Home General Discussion

So this just happened 😳

Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in General Discussion

Wow, what a morning. When in for prep for my cancer treatment is morning. Short version, it didn't go well. Headed back to the hotel I'm staying at and grabbed a cigar to smoke in the little gazebo they have in back. I grabbed my go to favorite, Acid Kuba Kuba and headed to the gazebo. I get there and there is a guy on his phone there already. I make sure the breeze won't take to smoke in his direction and go to light up. I forgot my lighter in the room and then I heard the guys say on the phone..."there's a guy right in front of me with a Kuba." He hangs up and comes over to me and asks if I like the Kubas. I explain it's my go to stick and how I do sometimes catch flack for it. He shows me the pendent hanging from a chain around his neck...it's the symbol for Acid cigars. Then he pulls up his sleeve and shows me his tattoo..it is the Drew Estate logo!! He says he was a partner (not a founder) of Drew Estates when they started in the late 90's. Turns out i was smoking ( well attempting to but forgot my lighter) my Kuba in front of Rick Ardito, who had a hand in starting the Acid brand!! A big name in the cigar world. I was floored especially since I just had a bad experience in the treatment center only minutes before and was not in a good place to say the least. 

Rick asks if I need a light and after I said yes he said he would be right back and heads back into the hotel. He comes back out to the gazebo and hands me a box....it's a brand new Bugatti Vulcan lighter. He says it's a gift! Totally floored again. This thing is a piece of art as well as engineered to the nth degree. Among other things they use their own little butane pods that fit in the lighter itself. https://www.cigarsinternational.com/mobile/p/bugatti-vulcan-dual-torch-lighter/2023303/.

As @JGruvey can attest during Secret Santa last year the only thing I asked for by name was a Bugatti lighter. As  Jimmy found out they were scarce at that time although he gave me a great lighter that I use all the time.

This experience change what would have been another terrible day down here into one I will remember as long as I live. I will continue to enjoy my Kubas but now it will be with a wonderful memory associated with them. 

Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

Comments

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry about the C treatment, but great story about the lighter.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That kicks ass!!! Now if you can score a few young buxom.lasses to pour scotch & light sticks at the next DB herf we'd be set!
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a way to turn around the day. Those lighters are interesting, instead of refilling them you just install a small canister and the burners are replaceable too if they get too gunked up to work well.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that is awesome! I’m glad something positive came out of a bad day

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ What I like most about them is the price🤣
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you came out with a cool story and lighter.

MRI is my quiet time, fell asleep on the last one. I know a lot of people have trouble with them.
    I've had over 20 MRI and had no issues. This was a smaller machine and there were other factors involved.

That's your department brother.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you're in Phoenix. Got it.
    Don't look ↑
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's great that you met someone from the industry that was so nice. Hoping your next visit brings better results.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome!

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
    Started at Phoenix but they don't do the procedure I need. Nice try through.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonna catch a rockets game while you're in Houston?
    Don't look ↑
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coincidence that you met up, or is it? Stay positive and best of luck down there!
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Far_North_64, wow what a story. Praying for you, and cherish that liter. Cool story
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now all you need is a tattoo of the Bugatti and you'd be styling.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just thinking about how that conversation would have not gone the same way if I were there. That was really nice of Rick and I'm hoping you have a speedy recovery @Far_North_64

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    edited March 2020
    @BKDog . Maybe so but it meant the world to at that moment..

@VegasFrank nope, I hate pro basketball! I might steal a few signs while here though 😁

• KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s awesome and thanks for sharing! What a cool experience and gift. I’m sorry to hear about your bout with Cancer too. I watched my dad go through it. Thankfully he has been in remission for close to 15 years! You will beat it too!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry about the cancer, I can feel your pain, I have two more chemo sessions to go.

You said it all thinking of your not being there and missing a day maker. Hang in there and you will be there for many more great days.