Home Cigar 101

What can be done with a cigar that is rolled too tight?

AndypAndyp Posts: 3

Occasionally I come across a cigar that is rolled so tight, I can not smoke it. It has no "draw." What can be done, if anything, to get it to smoke?

Best Answers

Answers

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unroll it, and roll it up again.

Next time, make sure your filler isn't too damp.

Also, don't let the filler twist when you roll.

Beginner mistake. Happened to the best of us.

Well, maybe except for Fumador. He's got the golden hands.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• AndypAndyp Posts: 3

Thanks for your reply. But j know nothing about how to roll a cigar. All my smokes are bought.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @webmost has an excellent video.

https://youtu.be/TCqCESg3Q7c
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I was just pullin his leg.

Look, if your blunt draws too tight, then unroll it and loosen your bud. There's a reason they come all damp in a foil pouch.

But, seriously, I'm with Bob Luken on this one ... chuck it.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a perfec draw as well and works great on plugs... but over the last few years I have noticed some cigars smoke great when I get them in the shop... and crap at home... I realized that some oily cigars or tightly packed cigars might need a little extra humidity monitoring... I am in the south where it’s hot an humid.... keeping the humidor cool at 60-65 degrees and the humidor at 65 humidity has helped. For the extra oily ones ( ie broad leaf maduro ) , I heard a trick from Robert Holt of Southern Draw mentioned that you could “hot box” a cigar for a day or two, which he described as letting it dry outside the humidor ( assuming that you live in a dryer climate), to aid in the combustion.
    Again , regurgitating facts ... and eventually I will be joining your guys in “yo mama” jokes
    edited March 2020
    Also, if I have lit the cigar and the draw sucks...I throw it away in a heart beat

"Hot Box" = Dry Box to most. It can help.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Listen to @IndustMech poking a small hole through it will do wonders.
  • AndypAndyp Posts: 3

Thanks to all. I have ordered a "Prefect Draw" tool. This should solve my problem.

Again, thanks for your input.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to use this in my earlier days. But have since adapted to using a 5/64" x 6.00" with a 135 degree drill bit point angle. I've found this extra steep angle with the smaller bore, provides the perfect venturi effect thus, a perfect draw, vs over-boring to 3/32".

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
    Left hand or right hand thread, Dsyrun?