Home Cigar 101

New Guy here

zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭

Hey fellas, hope you guys are having a great day.  I'm new to cigars and have been reading through the forums for ideas and tips and what type of cigars to purchase.

Well, for starters, my wifes cousin send me some cigars that were locally made in New Orleans in the French Quarters.  She send me a box, with lighter and cutter.

Here are the cigars she send me and I'm curious if you guys would have any info as to taste and quality of these cigars.

On the box it says, 100% Cuban Seed, 100% long leaf

1. Plantation Reserve-Churchill

2.Plantation Reserve-Torpedo

3.Plantation Reserve-Lonsdale

4.Plantation Reserve-Panatela

5.Plantation Reserve-Corona

6.Plantation Reserve-Robusto

7.Tres Hermanos-Numero Tres

8.Tres Hermanos-Numero Dos

9.Vieux Carre-Cafe

10.Tres Hermanos-Numero Uno

Then she send 2 sticks each of Cognac, Rum, and Vanilla

I dont know if anyone can help since they were made in New Orleans and I guess they have their own blends.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Sorry Zebra, never heard of any of those sticks. However...WELCOME to the forums. Somebody will have heard of those likely, so you should get some information sooner or later.

• zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭

Well thats not good news.  I actually wanted to start with a good smoke and try something I can have feed back on.  I guess I'll just have to smoke them and see.

So when it says 100% cuban seeds, does not mean its a cuban cigar right?  Because all seeds are cubans?

Thanks for the welcome Laker!

I see this while surfing on the site..

Gurkha His Majesty’s Reserve (HMR), $750 for one stick!  Anyone ever had this before?? Wow!

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Gurkha HMR is currently the most expensive cigar you can buy (most expensive ever produced was the original Gurkha Black Dragon - $110,000 per box).

I never heard of any of those cigars either; they may very well be house cigars or a local blend.

As for your question about cuban seeds, you're correct - when castro took power, a lot of the cigar manufacturers fled, and many of the growers smuggled cuban seeds out in their pockets, which are now grown in Nicaragua/Hondura's, etc. Others can fill you in on the taste qualities of cuban seeds.

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    zeebra:

Well thats not good news.  I actually wanted to start with a good smoke and try something I can have feed back on.  I guess I'll just have to smoke them and see.

So when it says 100% cuban seeds, does not mean its a cuban cigar right?  Because all seeds are cubans?

Thanks for the welcome Laker!

Welcome from me as well!

Yet, Cuban seed doesn't mean it's a Cuban cigar... If it was Cuban it'd be illegal and wouldn't be in New Orleans...
    When the Embargo was put on Cuba some people smuggled the seeds out and planted them in other areas (Dominican, Nicaragua etc.) The seeds are from Cuba, but the nutrients in the soils, the amount of sun and the weather play a big factor in how the cigar is and tastes...
    Smoke on my friend Smoke on!

And don't worry about no one knowing about your cigars, some guys on the forums here think there locally rolled cigars are some of the best they've ever had

Thanks fellas for the infomation.

I just had one of my builders come to my business and I offered him some and he was very happy to take a few.  I'm not a cigar smoker yet, so I will see how this goes.  I def. want to try some premium cigars.  Just saw a video on how to cut and light cigars. 

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Welcome from Florida. Just because your sticks are local made does not mean they will not be great. Small botique brands are made all over that are very good. Smoke em and tell us what you think.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Welcome, zeebra.
    Lasabar:
    If it was Cuban it'd be illegal and wouldn't be in New Orleans.
    Because nothing illegal ever happens in New Orleans, right? :)
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I checked out the website: cigarfactoryneworleans.com....... Seems like a decent store brand. Made with Dominican tobaccos, which are always good. Their maduros look pretty tasty to me. You might have yourself some trading power if you want to try more premiums. Some of us on here are always looking to try local handmades. After you build up a rep on the forum, you should post a review of one of your local blends and offer a trade for a sampler pack.

I've gotton a few of the guys on here turned on to a local blend here in Chicago.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Welcome! Alien lives somewhere down there and might know of those brands but I have never heard of them.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    zeebra:

Hey fellas, hope you guys are having a great day.  I'm new to cigars and have been reading through the forums for ideas and tips and what type of cigars to purchase.

Well, for starters, my wifes cousin send me some cigars that were locally made in New Orleans in the French Quarters.  She send me a box, with lighter and cutter.

Here are the cigars she send me and I'm curious if you guys would have any info as to taste and quality of these cigars.

On the box it says, 100% Cuban Seed, 100% long leaf

1. Plantation Reserve-Churchill

2.Plantation Reserve-Torpedo

3.Plantation Reserve-Lonsdale

4.Plantation Reserve-Panatela

5.Plantation Reserve-Corona

6.Plantation Reserve-Robusto

7.Tres Hermanos-Numero Tres

8.Tres Hermanos-Numero Dos

9.Vieux Carre-Cafe

10.Tres Hermanos-Numero Uno

Then she send 2 sticks each of Cognac, Rum, and Vanilla

I dont know if anyone can help since they were made in New Orleans and I guess they have their own blends.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome, I have had some Great Local Cigars and some Not so great ones... seems everyones a cigar roller.... However From New Orleans there is a good chance that they will be good, many good things come through those swamps down there! Smoke um if you got um and then you will have something to Measure good and bad by!
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums Zeebra ....... wish i could help ya out with those sticks of yours
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Hey I was just down there a little while ago and smoked every one of those. They are all good cigars with the Tres Hermanos being the best in my opinion. They got a sweet little shop with 5 or 6 guys rolling. But they are definilty a worthwhile experience. Smoke em up! the ones with the light wrapper are mild, the brown wrapper are medium, and the dark wrapper are full. Pretty simple huh? Get to it.

Hey thanks for the information fellas.  Very helpful!

I did go to a buddies last night and smoked one.  I went with the Plantation Reserve, forget which one though as they got shuffeld around when some buddies were picking them.  I still have 2 of the Tres and a few of the Panatations left, including the torpedo.

Will try out the others and let you guys know.  If anyone wants to trade one, I'm willing to do so, but dont know how to ship a cigar yet.

here it is, this is exactly what i got...

ironhorse:
    Hey I was just down there a little while ago and smoked every one of those. They are all good cigars with the Tres Hermanos being the best in my opinion. They got a sweet little shop with 5 or 6 guys rolling. But they are definilty a worthwhile experience. Smoke em up! the ones with the light wrapper are mild, the brown wrapper are medium, and the dark wrapper are full. Pretty simple huh? Get to it.

Which hermanos was the one you liked?  Uno, dos or tres?  I dont think anyone took those, so I prob have all 3 with me.

All the guys who smoked one last night said they were good cigars, so I was happy they were not any bad ones.

Thanks for the info. 

• ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    The numero dos and tres are probably the best because the larger ring size smooths out some of the pepper from the wrapper. But in my opinion they are all good smokes. Nothing too complex, just down to earth cigar flavor. For a maduro, its just sweet and cocoa'ey enough to be pleasant without being too heavy and syrupy