Home Non Cigar Related

Handy man question

HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have these mirrors in my bathrooms. 2 of the 4 of them sit like this. They fall all the way forward and I can't get them to stay how I lean them. Anyone know how to fix this? I've googled but can't find the answer.

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

There is more than likely a small Allen key hole on the bottom or back of the bar that holds the mirror. Tighten them at your desired angle. If not then look at the bracket, possibly next he mirror rod.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy FiX.........Duct Tape.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you tighten up the pivot point? you might need to remove one from the wall and see if you can tighten it.

Or you could stick a toilet paper roll behind the bottom.

My Wife wants to know who the manufacturer is.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no way to tighten it. The way it works is there's two rubber pieces on either side that are supposed to provide enough resistance to keep the mirror in place.

I don't believe you. There is definitely a way, you just haven't discovered it yet.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    edited February 2020

Did the grommets move? Can you push them/move them to work? Perhaps the mirror itself moves up in the bracket to hold it in place, try picking it up and gently pulling it forward.

MOW badge received.

I don't know if these help.

More pictures of bracket, might help.

MOW badge received.

That design is stupid, wrap the rubber in teflon tape to make it wider.

MOW badge received.

Is there a screw that goes all the way into the mirror from the side?

MOW badge received.
    What's crazy is the other 2 mirrors work perfectly. You set them at the position you want and they stay. The one I'm posting pictures of is mine. It was working perfectly and then all of a sudden it started falling.

Teflon tape that **** and call it a day

MOW badge received.

I'll give it a shot

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

so, normally that black rubber friction ring sits inside the bracket and isn't visible when installed? It could be that the brackets on the two that don't function properly are installed a tad too far apart so there isn't proper tension on the pivots.

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Teflon, by design, is slippery. It would probably get worse. I seriously doubt that's purely a friction resistance pivot point. I'm betting @Patrickbrick is right and there's a friction screw in that joint, probably under the ring looking bits. The grommet is there as a spacer to fill the non interference fitting joint. Basically, it takes the slop out if the pivot.
    Do yourself a solid. Remove the mirror before it breaks then take the whole assembly off the wall. There should be screws in the bottom radius of the bits sticking off the wall like towel bars. Then get a real good look at that pivot. Got a Mi Querida says there's a friction screw.
    If it is just that tapered rubber piece, get some dish soap (less is more), lube the outer diameter and push the rubber outboard & back into the fixed part. The rubber may have migrated toward your mirror and loosened the pivot point's resistance.
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Edward is on to something.

I've heard that the way to fix car visors that don't stay put is to put fine sand in the pivot point. You could try this, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I think using electrical or teflon tape to build up the rubber gland would help. You might even put some tape on the shaft before you pull the gland over it if you like.

If that last sentence doesn't seam your mirrors, I don't know.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

.....but, I've got stock in Duct Tape.

The more I look at it, that tapered bushing has moved. It's not square on the cross tube. Shove that puppy back outboard. I'd still pull the mirror off to take the load off the cross tube though. That will allow you to wiggle the cross tube a bit to help coax the bushing into the pivot.

Wow. I can't believe I missed it in all that I looked at it. @Trykflyr_1 was right. I just pushed the bushing back on more and now it stays.

Thanks Paul!

...Nice...

Glad it works. I owe ya a Mi Querida! PM those nachos, Brother!
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 mirrors in the bathroom...SMDH
    A little dirt never hurt
    4 mirrors in 3 bathrooms
    @Trykflyr_1 I think you got it wrong. I owe YOU a Mi Querida. Nacho up!
    Sounds like Ricky's house.
    LOL I wagered a stick there'd be a screw in that pivot somewhere. There isn't. I lost, ergo, I owe ya. Hush.