Home Cigar 101

Strange substance showing up in humidor

adamc5488adamc5488 Posts: 3
Would anyone be able to tell me what this is? Looks and feels like corn meal. Can’t find any damage to the cigars, boxes, or humidor itself.

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be humidity beads, what are you using for humidity in the humidor?

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

do you have kids? If so you might ask them....

• adamc5488adamc5488 Posts: 3
    Using a cigar oasis humidifier with humidity beads. The substance is pretty far away from the unit though, humidor is 4’ w x 7’ h.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Heartfelt beads to me, If not it’s the Corona Virus.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's plume, bro. Looks like that humidor is ready to be smoked.
    Don't look ↑
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Termite turds?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had beetles before... I don’t remember these little white things... I would scope out for holes in the sticks just in case?
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's little pieces of your humidity beads, Daniel. Why would you have to ask, DZR? You're not much of a detective are you?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's frass. It could be from woodworms or possibly tobacco beetle larvae. I'm not an expert, but that's what I would say. After you clean the entire humidor, see if there's any wood damage.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thing it's not swarf.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or Bline
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
    Or cragg?
    Don't look ↑

But seriously, I didn't know that frass existed without it's companion element Sasa. This has just destroyed my world.

Don't look ↑
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote frass.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• adamc5488adamc5488 Posts: 3

May potentially be frass, from what I see online though it says it would be softer and more powdery if it was. The stuff in the humidor is harder, more like grains of sand. Haven’t totally removed all the boxes yet but can’t find any damage other than a couple missing wooden shelf pins. Not sure why bugs would only eat that type of wood, seems more likely they were missing to begin with.

Don't look ↑