Home Cigar 101

Damp Salt for Hygrometer Calibration

ccezarccezar Posts: 97

Does this mixture really measure 75% humidity? I have both an analog and a digital hygrometer I'm attempting to calibrate in a bag along with the damp salt. They've been sitting in there for 24 hours and they are both reading 70%. So what should I do? Should I adjust the digital hygro and increase it 5% and make note of the analog hygro needing a 5% correction? Mmm... any advice would be nice. Thanks all.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    as long as the mixture is about right (it should almost be a gritty paste) it will read 75% my digital read 71% on the salt test. i just put a little sticker on it that said " -4 " so i know it reads 4 low.
  • BFGarnerBFGarner Posts: 96
    The first time I did the salt test I got 68% I did it again and this time made sure the baggie had a decent amount of air in it instead of almost none like the first time. I came in at 75% I did the test a third time to make sure it was correct and it did 75% Try that and see how it goes.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Good point BF yea you need to leave air in the baggie, don't vaccum seal it, lol.
  • sackermasackerma Posts: 45
    ya i calibrated a new one last night and it was like 7% off and i adjusted it, and now its reading 68% in the humidor with the drymistat stick in it... i think thats right, its a pretty old humidor, that i reclaimed from a neighbor who neglected it.
  • CastleCrestCastleCrest Posts: 51
    Try using a large glass jar instead of a bag.