob Creek distillery. It is their "small batch" collection. I think the price points run Basil, Bakers, Bookers up the scale, if I'm not mistaken. I've had them all, and personally like Basil Hayden's best. Now, I drink a lot of bourbon. I always find myself going back to Eagle Rare 10 as a go to drink, or Buffalo Trace. Eagle Rare is from the Buffalo Trace distillery. Eagle Rare 10 and Buffalo Trace will run you about 32 and 28, respectively, here in Mass. I recently picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare 17. It is excellent bourbon. It runs 68 per bottle here in Mass, but back home in Mississippi, it's 57 per bottle.
  • SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    By far my favorite bourbon is Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year old. It runs about $100 a bottle. The distillery also makes a 23 year old but runs about three times the price. Other than that my go to bourbon is Buffalo Trace due to its price point (very inexpensive at less than $20 a fifth) and flavor albeit just a tad too sweet on the finish, and also Woodford Reserve.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I really like Woodford Reserve, but lately I've headed to the great white north for a blended canadian ( I know, not bourbon) called Pendleton. It's made here locally and it's phenomenal
    SaVas:
    By far my favorite bourbon is Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year old. It runs about $100 a bottle. The distillery also makes a 23 year old but runs about three times the price. Other than that my go to bourbon is Buffalo Trace due to its price point (very inexpensive at less than $20 a fifth) and flavor albeit just a tad too sweet on the finish, and also Woodford Reserve.
    I've long wanted to try some of that Pappy Van Winkle 20. Can't seem to get it around here, though.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    thanks guys, my local liquor store sells bookers, ill go get a bottle tonight
  • SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    urbino:
    SaVas:
    I've long wanted to try some of that Pappy Van Winkle 20. Can't seem to get it around here, though.
    I can normally get it from my local Sam's Club of liquor stores that is about two miles from me. If you are interested see if they sell it to your state. Sometimes they are out of stock. Their website is
    www.shoprandalls.com
    If they don't let me know via PM. Maybe we can work something out. I'm happy to oblige a fellow BotL
    The Van Winkle website says one of my local shops has it. It's just one I'm not ever near, so I haven't been in there. I'll check it out now, though!

Thanks for the offer, SaVas. Very kind of you.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Hugemoose:
    The only thing that has kept me from trying the Bookers is the fact that it is 127 proof. Now that you say it drinks like an 80 proof I will have to get a bottle. I have been wanting to try it for a while and have been waiting for a friend to have some when I am over to visit. Now I will be that friend!
    i just finished a bottle of eagle rare 10 a couple nights ago! Yum, I need to go out and get some more. I have a couple bottles of Scotch to hold me over until I can get over to the packy.

• jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    the bourbon was well received, even got to try a little. that stuff is like drinking pure fire. you people are insane!!!
    This is news to you?
  • andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    I know I'm late but Pappy is unmatched!
  • If you have never had a product from Michter's you are missing out. I prefer their rye first, then their bourbon and finally their American Whisky. All fantastic.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    Hugemoose:
    The only thing that has kept me from trying the Bookers is the fact that it is 127 proof. Now that you say it drinks like an 80 proof I will have to get a bottle. I have been wanting to try it for a while and have been waiting for a friend to have some when I am over to visit. Now I will be that friend!

Don't let that 127 proof thing bother you. It's so smooth I prefer to drink it from a snifter like brandy. And it goes wonderfully with a good stick. Ol' Booker Beam knows how to make this stuff.

Marty

urbino:
    This is news to you?
    This is great!