Home Ratings & Reviews

The Tabernacle Havana Seed CT #142

TheBrooklynWayTheBrooklynWay Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
The Tabernacle Havana Seed CT #142
--------------------------------------------------
This cigar looks gritty. Dark chocolate toothy wrapper, double cap, minimal veins, and the tobacco packed pretty tight. No squishy points I can find. The aroma off the body is a dark roast coffee and earth. A bit of spice, coffee, and earth off the foot.

The draw is fairly loose, and on dry draw the flavors I'm getting are tobacco, earth, and coffee. This cigar looks great and smells pretty damn good.

1st 3rd:
---------
Strength is full on this cigar so far. The flavors I'm getting is earth and hay, mixed with black pepper. I'm also getting a buttery flavor in there as well that's a bit different for me; pleasant. The black pepper has a long finish. On retro, the same black pepper presents itself, very bold and hits the throat, long finish with a hint of a lavender note on the back end. Big buzz there, haven't smoked it long; could definitely be a room spinner for the lighter smoker.

Smoke output is medium off the foot and heavy on the draw. This cigar needs a bit more attention than I particularly like to have to give, needing triple puffs to keep it motivated, as I found out after it decided to go out on me...requiring a new light. As I ended the 1st 3rd, the draw opened up a bit, producing more smoke, but still requiring double puffs to stay in the game. The aroma of the smoke is potent; wood, dried leaves, and chocolate. Good pleasant aromas.

The draw is on the good side of loose. The burn is a bit uneven, and very flaky in appearance, but isn't falling. There are some cracks in the ash, and I did have to touch up the cigar.
-------------------------------------
2nd 3rd:
--------
Strength still full, bold, definitely noticeable. The flavors are still bringing those rich earth notes, now with a dark roast coffee. The finish is a bit shorter, and overall lighter on the palate. The pepper has now also mellowed on the throat.

Ending the 2nd 3rd, I started to get more chocolate coming through. On retro, I'm getting deep tobacco, deep earth notes, with a very subtle lavender floral underneath the layers. Retro hale still remains bold and strong.

Smoke output is the same, medium off the foot, heavy on the draw. This stick is still requiring a little babysitting, so, be ready for that. It tried to go out on me a 2nd time, so I had to smoke it a little faster than I would like. The aromas are the same, still pleasing.

Nothing has changed for the draw. The burn on this guy hasn't been the best requiring a couple of touch-ups to try to keep it even.
-------------------------------------
Last 3rd:
---------
Nothing has changed on strength, full body all the way through. Flavors are still full, rich earth, dark coffee, little subtle changes here and there, however, it's getting a little dry for me. Retro hale flavors are a lot more mellow, but still bold in the sense of it being there, being distinctive, not fading out.

Nothing has changed as far as the smoke output; for what you get, you will have to work for it. The aromas are still pleasant.

Same draw, nice, loose. Ash still the same, held up each time about an inch and a half before falling on its own.

Overall:
---------
This cigar was referred to me from a respected cigar shop owner I've had the pleasure of meeting a few times over the years, and whom surely knows his way around a humidor. By first glance (being I can be a band man) I was interested from the appearance of this stick. The bold chocolate appearance, the toothy wrapper, the unique band all said royalty...try me. The aromas from the body, dry draw to rounding up the 3rds were great in itself with the dark roast coffee, spices ping-ponging, dark chocolate and the subtle floral notes surly makes this stick a contender in the complexity charts.

Full body in strength all the way through, and can be a bit rough of an empty stomach. Even with me being a frequent full strength cigar smoker, this cigar still presented a buzz pretty quickly, and it hung around; again, this could surely be a room spinner for a lighter smoker.

Smoking flavors were very good for the most part, got rich earth notes, dark roast coffee, some dark chocolate and a mixture of pepper. The wrapper also had a pleasant buttery taste as well. To mellow things a bit a few subtle floral notes. I enjoyed the flavors until the ending of the last 3rd where things began taking a turn left in flavor as far as it just getting a bit too dark for my liking. Smoke output is decent, but this cigar requires a little T.L.C. to keep it going.

The burn was uneven throughout and required several touch-ups, however, it is a nice slow burner. No band or wrapper issues, but it did go out on me once, and almost a second time. I will give this another shot in the future and will be checking out this line.

~The Brooklyn Way~

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Another good review. 

I'm curious as to how long you had this cigar in your possession?  The reason I ask is because of the problems keeping it lit.  Was it new to you, or perhaps had been over-humidified prior to your purchase?  Just wondering. 

I'm not sure I've heard of The Tabernacle before, thanks for bringing it to my attention.  I always like finding out new things.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The double corona is so **** big it's a borderline weapon, this can be a factor.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • TheBrooklynWayTheBrooklynWay Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    Another good review. 

I'm curious as to how long you had this cigar in your possession?  The reason I ask is because of the problems keeping it lit.  Was it new to you, or perhaps had been over-humidified prior to your purchase?  Just wondering. 

I'm not sure I've heard of The Tabernacle before, thanks for bringing it to my attention.  I always like finding out new things.
    Thank you Amos!

I had the cigar in my humidor for a couple of weeks. I don't believe it to be over humidified when I bought it, or having any issues as I look over the cigars before I purchase them, not to mention I bought it from a respected cigar lounge. That doesn't mean the cigar could not have had other issues within...I did only buy one. I'm going to try another one soon. I'm actually trying the whole line.

You're welcome! Thank you again.
  • EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great review ... this is one of those cigars I had to “hot box” to get improved combustion... it’s certainly a popular cigar on a lot of reviewers list and this review was very objective and fair.