Home Cigar 101

Looking for a great lighter

Spyk_Saturn12Spyk_Saturn12 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭
I can be a bit picky so sorry in advance 😅. I'm looking for something that:

1. You can see the butane level
2. Looks classy
3. Super wind resistant

I have a double jet lighter but it seems unless it's room temp outside and no wind it doesn't work the greatest. Sometimes it takes multiple clicks to get it going. Tonight I was fortunate enough to get my cigar lit but touch ups were damn near impossible.

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most reliable I've ever had is the Scorch Torch. Triple flame.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep your lighter warm. My torch lighters are hard to light when they're cold.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

$234 for an effin lighter?

Who the hell am I trying to impress?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like my Xikar Turrim 5x64 dual flame, but keep it warm in my pocket for best performance.

https://www.xikar.com/products/lighters/turrim/
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

not trying to impress anyone, @Webmost ; it came free with a large order from an etailer. It is very reliable which was the criterion of this thread. My next most reliable lighter is this insert for a zippo:

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

First of all, they all struggle with windy conditions. The CEO lighter by Bugatti has been one of my favorites. Built-in punch if you want/need it. Has a fuel window. It is reliable, unless you drop it. It's relatively cheap. Cheap is important to my next suggestion. Use about three of them in rotation so you always have a fresh one.

The same lighter is available under different name, but I can't recall.

P.S. It's a triple jet, and the jets seem to be angled slightly inward so the flame comes to a fine point. Great for initial toasting and great for re-lights and touch-ups.

Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Spyk_Saturn12Spyk_Saturn12 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm so maybe my issue is just keeping it warm. I got this cool looking little bullet with a small circular window in it I think it's by scorch. I love it with the exception of what happened last night (and a few other cold nights). Good to know. Thanks.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

This one only meets criteria number three. Doesn't have a fuel window and isn't that classy look. However, this one never goes inside. Ever. It goes with me golfing, it stays on my front porch, wind rain cold it doesn't matter. I can use this single jet in a 25 mile an hour constant wind with gusts. I constantly let it sit outside all night and when I go out for my morning ritual and it's 36 degrees, it lights right up without any hesitation at all.

Bonus feature, it has a soft flame switch. It's a single jet, but it's a huge jet and I easily light any cigar with it. It holds about a half a small can of butane.

My next best outdoor lighter that meets two out of your three criteria is my $8 triple jet firebird. You can turn this into a flamethrower by taking the adjustment wheel off and re-aligning the guards. The entire fuel tank is see through so you know how much gas you have left. Of course it isn't that classic looking lighter that you're looking for.

The only other one that I have that meets your criteria is this quad jet Rocky Patel lighter. 50 bucks. It doesn't work great in the cold you have to keep it warm. It does have a window that goes the length of the lighter and a giant button on the other side that's that has really easy trigger action. It also holds about a half a small can of fluid. Bonus feature it has the cigar rest on top.

If I were you, I would go for utility over looks. Dough over show. I think I paid $12 for that vertigo and it came with a cutter and a perdomo 24 oz travel mug with free shipping on eBay. I have the other lighters that I like to play with, but seven times out of 10 I'm lighting my cigar outside in the elements with that vertigo.

Don't look ↑