Home General Discussion

2 + months without a Cigar - 14+ days to go

TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since my heart went into Afib around the 7th of January I have not had a Cigar. Around 2 1/2 weeks ago I was shocked for the 9th time but with 2 units tied together 720 joules did the trick. I have surgery scheduled for the 27th for an ablation in 14 days, after that I figure I will still need around 7 more days for things to heal. So when would it be safe to smoke my next cigar? I miss my smoke time!

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!

Comments

• KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep getting better! I would follow what the doctor says for when you can have the next cigar. Some people may say just do what you want, but you don’t want to risk anything after you have been through all of that. Hang in there!

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chances are good that your doctors answer to that question will be "Never". It's a knee-jerk response from most physicians. I quit all nicotine for about 6 months when I had my knee replaced, 2 months prior and 4 months post surgery, because nicotine inhibits new cell growth and repair. Ablations do not involve a lot of tissue repair, but, it is very important tissue, isn't it? You probably don't want to rock the boat, so to speak, for awhile. I'd probably give it 4 - 6 weeks myself.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Amos_Umwhat thats what I get told about slowing healing time. With that said I stopped one day before and 4 weeks after. But mine issues are not heart related. Best of luck Paul, you got this.

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Chances are good that your doctors answer to that question will be "Never". It's a knee-jerk response from most physicians. I quit all nicotine for about 6 months when I had my knee replaced, 2 months prior and 4 months post surgery, because nicotine inhibits new cell growth and repair. Ablations do not involve a lot of tissue repair, but, it is very important tissue, isn't it? You probably don't want to rock the boat, so to speak, for awhile. I'd probably give it 4 - 6 weeks myself.

I know your right, but I don't have to like it. At least this way I won't run out anytime soon. @Amos_Umwhat

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I hope you have a solid recovery and get to enjoy your cigars @TNBigfoot68
    And if it makes you feel any better, I haven't had a cigar in a long time, since it got too cold to smoke outside. I've been toking on the pipe tobacco, but not for about 6 weeks 'cause of the H1N1 hybrid disease I caught and still haven't fully gotten rid of. Edit -Okay, I cheated twice with the pipe but I paid dearly for it.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep on recovering my friend. Cigars will always be there when you're ready. More important is for you to get healthy. We will keep the light on for ya! Or in this case, we will keep the burn line moving slowly for ya...

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          

@TNBigfoot68 said:
    Since my heart went into Afib around the 7th of January I have not had a Cigar. Around 2 1/2 months ago I was shocked for the 9th time but with 2 units tied together 720 joules did the trick. I have surgery scheduled for the 27th for an ablation in 14 days, after that I figure I will still need around 7 more days for things to heal. So when would it be safe to smoke my next cigar? I miss my smoke time!

2 1/2 months not weeks fixed the quote.

@skydiverD said:
    Keep on recovering my friend. Cigars will always be there when you're ready. More important is for you to get healthy. We will keep the light on for ya! Or in this case, we will keep the burn line moving slowly for ya...

Appreciate it. This is a great family.

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pulling for you Paul

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TNBigfoot68 said:
    Since my heart went into Afib around the 7th of January I have not had a Cigar. Around 2 1/2 weeks ago I was shocked for the 9th time but with 2 units tied together 720 joules did the trick. I have surgery scheduled for the 27th for an ablation in 14 days, after that I figure I will still need around 7 more days for things to heal. So when would it be safe to smoke my next cigar? I miss my smoke time!

When I afibbed and got zapped, I eased back on gar smoking and ramped up on gar rolling. The RedHead tried to weaponize the event, of course, by asking the doc shouldn't I quit. He was pretty much don't worry about it. And, no, he doesn't smoke cigars. I continued to ease back and ramp up until zapped. Now, I am back to one a day. But I do roll mellow sticks, so my experience may not equal yours.

I do believe that one's craving for that wunnerful baccy aroma & relaxation is satisfied by mucking about in leaves. You do absorb some oil thru your hands and no doubt from the olorous atmosphere of it all. It doesn't stink up the room; but it does snurf up your nose to calm your brain. OTOH, it's not enough to get a nicotine buzz. That's the one part missing from rolling.

Good luck and remember the one-two-three: Number one killer is heart, number two the big C, but number three is iatrogenic.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck Paul, let us know when you’re good to go!

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigshizza said:
    Best of luck Paul, let us know when you’re ready for a beatdown.

Fify

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

@Bigshizza said:
    Best of luck Paul, let us know when you’re good to go!

Scariest words ever, @Bigshizza glad you are better and back around.

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was good to see ya on the vherf, Brother...

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...

It was good seeing everyone

Surgery put on hold because of Covid-19, bummer. May just smoke a gar anyway

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smoke a white owl brother. It's like not even smoking at all!

Don't look ↑
  • XWFD30XWFD30 Posts: 26

I'm a newbie & I don't know ya, but, listen to your Docs & don't do anything till you're Fully healed, if it's 2, 3 or more months, so be it. Remember this.....if you fall a second time, it's a longer way down, & it'll be a way longer climb back up.. All the best........